You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

LuckyPhil
21 May 2015 10:24 am

Might head out to Durikai this weekend for a quick go, if the family lets me.

Fortunately/unfortunately off to work for a month on Monday, so could get together when I'm back.

Dan78
30 September 2017 05:02 pm

Hi guys,

Is there any gold finds straight off the highway or do you have to travel in a fair bit before can start detecting?

I dont have a 4x4 either so would be short drive on the gravel before having to park up...

Heading there next week with gpz7000.

Cheers,
Dan

Rush
30 September 2017 06:49 pm

I have a friend who detects out that way has told me plenty of nuggets have been detected and still are at Canal Creek in the GPA with a GPZ after raking the ground which is not far from the highway. Also he said the so called puddler area although flogged is still producing nuggets with the GPZ and this spot apparently is close to the highway. As they say no area is flogged until one has done it over themselves especially if using a GPZ.

1 user likes this post: Dan78

Dan78
30 September 2017 07:07 pm

Thanks Rush!! sounds like a got the right detector!! lol! just gotta get out there and have a crack!!

Dan78
30 September 2017 07:14 pm

I can't find canal creek on the map...is it in middle or top end of Durikai?

Rush
30 September 2017 08:59 pm

The western end of Durikai along Carbean Road.

From what I was told so far 600 nuggets or so mostly smaller in size had been detected with the GPZ after raking the ground in this particular GPA area.

Well worth a further detect with the GPZ and take a rake with you.

hAyyoUinAU
30 September 2017 10:40 pm

I do not think you are allowed to rake at all. I mean, raking the one spot you get a faint signal on is okay. But raking like what has been done at Carbean Rd is the reason why we will end up losing these areas.

I have not seen one area raked that has been put back to the way it was when they found it.

Dan78
01 October 2017 08:49 am

Found it, thanks Rush! I just have a pick and a scoop and the gpz lol...looking forward to just getting out there! tested the gpz on the beach...and got excited when I found an earring..so looking forward to potential of gold nuggets.

me and a mate are also gonna head to Drake next month...any tips/locations to check out there?

(I've got all fossick license for nsw and qld) nsw is cheap as!! haha

Thanks hayyouinAU...That sucks people f@#k it up for others!! this is my first trip so don't have too much gear...just pick, scoop and gpz..better get some more supplies!

hAyyoUinAU
01 October 2017 10:07 am

Pick, Scoop, GPS, Phone, Water and trusty ZED and you will not go wrong.

Note: Patience is the key (Visualise a nugget every time you swing in a goldfield and they will come eventually) Stay positive and stay GOLD.

Rush
01 October 2017 10:48 am

hAyyoUinAU wrote:

I do not think you are allowed to rake at all. I mean, raking the one spot you get a faint signal on is okay. But raking like what has been done at Carbean Rd is the reason why we will end up losing these areas.

I have not seen one area raked that has been put back to the way it was when they found it.

Yes and most likely one reason why I have heard on the grapevine that a new Ranger in on the prowl in Durikai.

hAyyoUinAU
01 October 2017 11:16 am

Rush wrote:
hAyyoUinAU wrote:

Yes and most likely one reason why I have heard on the grapevine that a new Ranger in on the prowl in Durikai.

Cool, he might see me picking up other peoples rubbish all the time or even filling in other peoples holes they leave behind. We don't cover the holes to cover out tracks, we cover them because we are suppose to leave the area exactly the same way we found it. (Minus the AU) That is the rule of fossicking.

I know of a couple I met there once that does it regularly. Tsk tsk. 1 rakes the other detects. Probably a smart thing to do if you have your own lease or property, but definitely a no no in the fossicking world.

Old timers left holes for many reasons, and it was their lively hood. Modern day detectorist leave holes and make a mess because they are lazy and don't care.

I say, get caught raking, get your licence cancelled. Simple.

hAyyoUinAU
01 October 2017 11:18 am

Believe it or not, we are also not supposed to exhaust the area of minerals, and are to leave enough behind for others. That's a funny one that one, especially with GOLD.
LOL

My theory on that one is that there is always gold left behind, it is just out of reach. lol

Dan78
01 October 2017 11:18 pm

yea..well from what I've read everywhere has been through many times over many years. and exhausted all areas..but still keep seeing people finding nuggets and l can imagine the plenty that aren't showing what they find..so i believe there's plenty for everyone still.

yea..no raking for me..too much crap to carry lol!

bet they've cleared out most of the bullets and bottle caps lol ..and hopefully i can find the deep stuff with the gpz! itchin to get out there! hope the rain clears by next week!

hAyyoUinAU
02 October 2017 09:38 am

Might see you out there next week. thumbsup

Dan78
02 October 2017 11:48 am

That would be cool! I'll be heading out on Thursday morning...hopefully get there about 7/8am thumbsup

1 user likes this post: hAyyoUinAU

Dan78
05 October 2017 09:52 pm

no luck today...fingers crossed for tomorrow!!

