You are not logged in.

  • Register to access all forum features  

#26

Whisp
Member
From: Nowra, NSW
Joined: 10 March 2017
Posts: 461
Member
19 August 2019 11:09 pm

Rustynails wrote:

We had a few dead laptops laying about the house so I opened the battery packs and salvaged the 18650 batteries. I bought a charger with a discharge / test function so I could discard weak batteries and group the remainder by capacity. Ended up with about 2 dozen batteries in the 2300mah range. I also bought a battery pack on eBay that takes 6 x 18650’s with an inbuilt protection circuit and 5v USB output which allows on the go charging of phones and even my nox if needed. The battery pack was about $20.

You want to get rid of the laptops? I'm interested.


NB: This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

#27

Rustynails
Member
Joined: 20 May 2019
Posts: 54
Member
19 August 2019 11:37 pm

Whisp wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

We had a few dead laptops laying about the house so I opened the battery packs and salvaged the 18650 batteries. I bought a charger with a discharge / test function so I could discard weak batteries and group the remainder by capacity. Ended up with about 2 dozen batteries in the 2300mah range. I also bought a battery pack on eBay that takes 6 x 18650’s with an inbuilt protection circuit and 5v USB output which allows on the go charging of phones and even my nox if needed. The battery pack was about $20.

You want to get rid of the laptops? I'm interested.

Sorry, disposed of them a couple of years ago.

#28

Whisp
Member
From: Nowra, NSW
Joined: 10 March 2017
Posts: 461
Member
19 August 2019 11:56 pm

Rustynails wrote:
Whisp wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

We had a few dead laptops laying about the house so I opened the battery packs and salvaged the 18650 batteries. I bought a charger with a discharge / test function so I could discard weak batteries and group the remainder by capacity. Ended up with about 2 dozen batteries in the 2300mah range. I also bought a battery pack on eBay that takes 6 x 18650’s with an inbuilt protection circuit and 5v USB output which allows on the go charging of phones and even my nox if needed. The battery pack was about $20.

You want to get rid of the laptops? I'm interested.

Sorry, disposed of them a couple of years ago.

Ok, thanks


NB: This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

#29

Ridge Runner
Member
Joined: 04 September 2014
Posts: 5,445
Member
20 August 2019 12:23 am

Rustynails wrote:
Ridge Runner wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
Ridge Runner wrote:
Ded Driver wrote:

just ordered the tray for my MXT big_smile

Your MXT will run for around 60 hours +/- using a set of Duracells, You might need to contact Whites to see if the MXT can handle the Voltage, The TDI's can handle up to around 16.v /16.4v but the MXT might have issues with that kind of voltage,

I always change my MXT Batteries at around 57 hours running Duracell AA's, running them down to about 8 or 9 volts. The MXT is voltage regulated so by adding a higher voltage will not serve any purpose and may kill the machine.

This battery tray only has 3 cells @ 4.15v per cell which results in a maximum terminal voltage of 12.45volts. Not a issue for the mxt.
I know some people are building 4 cell packs for the SL but this isn’t it.

The RnB packs are a waste of money when it comes to the MXT because the factory run times are grossly understated and the peak voltage of 18650's "might" be an issue,

Get the thermos out and have a cup of tea. You’ll feel better. smile smile

What are you waffling about I hate Tea, devil playful playful playful playful


Dig em all,

#30

snippifish
Member
Joined: 07 August 2019
Posts: 16
Member
20 August 2019 02:07 am

Thanks mate that was a big help to me thumbsup

Rustynails wrote:

Snippifish, have you
considered one of the eBay battery trays that run 3 x 18650 lithium’s? karellian65 did a review of them on this site, I’d post a link but I don’t know how. I run one in an mxt. The seller still lists them on eBay at $30US posted.

Last edited by snippifish (20 August 2019 02:08 am)

#31

snippifish
Member
Joined: 07 August 2019
Posts: 16
Member
20 August 2019 02:20 am

As seen on a few other forums.
Whites spare AA battery tray modified in Australia.
Batteries and charger available in Australia.
Fits: SPP, TDI SL and TDI Beach Hunter + others using same tray.

That's better then using only three 18650..I'm assuming these don't fit into the unit and have to be worn on a belt or something? Where would you get one of these?

#32

Ridge Runner
Member
Joined: 04 September 2014
Posts: 5,445
Member
20 August 2019 08:14 am

snippifish wrote:

As seen on a few other forums.
Whites spare AA battery tray modified in Australia.
Batteries and charger available in Australia.
Fits: SPP, TDI SL and TDI Beach Hunter + others using same tray.

That's better then using only three 18650..I'm assuming these don't fit into the unit and have to be worn on a belt or something? Where would you get one of these?

I made one up a few years ago using 9 X AA's which was good for about 6 and a half hours using 2700mah batteries, I still got here somewhere, I posted it on a few forums.


Dig em all,

#33

Rustynails
Member
Joined: 20 May 2019
Posts: 54
Member
20 August 2019 11:41 am

snippifish wrote:

As seen on a few other forums.
Whites spare AA battery tray modified in Australia.
Batteries and charger available in Australia.
Fits: SPP, TDI SL and TDI Beach Hunter + others using same tray.

That's better then using only three 18650..I'm assuming these don't fit into the unit and have to be worn on a belt or something? Where would you get one of these?

I measured a AA tray and an 18650 cell and yes it would appear that it could be modified to fit, but the sliding lid would not fit back on. What you see in the photo would be the completed article. The tray would fit in the battery compartment of the SL though and operate as normal.
Being a 4 cell pack the voltage would be the same as the pro, 14.4 nominal and 16.8 peak. I read an article by Reg Sniff where he stated that the SL will run safely on those voltages and gain extra depth due to the extra voltage in the unregulated transmit circuit.
I’ve never owned an SL so I’m only stating what I’ve read, so do your own research before you take the plunge. The article also warned that the same setup would probably smoke a vlf.

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

#34

Ridge Runner
Member
Joined: 04 September 2014
Posts: 5,445
Member
20 August 2019 12:50 pm

Rustynails wrote:
snippifish wrote:

As seen on a few other forums.
Whites spare AA battery tray modified in Australia.
Batteries and charger available in Australia.
Fits: SPP, TDI SL and TDI Beach Hunter + others using same tray.

That's better then using only three 18650..I'm assuming these don't fit into the unit and have to be worn on a belt or something? Where would you get one of these?

I measured a AA tray and an 18650 cell and yes it would appear that it could be modified to fit, but the sliding lid would not fit back on. What you see in the photo would be the completed article. The tray would fit in the battery compartment of the SL though and operate as normal.
Being a 4 cell pack the voltage would be the same as the pro, 14.4 nominal and 16.8 peak. I read an article by Reg Sniff where he stated that the SL will run safely on those voltages and gain extra depth due to the extra voltage in the unregulated transmit circuit.
I’ve never owned an SL so I’m only stating what I’ve read, so do your own research before you take the plunge. The article also warned that the same setup would probably smoke a vlf.

Yeah that's right, Reg is a Diamond, and those figures are correct, I wouldn't go shoving 16.8v in a V3i or the MXT or the GMT.


Dig em all,

1 user likes this post: Ded Driver

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site

Top