Advice on best Coin Detector.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers guys, I have been reading up on the x-terra series now, plenty more researching to go.
I have seen the garrett 300 ace is in the similar price range, anybody have experience with these?
I am not brand specific, I will be getting a 7k mid next year for the gold so this will be specificley for coins and jewlery only :Y:

I only use an Ace250 with no ID at all and I enjoy the garrett experience ,.... I can only imagine that the garrett with ID numbers would be every bit as easy to use as the 250 is LORD.
:Y: ;) :Y:

Silve, I see your detector is the US version. Anyone know where i can get a US 300 and not the international 300i here in oz

Well for better or worse i have gone and ordered the new garrett ace 300.
Cant wait for it to turn up, better start researching some areas to try.
I am from SA but my town has only been around since the 80's so no pre decimals here. I will be spending a fair amount of time in Port Pirie if anyone has tried any detecting there??

G'day Mates.

I'm new to detecting. My goal is to become a professional GOLD detector, but I'm experienced enough in life to know that isn't where a bloke typically starts. So to get some immediate detecting experience under my belt, complete with camping and overnight expeditions starting in May-August 2018, Here's the plan:

In my region of the USA: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, and South Dakota (We call it the 5 state area), there are hundreds of abandoned ore and taconite mines in Minnesota, and some gold mines in the Dakotas, dating back to the early 1900's. Moreover, there are THOUSANDS of abandoned properties from that same era containing old broken down homes, cabins, sheds, etc.. My intention is to get owner permission to search common areas like walkways, porch entrances, old outhouse locations, mine entrances, etc. SPECIFICALLY detecting for old Copper, Nickel, and Gold coins.

That said, the ground in those areas are typically a sandy and/or black soil surface from about 1/8 to 1/2 meter down, then turning to a mix of small gravels and larger rock up to a meter. In some cases however, it will be small gravels straight away. In the areas I'll be searching, I wouldn't think i'd have to dig more than about 20 - 40 cm. However, in those old outhouse locations, up to 2 meters could be possible.

Being my own back yard contains all of those above mentioned conditions, that's actually where I'd start, probably clearing a 5 meter x 5 meter area, then burring a few coins and earrings at different depths for practice.

So... given all that information: What's the best Hi-Tech detector that can be bought in the USA that's perfect for that job?

P.S. Money is less of a concern, but I'm a prudent person, so if cheaper is just as good... I Just want to buy the absolute best tool for the job, without too much overkill.

Howdy

There are a lot of coin detectors on the market

Most of the modern ones work using a target ID numbering system to assist identifying / narrowing down what the target is .

Also the last few years a lightweight detector seems the theme of manufacturers .

The main brands - Minelab , Garrett , Whites , Fisher , Macro , NokTa & XP probably cover the broader range .

There are some good / large Detecting forums in USA , www.findmall.com comes to mind .

Price wise , in USD , they range from 250 - 2000 USD & over time you will pay for the Detector in clad finds .

T . Trash :)

Danny13 said:
Garrett , deus , ctx (minelab) will serve you well.

So all signs are pointing towards Minelab E-Trac. However, the wrench being tossed into the mix is the impending release of the Equinox 600 and 800. I'd hate to throw down $1700 USD on an E-Trac, only to discover later that I could have got darn near the same thing for $900. I notice you use the 5000 and the 3030. Being this is going to be my first detector, and ultimately I'm going to be specifically a gold hunter, I guess I be interested in getting more of your thoughts on the matter.

Bloke on another site said to get an E-Trac with 3 different coils. At this point I wasn't even aware there were interchangeable coils, to give you an idea of just how inexperienced I am.

If I were just getting into coin detecting and jewellery hunting I'd wait for the Equinox 800, that would pay itself off quite quickly I reckon, it would for me and I know it. :Y: Then with finds from the Equinox I'd save them and put it towards a dedicated gold detector.

My CTX has paid off itself and my gold detectors for me.

The Etrac is a great detector as well but is not quite as good as the CTX, the Equinox is looking like it's going to be somewhere in between the 2 and maybe more, they are getting outstanding but limited reviews from most people testing them. I am very much looking forward to getting one.

The problem with detectors is that there really isn't one that does everything, though the Equinox possibly could be the detector that does.

Heatho said:
If I were just getting into coin detecting and jewellery hunting I'd wait for the Equinox 800, that would pay itself off quite quickly I reckon, it would for me and I know it. :Y: Then with finds from the Equinox I'd save them and put it towards a dedicated gold detector.

My CTX has paid off itself and my gold detectors for me.

The Etrac is a great detector as well but is not quite as good as the CTX, the Equinox is looking like it's going to be somewhere in between the 2 and maybe more, they are getting outstanding but limited reviews from most people testing them. I am very much looking forward to getting one.

The problem with detectors is that there really isn't one that does everything, though the Equinox possibly could be the detector that does.

LOL! Good read on it MATE! Your in tune with me. Over the past couple of days I've been hot on the trail, and ALL arrows are pointing to Minelab. As of last night I was tossing between the 3030, E-Trac, and This Equinox 800. As of receiving notification of your post, I'm on post #39 here:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23409&p=2

Watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxXHMedHwC8&feature=youtu.be

My vote would be the Nokta Impact or Fors Relic. Both will work well for where you are intending to go.

If you want waterproof, then a toss up between the Equinox 800 or Multi Kruzer - both out very soon.

PhaseTech said:
My vote would be the Nokta Impact or Fors Relic. Both will work well for where you are intending to go.

If you want waterproof, then a toss up between the Equinox 800 or Multi Kruzer - both out very soon.

It's looking like I'm gonna hold out for an 800. The snow melts and warms up in my area end of March, that's pretty much the beginning of the season here. So the timing of this anticipated launch is perfect for me. If it turns out to be a flop, I'll likely go with an E-Trac. I have yet to put my hands on anything, so it's possible the 3030 may end up winning the race.

I sold my E-Trac after my MXT blew it away, the MXT just worked better and had more depth and it can see nuggets about 30x smaller maybe more, Not only that but there is about 50 or 60 coils out there made for the MXT series, and the MXT has had huge success at finding Gold in the US and across the world more so than any other VLF, It's not cluttered with bells and whistles that you don't need,

Everyone has their preferred machine and mine is the MXT, but regardless of what other machines I buy I will always own an MXT, All the machines mentioned are good work horses you just need to find one that appeals to you the most.

Ridge Runner said:
I sold my E-Trac after my MXT blew it away, the MXT just worked better and had more depth and it can see nuggets about 30x smaller maybe more, Not only that but there is about 50 or 60 coils out there made for the MXT series, and the MXT has had huge success at finding Gold in the US and across the world more so than any other VLF, It's not cluttered with bells and whistles that you don't need,

INTERESTING! Tell me more about this MXT!

At this point I'm sold on waiting for my Equinox 800. But straight off I'm liking what you're saying about MXT's gold capabilities with minor accessory upgrades. So are you telling I could have both a coin and gold machine all in one with minor accessory upgrades? In a quick search though, I'm not too happy with the lower tech mechanical dials and knobs and such. I do favor the 100% digital that Minelab offers. BUT... the MXT looks to be a better price point.

More of your thoughts would be appreciated. :D :) :| :p

Latest posts