Using a dredge in Australia for recreational prospecting is illegal - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rastys 1964 said:
I wonder where this sit in relation to Australian laws? No outside power source, no mechanical means of processing or moving gravel. What a very interesting concept. Might just need to call it a Round Gravity sluice!!!!

Richard

I had posted about this type of dredging before and the knowledgeable folk on the forum say its illegal.
You are still moving material and doing the same damage as a powered dredge.
Still a clever idea.

calala said:
I believe its called hydraulic sluicing and illegal. sorry. 8.(
not sure where you get hydraulic sluicing from mate, that's a completely different beast all together, this is simply dredging regardless of how it works its a dredge.

Hydraulic sluicing evolves blasting alluvium away from the hills and channeling it into sluices, many men were killed using this method because they had to rake the rocks through the sluice and from time to time a bank would collapse and kill5-10 men.
1382927012_river-sluicing.jpg

1382926962_hydraulic_sluicing.jpg

gcause said:
He was really taking a risk, even with the jack, undermining rocks like that it could easily have crushed him. :eek:
do you think that's why he didn't get to bedrock? maybe thought better of it.

Hi All

[img=portable electric suction dredge ]https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1571/1385890718_dre.png[/img]are these illegal? in NSW

Thanks
Sparrow

If it looks like a dredge sucks like a dredge then its is outlawed like a dredge. I spoke to an old timer today he reckons people are mad not dredging he has been at it for years with a 4 inch. But I just know I would get one and be the first prosecuted. I think I read that the 2 inch are rubbish anyway and you can move more highbanking. Sure is an interesting dilemma, So many against and so many for. I just would hate to be looking over my shoulder instead of enjoying the bush.

I thought dredging was illegal

But why are the advertising them in the Australian GOLD GEM AND TREASURE Magazine for the last 12 months colour ad ?

yes its a dredge dredges are illegal period its a shame though imagine the gold just sitting there on bedrock

sparrow said:
I thought dredging was illegal

But why are the advertising them in the Australian GOLD GEM AND TREASURE Magazine for the last 12 months colour ad ?

I have seen various dredges and equiptment advertised also and wondered about it myself.

There must be legal uses and circumstamces that they can be used for.

Someone with better knowledge will hopefully enlighten us :)

I believe you can use them on leases. if you can be bothered to use them..

Some one with a lease will correct me i am sure

Cheers, Tone

TenOunce Tone said:
I believe you can use them on leases. if you can be bothered to use them..

Some one with a lease will correct me i am sure

Cheers, Tone
Yeah I have heard the same, its legal in some place in QLD on a lease.

ok thanks for the information every one. think I will stick to high banking and detecting

the same guy that sells those on ebay has at least two ebay stores under different names

i am not going to accuse him of decoy advertising , and I wont suggest that both ebay stores have purchased from each other to create positive feedback

but some of his feedback is ugly.

its possible that anyone who buys such an illegal device off him would come under scrutiny from a govt official .

i choose not to participate . my peace of mind is priceless

No problem buying/selling or building dredges - same as you can buy/sell or make bongs with no probs.

You're just not allowed to use them for their intended purpose.

Latest posts