You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Greglz86
21 October 2018 08:31 pm

Hey guys. I’m losing confidence in the TDI Pro’s ability to find small gold.
I’ve done a couple of air test demonstrations and wasn’t impressed with the results to a point where I think it could be the detector not performing for whatever reason.
But user error is still a likely culprit ops
Threshold was higher than I wanted it to be because it was just too noisy and warbly regardless what the gain was set at so for the purpose of the test I pushed it as high as I could.
But here’s the vids. What do you reckon? Personally I feel as though both coils should have picked up the .2 gram nugget a little more easily.
Greg

Maldon Gold Centre
23 October 2018 09:06 pm

The threshold sound should be like a little stable mosquito like sound in your ear. You need to be using headphones to hear the slight variations in tone. In those videos the threshold is too loud to hear faint targets.

Maldon Gold Centre - Authorised Sales of Garrett, Nokta, Makro, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Teknetics & White's.
Maldon Gold Centre - Open Weekends & Public Holidays - 54 Main Street Maldon - Ph: 1300 575 707

2 users like this post: ProspectorPete, Greglz86

Ridge Runner
23 October 2018 10:04 pm

On the TDI Pro and the TDI SL on small targets on the edge of detection some times all you will hear is a Waver, NOT a woo woo sound, That waver can sound as faint as a wind noise so you need to be wearing headphones to hear it, and the threshold needs to set so you can only just hear it,

Using a loud threshold will wipe out most normal small nuggets, so run it very low and listen for the faintest of wavers, If they are that small they can even sound like ground noise and when you find one Boot scrape the ground or use your pick and see if it gets louder and keep doing that, if it does dig,

hope that helps.

Dig em all,

nesral
24 October 2018 09:40 am

Try reducing the gain to 6 with the rest of the settings as in the videos.

1 user likes this post: Greglz86

Greglz86
24 October 2018 08:34 pm

Thanks guys. The threshold was higher than I wanted it to be. Was having a little difficulty keeping the warbling to a minimum.
I’ll try again soon with gain on 5 or six and see how I go but from memory I was doing this but was still missing the small stuff.
I’ll make another video for comparison.
Turned out to be a bit of a lame day. Tried to get to a area I’ve been interested in for a while but after walking past 2 brown snakes and having a tiger snake charge at me I went elsewhere.
Learnt how high I can jump

4 users like this post: robmoto, Ridge Runner, ProspectorPete, mudgee hunter

Greglz86
24 October 2018 08:50 pm

Also, who else hates wearing headphones? Or is it just me. I wear hearing protection for easily up to 30 hours a week. Wearing headphones on my weekend doesn’t make detecting enjoyable for me.
Before I sold the sdc to go towards building my house I was alternating ears. Keep one ear on and one ear off. Then after a while I just left it off.

7.62marksman
24 October 2018 08:59 pm

i am with you mate i never use them
cant hear what happening around me with head phones on

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Ridge Runner
24 October 2018 10:31 pm

Greglz86 wrote:

Also, who else hates wearing headphones? Or is it just me. I wear hearing protection for easily up to 30 hours a week. Wearing headphones on my weekend doesn’t make detecting enjoyable for me.
Before I sold the sdc to go towards building my house I was alternating ears. Keep one ear on and one ear off. Then after a while I just left it off.

I like em because outside noises distract me a bit, with headphones I get Locked in on what's happening, Have you tried a speaker system yet, that might help and boost the signal return in the process ?.

Dig em all,

ctxkid
25 October 2018 07:39 am

Greglz86 wrote:

try wearing ear buds , awesome for hearing in detail whats is happening cool

...................................................Such is life........................................................
Oldest Copper coin 1799 left seated half penny, Oldest Silver 1834 Shilling

Greglz86
25 October 2018 09:23 am

1540418687_999cc6cc-a136-44a8-b9e9-b2eeab9e8455.jpg

I’ve got one of these at home somewhere. It’s just a el cheapo from eBay. I’ll hook it up and have a go.

nesral
25 October 2018 11:04 am

I got 2 pickers around 0.1 gram that will not register when using mono coils on the TDI Pro, even with the Super Pulse 150 (6.5") mono coil.
Both pieces will register slightly on a 10x5" F8 mono and clearly when using a 10x5" DD coil even with the threshold below audible.
My 0.2g 18k+ WA nugget will register clearly on all above coils in Low with GB at 8 and minimal threshold audio.
Needles to say my favourite small nugget coil is the 10x5"DD.

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, Greglz86

Ship of fools
26 October 2018 04:18 pm

I would prefer to not be tied to the machine but I do use the sp01 and plugs because it does make a difference.
I run the threshold on the quiet side of the "warble" but still have some the spikes that you can hear in the video and take a bit of time doubling back over the areas that I hear the spike, (this does get frustrating).
Your Tdi seems to be on par with mine, I use a 0.25g lead peice to set up when having a swing and that is about the bottom of what I expect to find (lead is a slightly better conductor).
A while ago I was offered a Gpx4500 by a friend from work, he told me to try it out for a while so I had it for about four weeks. Running them side by side on the 0.25 test bit the Gpx was about an inch better, no doubt the gpx is better on anything under 0.5g but they leveled out at 0.5g.
Personaly I find the Tdi more user friendly.
Matt T

Fools go where angels fear to tred.
HMV $5k, White Tdi, Garrett’s Infiinium and Max, XP mi-4 pinpointer, pots, pans, picks, shovels, and a lot of blurred thinking!

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site