Oallen Ford NSW Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close to the water i find the first foot is alright.

Away from the river go deep...

But yeah, all my gear has now been sitting around collecting dust and spider webs :( Sad sad NSW

Thanks for the advice on equipment - I didn't know about the current ban, but easy not to get it wrong if you don't have one. I do have a river sluice, but I use the pan to catch the fines when I classify and then just pass it through the sluice. Always great to get to the end of the day and see some gold. I will give it a crack to go to some of the deeper gravels and let you all know how it went. Looks like the rain in Victoria will stay to the west so probably no flood event to recharge the system.
Ah a gram in a day - I reckon after several trips I am not even half way there... I just want to find a bit I can pick up with my fingers (even if only just!).

Hi all, I have been out and about a few more times (always within children walking distance of main roads) and tried Stewart's Crossing as well (found an 'almost' picker near the edge of someone's workings about 50cm below the surface, just got it between the finger tips! woo hoo). Will head back this weekend coming in the hope that the half meter rise in the river has flushed a few more specks into the edge of the river. From my very limited experience these rain events will put a few more streaks of fines onto the banks, and provide more spots to set up the river sluice. I'll take a few photos this time (and try a few new spots) and will post (even if it is crap).
(where is the fingers crossed emoji?)

Also - left a shovel and very old mattock/pick out there about 6 weeks ago, naturally it was gone when I returned 2 weeks later (just up river from the Oallen Ford bridge). If anyone found it and is nearby ..... then I hope they find you more gold than they found me! Keep 'em! :)

Might see you out there one weekend mate
I try to get out most weekends however the last few i have been going further a field
I have left a few things behind and were gone when i got back (1 hour) but thats life smile kick myself in the ass and move on
Oh and welcome aboard

River was too high to get into the holes I wanted to try, didn't check the nut on my yabby pump and third test in a boil hole saw flanges go rushing down the river! Damn it! Novice error not checking the tightness of the nut. Oh well, it will probably still be there in the hole when the water goes down. Tried a few test digs where I thought the river had flowed, got some small results (not picture worthy). Lessons - 1. big flood events needed to move the sediment load. 2. Gold goes down and you need the right equipment to get to it if it is underwater. 3. Check your equipment!!!!!! 4. It was all still better than a great day at work. :)

GoldenRivett said:
River was too high to get into the holes I wanted to try, didn't check the nut on my yabby pump and third test in a boil hole saw flanges go rushing down the river! Damn it! Novice error not checking the tightness of the nut. Oh well, it will probably still be there in the hole when the water goes down. Tried a few test digs where I thought the river had flowed, got some small results (not picture worthy). Lessons - 1. big flood events needed to move the sediment load. 2. Gold goes down and you need the right equipment to get to it if it is underwater. 3. Check your equipment!!!!!! 4. It was all still better than a great day at work. :)

Egg-Zachary :Y: :)

Hi Everyone.
I'm a new forum member & I've only done some gold panning a couple of times many years ago but now decided to have another go at it. I have heard about Oallen Ford but never been there. Is it still legal to pan there without a permit?

I'm not after anyone's secrets, just some general information about legal access to the area.

Thanks.

Welcome Sherlock

You can pan all you want at Oallen

Dont need a permit just a microscope as it is a lot of flour gold there
You will get colour just about every pan

I have only been to Oallen once.....a few weeks back....and the advice I would give is to watch where you step.

Old mate clutz here, stepped on some of the large pebbly rocks and sprained my ankle.....having only done one small test pan.

Or it could just be me......can't walk anywhere without spraining something.....

No comment. ]:D ]:D

I cleaned the thread out so if your post has gone missing,
It was me OK. :)

LOL,
My take on selective deleting.

Done to try and recover the thread and keep it flowing.
That may include editing or deleting a perfectly good post.
In a case of a perfectly good post , I prefere to keep it with
respect to the owner.

As for the rest.
Called a rubbish bin where it belongs.

Happy with that. ?? O:) O:)
Now, What should I do with your post asking about that post. {) {)

OzzieAu said:
Now Sherlock, the OP, also a newbie is going to think whats going on here?
Its called selective deleting Sherlock :/

Oallen Forde is a great place to take the family for a days panning.
There is colour nearly every where.
Just pick a shady spot and have a pan.
It will test your skills and also help you hone your panning skills.
As for detecting, Yes, Nuggets have been found.
Even I have found one. :Y: :Y:

All good Tathra,
Its just that there is a mood of no confidence in a certain mod on here atm, as evidenced by the above deleted posts.
The effort put in by the now banned newbie just shows the depth of feeling around it...... not a healthy sign for the forum going forward.
Was not a good look for the OP of this post to have it hijacked for a ulterior motive I agree.
Just my thoughts.
Delete this also if you wish.... no probs. :beer:

Latest posts