Non minelab detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
300 said:
Yes Pi detectors for gold,BUT history says VLFs have found a lot off the biggest nuggets Australia wide.

VLF's and the SDC can see all types of Nuggets where some PI's suffer, You can still use a VLF around mullock heaps and in high mineral areas but their performance drops in areas of hot to extreme ground, They will still work there but don't expect to be digging nuggets a foot deep or more because unless it is a large nugget then it will be hard to hear them above the ground noise, The biggest nugget ever found with a metal detector was found with a VLF at about a foot deep.

In lesser ground conditions a VLF can and will find nuggets over 18" to 2 foot deep and more on nuggets over an Ounce. I know of a couple that have been found at those depths, In areas where there in junk in the Gold fields a VLF might be your best choice, But under common conditions a PI is going to give you the best possible chance,

J.

But I am here now.
I just removed a heap of non related post's.
Just keep to what the OP asked please.

Having used a Nokta Impact now for 40 hours in Victoria's GT I agree with Phase Tech that it is very stable in very highly mineralised soil.When the soil becomes extreme the COG mode will always GB whereas Minelab PI,s may be out of their limits.
The GEN or all metal mode at 20 Khz is very sensitive and precise at pinpointing for small gold of 1.0 gram down to 0.1 gram in medium soils.I haven't done a test on larger gold say 1 oz. at 14 Khz compared to 20 Khz as to which will go deeper.
The Impact has raw power in the DEEP mode and testing both at 20 Khz the DEEP mode went twice as deep as the GEN mode. DEEP mode can be set up to look for nuggets by adjusting various settings. The DEEP mode was also unfazed in high mineralisation level and gave GEN mode a real hiding every time. Signals were mostly accompanied with VID numbers unlike in GEN mode.Unfortunately my pick could not dig much deeper than 8 inches and I could not dig up the deep targets in the very hard ground.
It will take Australians probably 30 years to fully accept a Turkish brand over Minelab or Whites,much like happened to Japanese cars here in the 1960,s but in Europe which is a much bigger market there is no such trepidation.

nope it will take a blink of an eye to accept a Turkish brand over Minelab if it can better the Minelab.
Loyalty is not to the brand, it's to what works the best.

Hi MeatyJoe, I was in a similar position as you a few years back and had been through the 'find a good Minelab alternative' for the goldfields but after throwing lots of $ and lots of trips out I've conceded that Minelab makes the best detector for our aussie mineralised goldfields, just go through the 'Gold Detecting Show n Tell' thread and your questions will be answered. I wish I used that logic a few years back but there's no time like the present to get back on track.

oldtimerROB said:
Having used a Nokta Impact now for 40 hours in Victoria's GT I agree with Phase Tech that it is very stable in very highly mineralised soil.When the soil becomes extreme the COG mode will always GB whereas Minelab PI,s may be out of their limits.
The GEN or all metal mode at 20 Khz is very sensitive and precise at pinpointing for small gold of 1.0 gram down to 0.1 gram in medium soils.I haven't done a test on larger gold say 1 oz. at 14 Khz compared to 20 Khz as to which will go deeper.
The Impact has raw power in the DEEP mode and testing both at 20 Khz the DEEP mode went twice as deep as the GEN mode. DEEP mode can be set up to look for nuggets by adjusting various settings. The DEEP mode was also unfazed in high mineralisation level and gave GEN mode a real hiding every time. Signals were mostly accompanied with VID numbers unlike in GEN mode.Unfortunately my pick could not dig much deeper than 8 inches and I could not dig up the deep targets in the very hard ground.
It will take Australians probably 30 years to fully accept a Turkish brand over Minelab or Whites,much like happened to Japanese cars here in the 1960,s but in Europe which is a much bigger market there is no such trepidation.

I agree it will take about 30 years, The fact is Gold does not lift up her skirt for anyone and regardless of what machine a person uses, it is harder to find than what it was years ago, VLF's have found their fair share of Gold, And finding Gold is more about the location and the skill of the person with the detector, jumping from one machine to the other and blaming the machine is no excuse, because a person who does that will never find Gold no matter what machine they buy or how much they throw in to the hobby.

When I took the time to do my research things changed and put the time in on the ground that's when I started to find Gold with a VLF, but putting in the hours is the only way to find Gold regardless of the type of machine you own, It won't find Gold sitting at home. And people were finding good Gold long before the SD/GP/GPX series machines came out and they still are, The Impact works in the Gold fields that has already been proven as do many other prospecting type VLF's.

There are people out there still using older machines that still find Gold and there are folks still using older ML PI machines too that still find Gold too, This hobby is not based on how much you spend and is more about the skill and knowledge of the person using the detector, But Time and dedication on the ground is only second to the Skills of the person nothing else really matters.

Good luck with your Impact and don't forget to post pictures of your finds.

J.

