Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Angela,

I use an X-Terra 705 and think I know what you are experiencing. Target starts sounding good with a good number then disappears or changes numbers. Firstly it is not unknown that you can get false signals that sound good initially and then once you scrape the top off the soil a bit they just vanish. This can be a bit of metal filings in the soil or rust off something or some mineral sand, etc, etc.

When you have the machine set up to reject some targets in normal coin hunting mode (I'm assuming you have the low and minus numbers for iron rejected) and then switch into pinpoint you are effectively turning your reject function off. So if you pick up a coin ID number or an aluminium can or whatever in coin mode and then start pinpointing you will pick up any iron targets in the near vicinity as well. A positive pinpoint that shows no numbers can sometimes be a target that your machine previously rejected.

Rusty iron reacts differently to a nice fresh nail and galvanised iron/steel reacts differently again depending upon how much zinc was involved in the galvanising process. I often get fooled by galvanised roofing screws which give a nice silver 36-38 tone.

Many things will cause your machine to vary it's response to targets, we are not involved in an exact science. Soil type, moisture in the soil, corrosion of the target, I find that the longer aluminium has been in the ground corroding the more difficult it is to identify as it sounds more and more like good targets. How much you can dig for a target obviously depends upon where you are. In the backyard, on private land with permission or at the beach you can dig halfway to China if you want. In a public park you are somewhat more limited. Depending on the soil condition you should try digging a small hole in soft soil and having a look anyway or if the soil is concrete hard like my winter/dry season Nth Qld soil I'll often just walk away from it.

This is when a hand-held pinpointer becomes invaluable. If I get a target in a public place that I can't find by holding my pin-pointer hard onto the surface I know it is at least 100mm deep. I will usually dig down about 100mm, if I can, then try again with the pinpointer. If I still can't isolate the target and the soil is like concrete I'll usually fill the hole back in and make a note to try again one day after some ground softening rain.

In answer to the second part of your question I use the ID numbers alot and investigate most targets that give a consistent signal above 18 to 20. After digging many 5 and 10 cent pieces in the past I've decided I'd rather spend my time hunting a goldie coin or a silver ring than digging small decimal coins. I still dig plenty of rubbish because as you know a screw type drink bottle top sounds and IDs exactly the same as a $2 coin and bits of aluminium can range all the way from 20 to 40. A screaming 34 can be a whole can or a shallow $1 coin.

As is often said on this forum and in life generally "If it was easy then everyone would be doing it?"

Hope this helps you a bit.

Cheers,
Graham

Thanks Graham for taking the time to share your hard earned experience with us new players. You have confirmed much of my early learnings on my CTX 3030. May be a more advanced machine but still gets tricked by those darn aluminium screw tops. The cans I reject by lifting the coil up from the target and testing the range. If the machine can still ID it over 1 foot then it is likely a big junk can...

There are 3 XTerra 705 packs the standard,the dual metal and the gold pack. Are they all the same base detector with different coils?On the Anaconda website the description states that the standard model which is $699 takes 4 AA batteries whereas the other 2 packs take 2AA batteries.Always thought that they were the same detector until I noticed this.I ask this because I was going to purchase the standard detector and buy the coil which comes with the gold pack later maybe.

Upon further investigation it appears the Anaconda description is wrong,they all take 4xAA batteries.I have been watching the 705 on Anacondas website because they are frequently at 20% off so hadn't looked at any other retailers.Anyway nothing to see here guys,carry on.LOL.

Mate, pretty much everything you could want to know about the XTerra is gathered together right here on PA in a single brilliant thread:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15568

In particular, the Instruction Manual, the Field Guide and Understanding Your Xterra are all packed with info to help you understand the 705 and become successful ASAP. :Y:

Hi all I am wanting to know if we can use two 705s next to each other or whether it will cause interference & cause the 705s not to work properly.
I know with my 2 boys bounty hunter trackers they both cannot detect near each other as they interfere with their detectors. I have a 705 for myself but
took my daughter out with us detecting on the weekend & she has got the bug & now wants her own detector. So it looks like I have to fork out more
money & buy her one for Christmas. Any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers Tony.

tones69 said:
Hi all I am wanting to know if we can use two 705s next to each other or whether it will cause interference & cause the 705s not to work properly.
I know with my 2 boys bounty hunter trackers they both cannot detect near each other as they interfere with their detectors. I have a 705 for myself but
took my daughter out with us detecting on the weekend & she has got the bug & now wants her own detector. So it looks like I have to fork out more
money & buy her one for Christmas. Any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers Tony.

I'd be holding out to see the price on the Equinox. I think it might me a much better detector than the 705.

,Thanks Moneybox for your advice. I might just let my daughter use my 705 for the time being & wait a couple of months till the Equinox is finally released.

Hello all you tech minded detectorists,just wondering if it is worth getting a coil repaired {if able} or buy a new one,as my 18.75 khz coil has decided to play up.It has no depth ability and erratic number id on the same object I hooked my sons one up to the detector an it works fine so i assume that part is ok.The concentric coil works fine as well.Any info much appreciated.
Cheers Rod

1516269835_8.jpg

It may well be a broken wire at the plug end.
If the detector is still under warranty send the coil back to ML, if not, open the plug end up and have a look to see if there is a broken wire
Its an easy fix if it is
I have repaired a few coils up here in H.E for other detectorists that have had broken wires at the plug end

Thanks for the info but i have had a look at the plug & its ok,but i did a bit of probing with a ohm meter across various contacts & compared to the good one and getting different or no readings at all so looks like it might be down in the coil end.The detector was bought in 2010 so out of warranty.
Cheers Rod

Good on ya Troutman,after reading that I reckon youve advanced my searching by years thanks heaps :Y: :Y:

Hi guys, I have done days of research and can't find the answer I am looking for. I know this general question has been asked a million times.

I just purchased a 705 that came with the following 3 coils: 6" 18.75kHz DD, 10"x5" 18.75kHz DD, and a 15" 18.75kHz DD coil.

I am going to Heathcote/Bendigo this long weekend to do some prospecting and want to know which of my coils I should be starting off with. I have read about the advantages of the 6" vs 10"x5", but cant find anything about the 15" for gold besides its description on the minelab site.

Is the 15" going to be any good for fine gold or should I be just starting off with the 10"x5". I don't want to spend days swinging with the 15" only to find out later that it was unsuitable and would have just passed over any fine gold. I have done heaps of reading about setting up the 705 for gold and the technique of going really low and slow already.

Thanks in advance

Hi 1968

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but to be completely honest the 705 isnt going to be getting Fine gold and by Fine Gold Im talking .5 of a gram or any real sub gram stuff, if theres a gram nugget and its pretty much sun baking and youve got the small coil on it youll have a better chance of picking it up, but yes if its obviously a bigger piece of gold like most other detectors you should be able to ping it! If your coils over it.
If I was you and your objective was just hunting gold Id just hire a gold detector such as an SDC for the day or weekend.
Regardless have a great time out there and best of luck.

Latest posts