You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Elvin
14 April 2019 10:10 am

I have been doing some work on a property with bush, creeks and long grass in the paddocks. It hadn't worried me up until now, but after seeing 2 snakes, one either an eastern brown or dark tiger snake, I decided some snake gaiters would be the go. For peace of mind if anything. Just wondering who wears them out in the scrub, and what brand or recommendations you may have.

Dignit
14 April 2019 10:20 am

Hi Elvin
I don’t go detecting without them. I wear SnakeProtex.
Google them and I think you’ll be impressed.
Cheers

GPX 4500, pick, Jeep Cherokee and gold fever

4 users like this post: 7.62marksman, Tathradj, Chewy, rego7

Ben Digo
14 April 2019 05:31 pm

I use Snake Guardz. Can't guarantee them from personal use as I haven't had a snake attempt to bite me but they fit well and are easy to put on with the clips. Not cheap either, you can see the story here: https://www.outdooraustralia.com/articl … ardz-05743

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Deepseeker
14 April 2019 08:55 pm

I wear Double D canvas gaiters, they cost $75 from DoubleD

https://doubledleather.com.au/index.php … ch=gaiters

The trick is to not wear them too tight. You want a bit of an air gap between them and your pants underneath (although when it's stinking hot I still wear them with shorts anyway). I haven't encountered any snakes in the short time I've been detecting yet, but over the years when fishing I came across them occassionally and twice came close to being bitten by Tiger snakes and once by a Copperhead. I also carry a couple of snakebite bandages that have a compression indicator just in case- Something like these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Premium- … SwndRbcAQ7

I have seen some online that come from the US and they look armour-like with lots of articulating hard plates. I guess like with any equipment you get what you pay for.

-Deepseeker

Try hard not to offend. Try even harder not to be offended.

Redfin
14 April 2019 09:21 pm

Deepseeker wrote:

I wear Double D canvas gaiters, they cost $75 from DoubleD

I have seen some online that come from the US and they look armour-like with lots of articulating hard plates.

-Deepseeker

I think the DD gaiters are sufficient for our breed of snakes are in OZ, most have relatively short fangs, unlike the rattlesnake, whose fangs are huge.

Det used - Whites 6000D, ML SD2000, ML SD 2001, ML SD 2200D, Garrett Infinium. Minelab SDC 2300. Minelab GPZ 7000.
Current Det - Garrett ASD Groundhog. . Minelab GPX 5000. Minelab GPX 4500.

Deepseeker
14 April 2019 10:50 pm

Actually that's a valid point worth mentioning Redfin. The Coastal Taipan supposedly has the longest Fangs of any Aussie snake, measuring up to 14mm long, and for the 3rd most deadliest snake in the world, and with a distribution from far north WA all around the top coast to roughly Grafton in northern NSW, maybe some of those heavier duty Gaiters would be better for some situations?

I kind of admire our American prospector brethren also. At least we don't have to deal with Bears, Bobcats & Wolves. skull

Try hard not to offend. Try even harder not to be offended.

1 user likes this post: Ded Driver

Elvin
15 April 2019 12:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking for a while and needed another opinion. SnakeProtex are on order. Found them on special. I'll feel safer in a few weeks when I'm crashing through the long grass and lantana. big_smile

Gem in I
20 April 2019 09:13 pm

If you have the time stomp the ground till your delivery arrives.

Patience is a learnt thing. Learnt it, sold it. Bought DETERMINATION.
sdc 2300, Willoughby's, sieves and a Zombie 7000

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site