Ridge Runner said:
oldtimerROB said:

I agree it will take about 30 years, The fact is Gold does not lift up her skirt for anyone and regardless of what machine a person uses, it is harder to find than what it was years ago, VLF's have found their fair share of Gold, And finding Gold is more about the location and the skill of the person with the detector, jumping from one machine to the other and blaming the machine is no excuse, because a person who does that will never find Gold no matter what machine they buy or how much they throw in to the hobby.

When I took the time to do my research things changed and put the time in on the ground that's when I started to find Gold with a VLF, but putting in the hours is the only way to find Gold regardless of the type of machine you own, It won't find Gold sitting at home. And people were finding good Gold long before the SD/GP/GPX series machines came out and they still are, The Impact works in the Gold fields that has already been proven as do many other prospecting type VLF's.

There are people out there still using older machines that still find Gold and there are folks still using older ML PI machines too that still find Gold too, This hobby is not based on how much you spend and is more about the skill and knowledge of the person using the detector, But Time and dedication on the ground is only second to the Skills of the person nothing else really matters.

Good luck with your Impact and don't forget to post pictures of your finds.

J.
and part of that skill and knowledge is knowing when to jump on and learn new technology that will improve your daily take no matter how well you've mastered your old detector.

madtuna said:
and part of that skill and knowledge is knowing when to jump on and learn new technology that will improve your daily take no matter how well you've mastered your old detector.

Yes that is why oldtimerROB is using the newly released Nokta Impact,

No doubt there are some interesting times ahead with all the new VLFs that "ALL" companies are bring out, soon we will be spoilt for choice.

But age and technology does not limit a detectors ability to find Gold, The GPX 4500 is a fine example of that and a long list of others

J.

Ridge Runner said:
madtuna said:

Yes that is why oldtimerROB is using the newly released Nokta Impact,

No doubt there are some interesting times ahead with all the new VLFs that "ALL" companies are bring out, soon we will be spoilt for choice.

But age and technology does not limit a detectors ability to find Gold, The GPX 4500 is a fine example of that and a long list of others

J.
Ground limits a detectors ability to find gold. Technological advances can help overcome some of that.

The right tool for the job. Yep my old Extreme and XT17000 would still find gold, but my 5000, 7000 and 2300 will find more in different ground types that the Extreme or XT wouldn't touch or would struggle with

madtuna said:
Ground limits a detectors ability to find gold. Technological advances can help overcome some of that.

The right tool for the job. Yep my old Extreme and XT17000 would still find gold, but my 5000, 7000 and 2300 will find more in different ground types that the Extreme or XT wouldn't touch or would struggle with

Yes and PI's do not like wet ground and VLF's Do, and the 7000 does not like salt based ground and some VLF's Do and the 7000 will ID Tree Roots as Nuggets, and VLF's won't. VLF's hate Extreme ground,

So regardless of the technology being used none of them are perfect no matter if it is a PI, a VLF, or a Hybrid, So owning just one type of detector is not a wise move, Ideally one of each would be the perfect set up starting with an LF, VLF, SDC, GPX/PI and the Zed, I would willingly buy all 5 if it would boost the finds rate,

Can I ask what experience you've had finding gold in Australia and with what machines?

madtuna said:
Can I ask what experience you've had finding gold in Australia and with what machines?

I have used/owned dozens of machines and I have used VLF's and PI's in Australia. Mainly ML machines in AUS,

Ridge Runner said:
madtuna said:

I have used/owned dozens of machines and I have used VLF's and PI's in Australia. Mainly ML machines in AUS,

Thanks, but with respect that was a Claytons answer.

Why I ask is I see some pretty bold statements and some rather odd and some plainly false advise given lately that new members are possibly basing their purchases on.
I see people spruiking a machine they have absolutely nil experience with and likewise advising against a machine they also have nil experience with.

Then there's a poster basically claiming the machine he owns is the best all round machine for Aust gold fields but has never found a speck of gold.

I feel sorry for new members thinking of getting into prospecting for the first time. Forums can be such a mine field leaving you more confused or worse still, spending good dollars on a completely wrong purchase.

madtuna said:
Ridge Runner said:
madtuna said:

Thanks, but with respect that was a Claytons answer.

Why I ask is I see some pretty bold statements and some rather odd and some plainly false advise given lately that new members are possibly basing their purchases on.
I see people spruiking a machine they have absolutely nil experience with and likewise advising against a machine they also have nil experience with.

Then there's a poster basically claiming the machine he owns is the best all round machine for Aust gold fields but has never found a speck of gold.

I feel sorry for new members thinking of getting into prospecting for the first time. Forums can be such a mine field leaving you more confused or worse still, spending good dollars on a completely wrong purchase.

Well no one has bought a machine on my say so, when someone states they do not want to spend more than 800 to 1500 bucks puts a limit on the type/model that a person can suggest, and they won't find a SDC or a GPX for that price even second hand, We could always tell them to go away and come back when they have more money, But I don't think that would be a wise move.

at a rough guess the SDC and the GPX would have to be the best gold machines for the Aussie gold fields, Most modern machines will work there but there performance will not be as good as the two above.

And it is not a claytons answer, Yes I found gold with a VLF in Aus and I found a couple of bits with my PI,

Latest posts