My knock up highbanker attempt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Made this beast over a couple of days. While waiting on my TIG, I thought what could I make without welding? I decided to make a Highbanker. Its not a forward classifier like my next project, its fed from behind.

Im yet to work out pump size, riffles or expanded or walbanker style...etc.

Made from sheet aluminium 1.6mm, and used scraps from a whiteboard and crutches.

Sturdy as ever!

1388215169_img_1283_480x640.jpg

1388215221_img_1284_480x640.jpg
1388215238_img_1285_480x640.jpg

1388215256_img_1286_480x640.jpg

1388215276_img_1287_480x640.jpg
1388215293_img_1288_640x480.jpg

1388215332_img_1289_640x480.jpg

1388215356_img_1290_640x480.jpg

1388215408_img_1291_640x480.jpg

1388215443_img_1292_640x480.jpg

Missing a few bits here and there and obviously need advice on the gold catching section. So far made the grizzly section quite long for the material to become liquified properly.

Ive used occy straps crossways to ensure the feet are dead still, and it works real good, feet made from thrown out crutches!

You'll have to call that one "The Beast" for sure mate. Certainly will handle some serious dirt, look forward to seeing the finished machine.

Cheers Wal.

Was thinking drink holders and maybe speakers on each side connected to the ipod!

Lol, it actually all folds up/ comes apart and I am making a backpack for the "beast"

I'd put a Red cross on it as it resembles a Rehab centre......people may become confused. You may be able to lease it out in the off season.
cheers.

Yep, the legs are super light, adjustable and robust. Best of all they were for free! You see anyone throwing out crutches (other than the old wooden ones) grab em!

Thanks for the support, quite happy with it so far and a good practice for building my next one. Bottom tray is only 1.2m, next one will be 1.5. The hard part starts now working out how shes gonna trap gold and pump size. She's worthy of a petrol pump so looking at options.

Nice Job Twapster, are you using spray bar or a jet (bottom up)?

That's a great idea for recycling old crutches. I have a couple of old crutches in the shed and never thought about using them as legs. Hopefully it all comes together and works a treat.

I was surprised with the legs myself, sat there for a day trying to come up with leg options and everything I tried was either too hard to construct easily, or felt unstable. When I tried the back legs in the current config, I was impressed with lightweight and stability. I wasn't going to use the same for front legs but then thought why not try and see how they pan out. I wanted the legs to come forward and out to have maximum stability......very difficult to design a leg set up to have that kind of stance and be easily dismantled, pvc pipe obviously works but not quite as rigid.

Anyway the addition of the occy straps putting tension on the legs keeps them forward....sturdy etc with the ability to smoothly rock the higbanker if required, legs arent stiff if you know what I mean.

Just bought a petrol pump today (cheapie on ebay) so getting closer to completing "the beast"

Its great to see the ingenuity that some people can come up with. I am currently working on the legs and classifier screen for my high banker. Living in a fairly small town with not much in the way of industry makes tracking down parts pretty difficult. Seeing what other are coming up with sometimes makes things a bit easier.

Love the legs, absolutely gold. I guessing your lucky that you had crutches not prosthetic legs under the house.

Here's a thought flor anyone with a legs issue. The other day we picked a dozen ally tarp pole for about $10 each. The telescoping ones in ally. The locking mech is very good, light weight. Sitting in the shed with a few sherbets, if you were building a high banker, if you bought four for legs, the off cut material from the poles would come in handy for the support frame.

Or another easy one, buntings carry SHS tube corners, these are cast and belt into 20 or 25mm SHS, you can get 2, 3 and even four way corners, make it easy for those that don t have access to ally mig or tig.

Latest posts