B&Z booster information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi greybeard,

I got one for the Z and am impressed with it but I am not sure how different the audio is between the Z and the 4500.

The theory is that turning the volume up on the Z makes it much more jittery in the threshold. Using the booster means I can turn the volume on the detector down real low and then after the audio has left the detector, turn it up with the booster. Simply means a smoother threshold and I do like how I can turn the booster audio RIGHT up if working in noisy, dry leaves or if the kids are around, etc.

Personally, I have been back over a spot that I had found a few nice pieces and had then flogged with all sorts of settings on the Z to the point where I was positive I had got every target possible with that machine. Only a small area - maybe 3X4 metres. Did it again when I got the B&Z and promptly got 3 more very deep targets. All rubbish unfortunately but it showed me that it made a positive difference.

With the paperwork that come with the B&Z there should be a little story from JP about his experience when he first used an audio booster and why he uses the B&Z - from memory that story was when he was using the 4500 or 5000.

Good luck :Y:

Don't be disheartened you can now get one or two external speakers that plug into the booster,then you can do away with your headphones and go wireless.
Just do a Utube google and see how it works.

Cheers

Thank you both Gravity and Northeast, I'll be buggered. I'll take it all back and apologies to B&Z booster. I didn't realise that turning the volume distorted the signal. I have an external speaker on my GPX5000 anyhow. I'll be going to the GT this weekend and try out the unit with the booster before opening my yapper hee hee. I had a bad day, after buying the booster I put my wallet into my jacket pocket, I forgot I had a hole in my jacket pocket and lost my wallet with credit cards, licenses etc. So, sorry if I'm a bit peeved off.
And NO, no-one turned it in. Should expect that in moccasin town part of Ballarat.

Lost wallet = really bad day. Hope you get it back.

Need to clarify though that the whole volume distortion thing relates to the GPZ. I'm really not sure how relevant it is to the GPX series. I would ring JP and ask him :Y:

graybeard77, if in the GT this weekend checkout the Queens birthday weekend post, quite a few of us there see you in the Golf club for dinner and drinks :Y:

when I had an sdc I ran the signal through this, boosts signal, 100 different fx and endless peramiters. makes a light saber sound boring lol
oh what fun..
1496999406_wp_20170609_18_57_57_pro.jpg

The GPX booster that is in the battery only works with a external speaker but you can rewire your headphones so the booster amps them ,its advisable to use a volume control in line.I have been using a B&Z over the last few weeks and have been happy with the result only using minimal volume 1 with headphones regards john :)

The Target Volume control works with speaker and headphones, it's just that extra gain is triggered when a correctly wired speaker is connected.

I wouldn't advise doing this to headphones - it's way too loud, unless you have bad hearing loss.

Increasing the Target Volume can make the machine a little more erratic but it depends what your machine is running like for starters. If it's super smooth, then increasing Targ Volume won't make it more erratic.

If you have good hearing and are just using a single speaker I think the internal amp is good enough for the 4500 & 5000. But if it's really windy or you want to use dual speakers, then an external booster is the go.
It's also nice having the bypass switch handy.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm pleased that a forum such as this exists where members can have their questions answered. I do have a single external speaker, I wasn't aware that that I already had an internal amplifier that was sufficient for my needs. It seems that I did not need the external booster, but now that I have one I'll use it on noisy days. Once again, thank you :Y: :Y:

hi, This is my first post so be kind to me!! I would like to find out which audio signal booster is the best for the sdc 2300. Is there one that boosts the actual signal and not all the extra noise? What is the difference between a booster and an enhancer?

ladysdc said:
hi, This is my first post so be kind to me!! I would like to find out which audio signal booster is the best for the sdc 2300. Is there one that boosts the actual signal and not all the extra noise? What is the difference between a booster and an enhancer?

Ladysdc, have a chat to Nenad at Phase technical (he's also on this forum) about the sP01 enhancer/booster. ps, there is a connector adaptor you need for the SDC.
You can also find many member comments on the unit on this forum. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24170
great bloke to do business with :Y:
Phase Technical
http://phasetechnical.com.au/
[email protected]

Thanks so much for your advice,it's been really helpful. I found the members comments also to be helpful. Has anyone heard of the Gromkey booster? Looking forward to listening to everyones experiences and to finding my way through all the info that comes up. I am into lapidary as well as detecting and also make silver jewellery. The next step is to turn my hard earned little nuggets into pendants.

Hi mate, have had at least 7 or 8 B&Z's over the years.
All worked okay most of the time but every one suffered an annoying hum that drove me nuts and every one needed repairing at some stage. I don't abuse my gear, but I do use it heavily. I just found they weren't all that hardy.

Honestly, between a B&Z and the SP01 there is daylight. IMHO spend the extra and get the SP01

Thanks madtuna

Yeah I had seen Jono porter using them and a few other people with them so thought why not grab one. My wireless speaker on the 7000 does cut in and out every now and then and I like the idea of having two speakers to be able to hear the sound in both ears when its windy.

Do they help with stabilizing the noise from the detector and decrease the overload sound when metal is right near the coil?

Geez 7 that needed to be repaired defiantly sends the vibe that they have something in them that isn't strong enough for the outback!

justoverthehill said:
Thanks madtuna

Yeah I had seen Jono porter using them and a few other people with them so thought why not grab one. My wireless speaker on the 7000 does cut in and out every now and then and I like the idea of having two speakers to be able to hear the sound in both ears when its windy.

Do they help with stabilizing the noise from the detector and decrease the overload sound when metal is right near the coil?

Geez 7 that needed to be repaired defiantly sends the vibe that they have something in them that isn't strong enough for the outback!
JP makes and sells the B&Z so it makes sense for him to use them.

I use twin speakers as well as headphones when the conditions call for them.
The SP01 has the clearest and cleanest of sound of any booster I have ever used. Importantly for me, it doesnt have the annoying hum I experienced with the B&Z plus a few others Ive used.

As with any booster, youll still get overload when metal is too close to the coil, but Im not sure what you mean by stabilise the noise?

Edit.... dont get me wrong, the B&Z worked fine and Id be using one if Pat and Nenads parents had worn condoms, but for me the SP01 is just that much better.

I have both. Originally got the B&Z from JP for the GPX5000 and it worked well. However when I tried it on the SDC2300, I got a very annoying hum, using the same speaker and patch cable as on the GPX. The hum was not present when used on the GPX.

I then got the SP01 and it would be my number one pick for an accessory for the SDC. Having the volume boosting capability and filters makes the SDC so much better.

I've retired the B&Z as over the years I know what the GPX does and can adjust its settings such that it doesn't need boosting.

BTW, I use the SP01 fitted to the side of the SDC via Nenad's patch lead for input and the Deteknix wireless Tx on the output to feed the wireless phones. If it's too warm for headphones, I have another Tx paired to a Rx module I can plug my speaker into.

That's my second addon choice for the SDC as it's great not being wired to the detector. :)

Sweet so it looks like a SP01 is the go. Just having a look at it on youtube and it seems like it does a pretty good job at helping signals stand out!

Latest posts