2 users like this post: hAyyoUinAU, OldGT

Dan78
07 October 2017 12:25 pm

Didn't want to cop the storm...

Found about 7 pieces of old bullets, shot, bullet shells, & old bandage clasp....gold will come soon!!!

see ya next week Durikai!! hopefully no storms lol

Dan78
09 October 2017 11:15 pm

so got out to durikai again today...pulled up to spot....forgot pick in my rush to get out early! total idiot!! lol...drove to warwick to bunnings for quick fix..back out...haha!!

went to the "flogged/raked area at rabbit fence and carbean rd....totally different to spot i first explored...and noticed the raking paths...and lots of them...but ended up finding about 9 pieces....of lead, couple old .22 shells, old fence and shot...still no gold..but will be back to score a damn nugget or several!! lol

hAyyoUinAU
10 October 2017 06:55 pm

Oh, and there is small gold in the creek at the first Durikai spot you went, off the Cunningham Hwy. The very first time I found gold was after spending 3 hours swinging my Makro Gold Racer with no luck at all, so before leaving, I quickly scraped out some crevices in the creek there, just after the memorial site for the prospector. I took home about 10 cups worth of material. I then spent the next couple of nights, in my free time, panning it down. Low and behold my excitement, after countless times panning and staring at flecks of pyrite wondering if they were gold, I finally realised what gold was like in a pan. My first ever ever gold!! I was excited and so were kids. I couldn't believe it, 3 small specks in the end.
I am glad I did that, because even though it wasn't much, it was my first hand experience at finding gold. And it just fed the desire even more.

PS. I had previously ordered some pay dirt from online to see what panning gold was like, because I had not found any yet at that stage. But the gold they gave me was basically shavings, and it doesn't pan the same at all. It was much better experiencing it naturally.

Dan78
11 October 2017 08:42 pm

just put deposit on an fj cruiser so will be not so worried about the unfortunate possible wildlife hit or trek'n off road next trip...

Nice tip but i don't have any pans..might get one and do a bucket at home like you said..but ...im gonna head as deep as possible in the tonka truck to try to get to bigger stuff haha!!

plus mate of mine knows area in Drake so heading south of the boarder and more rugged territory in near future.

but determined to find a nugget at durikai next visit!! hopefully next Thursday

hAyyoUinAU
11 October 2017 09:24 pm

Dan78 wrote:

just put deposit on an fj cruiser so will be not so worried about the unfortunate possible wildlife hit or trek'n off road next trip...

Nice tip but i don't have any pans..might get one and do a bucket at home like you said..but ...im gonna head as deep as possible in the tonka truck to try to get to bigger stuff haha!!

plus mate of mine knows area in Drake so heading south of the boarder and more rugged territory in near future.

but determined to find a nugget at durikai next visit!! hopefully next Thursday

Sounds great. The more areas the better your chances are.

Here's hoping your work and effort pays off for you. thumbsup

I done 5.5 Kms today and 100mtr climb prospecting and found nothing exciting. At least the exercise is rewarding. And it is the best office to work in. :-)
The days that you don't find gold make the days you do find gold that extra special.

Dan78
11 October 2017 10:35 pm

ahh man that sucks....in Durikai??.not even a target?? ....but thats just it! i saw so many cool little wallabies , birds, and some of the biggest ants ive ever seen haha...thankfully no snakes yet ..might buy some gumboots ...but just great to be out in the bush!! and exercise ...it doesn't even feel like exercise cause your loving it...except for the damn flies lol!!

hAyyoUinAU
11 October 2017 10:47 pm

Dan78 wrote:

ahh man that sucks....in Durikai??.not even a target?? ....but thats just it! i saw so many cool little wallabies , birds, and some of the biggest ants ive ever seen haha...thankfully no snakes yet ..might buy some gumboots ...but just great to be out in the bush!! and exercise ...it doesn't even feel like exercise cause your loving it...except for the damn flies lol!!

No no no.. Not Durikai... somewhere else near my mates property.... it was 2.5k hike just to get there. .. I saw my first snake of the season today though. All good, he went one way, I went the other. Good we agreed on that. :-)

Yeah I have been thinking of those gators from BCF..only $20 or something...

Oh, I always pack the aerogard in the backpack... just in case...

Dan78
12 October 2017 08:01 pm

hahaha yea good idea to go separate ways ...I was told to step on every fallen log..not step over it...just in case ones lying on other side

and yea got the aerogard lol

wonder how much gold that house with the spiders has pulled out of the ground...big sign saying no prospectors hahaaa

the prop is prime location...wonder if can buy a cheap bunch of land around that area...thats loaded with the shinny stuff haha...does your mates property have any gold found before?

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site