You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

ronniecruisin
05 September 2019 05:41 pm

Hi.all. Have read a bit re modding a tdi to increase depth capability. Does anyone know if this can be done DIY ie photos before and after and details of the parts and where they go so someone like me could do it with little electronic knowledge but with good soldering skills and working with small parts.... Regards.... Ronnie. argh

Oh Well!...It's not the end of the world.....That'll probably happen tomorrow!

mbasko
05 September 2019 07:32 pm

The only depth mod for the TDI I've seen is to increase the voltage to a 16.8v pack.

Other mods were to smooth the threshold & for small gold sensitivity/faster sweep speed. My belief both of these mods are now factory done in new TDI's but I can't confirm that.
The sensitivity/sweep speed mod requires removing & replacing 2 caps which probably should be done by someone experienced with the TDI or with electronics?
"The caps being removed are C20 & 21, .47uf and will be replaced with .22uf. Use 50v Panasonic, or Rubicon Stacked Metal Film Polyester type." Credit to Reg Sniff

Another mod was to decrease the pulse delay to 8us by adjusting the pot.

If you Google "Reg Sniff TDI mods" you can find more details & Reg's contact details. He may respond with more detailed info or point you to someone in Australia that can help. There is at least one Aussie who was assisting with TDI mods awhile ago.

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

ronniecruisin
05 September 2019 11:04 pm

Hi mbasco. One of the forums is where I saw reference to this and it was Reg. Apparently its possible but the trade off is the tdi's ability to discriminate. I just wondered if anyone has actually done it and if so ...how? I'm thinking the mod would possibly bring performance very close to a mlab.

mbasko
06 September 2019 10:26 am

You could try contacting Reg directly:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=3659
rgsniff@comcast.net

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

ronniecruisin
06 September 2019 12:56 pm

Good idea. I'll try that. Thank you big_smile

grubstake
09 September 2019 11:03 am

ronniecruisin wrote:

Hi.all. Have read a bit re modding a tdi to increase depth capability. Does anyone know if this can be done DIY ie photos before and after and details of the parts and where they go so someone like me could do it with little electronic knowledge but with good soldering skills and working with small parts.... Regards.... Ronnie. :argh:

Maybe/maybe not - apparently it depends on whether yours is an early or later model of the TDI:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 05#p315005

My understanding is also that at least the early TDI SLs used a TDI Pro circuit board with reduced functionality, so you may find some guidance about what you are seeking by contacting gflores71 at the email in his May 2019 post on the Detector Prospector forum:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/foru … ment-95742

Where it is, there it is.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site