You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

anton
18 June 2017 12:11 pm

hi guys, had my deus a few days now,and come across something im not used to and that is detector overload, or in the deus's case lack.. i mean, on every detector i have owned or used , you know when you touch metal with the coil, you get blasted with an overload tone and/or get the overload message on the screen and detector stops id'ïng..however my deus does not (and yes ive played with the audio overload setting) it keeps id ing, no onscreen warning, no screen indication of overload, i put the coil on top of my ss sc oop,and most detectors would blow you off your feet with the overload warning,not the deus sad..im on version 4..is this normal?? cheers guys:)

One day, my ship will come in. And with my luck, I'll be waiting at the airport!.....Arrrgh!!!..I scratched the control box of my AT Pro! Bloody thing was yellow underneath!!

clegy
18 June 2017 06:03 pm

There is no Overload as such, you just get a proper audio blast and the horseshoe will fill up to indicate a very strong signal.

My 705 used to have OL come on screen but it is not the same with deus.

The deus will try and ID the massive target to a point.

Is it a new machine or an second hand one?

Clegy

https://detectorist.com.au XP Deus, Tyger Stainless Digging tools, C-Scope Detectors, Pin Pointers and More.
Mi-6 PinPointer on Sale $229 FREE POSTAGE.

2 users like this post: Ramjet, silver

Goldpick
18 June 2017 08:43 pm

I think you can put the difference down to the Deus overload being a tone vs many other detectors which offer an actual "alarm" when too close to large metal objects. Whether that is a good or bad thing will be completely up to the individual, though I have no real issue deciphering whether a large target is close to the surface via the intensity of the tones, pinpointing, target sizing etc.

The downside of having an overload alarm on many detectors, is when you have a disproportional gain or sensitivity control. Basically the sensitivity is boosted at higher levels causing the overload to come into play over not so large objects close to the surface, and even overloading on highly mineralised ground if running a too higher gain. My Racer 2 will overload on smaller items lIke nails if close enough to the surface, so you do not alway get the desired result from this feature, and also have little control over when it cuts it other than use of the sensitivity control - same for the Fisher F75.

The sensitivity/gain on the Deus is much more linear, forgiving, and easier to set than the above mentioned detectors. It also offers more flexible settings like audio response, frequency and lower reactivity to achieve better response from deeper targets vs using raw gain/sensitivity alone to achieve a similar result.

I do believe the original red racer in particular had issues overloading on mineralised ground, though the threshold for the overload was increased on the Racer 2 to stop it from cutting in too soon.

So the bottom line is that I would prefer to have the more flexible settings as on the Deus, rather than having a factory set overload with little or no control over when it cuts in, and on what sized objects it would trigger on.

I hope that makes some sense. big_smile

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, Minelab Go-Find 60, XP MI-6, Minelab Profind, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

anton
18 June 2017 11:12 pm

clegy wrote:

There is no Overload as such, you just get a proper audio blast and the horseshoe will fill up to indicate a very strong signal.

My 705 used to have OL come on screen but it is not the same with deus.

The deus will try and ID the massive target to a point.

Is it a new machine or an second hand one?

Clegy

Cheers smile..it was just a deus newbie freaking out over a '' feature'' he's not used too,lol smile...

Deus i got is secondhand, i traded a couple of machines with a mate in England..it looks hardly used,box looks new..he is going to send me the reciept for the remote, i think its a yr old if that..he said, he would look after me if i had any problems, but i was going to give you a call and see what my warranty oiptions are smile.. i also bought a new pair of ws 4's and a 9 inch coil of gumtree,bloke said they never been used, but i didnt get any paperwork off him(only bought them,coz it was a good deal, and thought they be good spares for my unit (wish it was an 11 inch coil,tho,as mine is already the 9 inch setup,lol))...

Last edited by anton (18 June 2017 11:14 pm)

One day, my ship will come in. And with my luck, I'll be waiting at the airport!.....Arrrgh!!!..I scratched the control box of my AT Pro! Bloody thing was yellow underneath!!

anton
18 June 2017 11:19 pm

Goldpick wrote:

I think you can put the difference down to the Deus overload being a tone vs many other detectors which offer an actual "alarm" when too close to large metal objects. Whether that is a good or bad thing will be completely up to the individual, though I have no real issue deciphering whether a large target is close to the surface via the intensity of the tones, pinpointing, target sizing etc.

The downside of having an overload alarm on many detectors, is when you have a disproportional gain or sensitivity control. Basically the sensitivity is boosted at higher levels causing the overload to come into play over not so large objects close to the surface, and even overloading on highly mineralised ground if running a too higher gain. My Racer 2 will overload on smaller items lIke nails if close enough to the surface, so you do not alway get the desired result from this feature, and also have little control over when it cuts it other than use of the sensitivity control - same for the Fisher F75.

The sensitivity/gain on the Deus is much more linear, forgiving, and easier to set than the above mentioned detectors. It also offers more flexible settings like audio response, frequency and lower reactivity to achieve better response from deeper targets vs using raw gain/sensitivity alone to achieve a similar result.

I do believe the original red racer in particular had issues overloading on mineralised ground, though the threshold for the overload was increased on the Racer 2 to stop it from cutting in too soon.

So the bottom line is that I would prefer to have the more flexible settings as on the Deus, rather than having a factory set overload with little or no control over when it cuts in, and on what sized objects it would trigger on.

I hope that makes some sense. big_smile

you dead right, as usual chris smile, i just got to spend a little more time with her..which could become hard,as i just got my hands on my first ctx yesterday, now i got 2 machines that require a little extra effort(not so much the ctx,as the etrac has given me a heads up with it)..

1 user likes this post: Goldpick

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site