You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Stru
15 June 2017 06:40 pm

Hi guys,
My father in law is keen to get into detecting. He lives in SA but has a trip up to longreach planned with plenty of stops on the way. I suggested a vlf with target id so he can go for coins and relics on beaches and in parks....he doesn't want one that 'won't' get gold as well though!!! We talked about vlfs in our hot ground, the high freq v lower freq and the fact that he won't visit many 'gold fields' often.

Today i started thinking about his hearing aids and very poor hearing. I was looking at a second hand gold racer on this sight but then from clips i see it is a real 'zipzip' noise that he might not pick up. My mates deus is all i know (and love) re vlfs and i think it would do the job with a good speaker & so many tone options....are there louder target signal vlfs that can still be used for coins - and are maybe cheaper? I think he won't be keen to wear headphones....
His hearing aids are the old school type with the battery behind the ear-don't suppose they could affect the detector?

lastly could the gm1000 be an option for coins etc as i hear the target response is loud....

thanks for listening:)

GPZ 7000. SDC2300. DEUS. Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore

1 user likes this post: goldengoose

B5MECH
15 June 2017 06:47 pm

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … p?id=21503
Top option ... The AT MAX yikes cool ...I know nothing about hearing aids Stru roll but recon it would suit your old man...wireless 5 tone yikes thumbsup
May have to wait a little hmm
It's even sweet for rock climbing tongue

Last edited by B5MECH (15 June 2017 06:48 pm)

A Crystal Ball....a Magic Wand....a Weegie Board....two Dowsing Rods
..............................And lots of Bee's.................................

1 user likes this post: Stru

nesral
15 June 2017 07:11 pm

Makro red Racer and Racer 2 both have vibration modes so have the Nokta FORS Gold and the FORS Core. . . .all are capable of detecting native Gold. thumbsup

3 users like this post: Stru, grubstake, goldengoose

xcvator
15 June 2017 08:12 pm

It may be better if he had a look at upgrading his hearing aids, he may or may not be able to get medibank/pensioner/seniors/extras rebates that would make them cheap/free then look at which detector to get.
Got to think out side the square a bit smile

Spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can
Trying to use an XP DEUS

Swinging & digging
15 June 2017 09:39 pm

Stru wrote:

Hi guys,
My father in law is keen to get into detecting. He lives in SA but has a trip up to longreach planned with plenty of stops on the way. I suggested a vlf with target id so he can go for coins and relics on beaches and in parks....he doesn't want one that 'won't' get gold as well though!!! We talked about vlfs in our hot ground, the high freq v lower freq and the fact that he won't visit many 'gold fields' often.

Today i started thinking about his hearing aids and very poor hearing. I was looking at a second hand gold racer on this sight but then from clips i see it is a real 'zipzip' noise that he might not pick up. My mates deus is all i know (and love) re vlfs and i think it would do the job with a good speaker & so many tone options....are there louder target signal vlfs that can still be used for coins - and are maybe cheaper? I think he won't be keen to wear headphones....
His hearing aids are the old school type with the battery behind the ear-don't suppose they could affect the detector?

lastly could the gm1000 be an option for coins etc as i hear the target response is loud....

thanks for listening:)

Having a hearing disability is a significant disadvantage for detecting, especially if you want to hear the potential good targets, deep coins, nuggets etc.
You could try boosting up the audio response, but be warned loud noise can increase hearing loss. especially when headphones are used.

Stru
15 June 2017 10:50 pm

tks s&d valid points you raise. My mate has bad tinnitus and it gets more severe after a day of 'threshold' noise on the gpx.

GPZ 7000. SDC2300. DEUS. Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore

Tathradj
15 June 2017 11:14 pm

What about a set of phones with inductive couplers in them. ?
Better have a look around.

NAPFA Committee Member,
A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, Phantom 4 Pro, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck
of a lot of determination.Not to mention Luck.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends.

Bobh
18 June 2017 12:43 pm

I'm hearing impaired in both ears with 60% loss at certain frequencies. Have you father-in-law see his audiologist and get printout on what frequencies he hears best. I already had a secondhand GPX 4500 with headphones. I contacted Minelab, they responded quickly, their response is below and I find that helps a lot.

Yes you can adjust the tone on your GPX from the menu.

1. In the main menus use the “function select” knob to navigate your way through the menu until you reach a setting called “Audio tone” this is set to 50 as a factory preset.
2. Then using the “setting” knob adjust the setting anti-clockwise until you reach a desired tone that you can hear.
3. Move the “function select” knob clockwise to return back to the main menu.

I hope this helps,

Rules only restrict honest people: Currently learning GPX4500

1 user likes this post: goldengoose

Stru
18 June 2017 01:50 pm

thanks bobh, that might just work a treat for my mate:)

nesral
18 June 2017 03:44 pm

My Relic And Treasure (R.A.T) head phones have Variable Tone frequency (VTF) adjustment built in. .. . . Works a treat. . . . . Made by Detect-USA

Or perhaps a pair of bone conductors
https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing … eadphones/

Heatho
18 June 2017 05:26 pm

Tuning the frequency or frequancies as minelab suggested should work quite well. Even the SDC has 2 frequency band outputs, I think they are 700hz as preset and 400hz selectable.

Regarding treasure detectors the CTX is very flexible with widely selectable output frequencies as is the Deus, the benefit too is they both have a visual numerical ID function as well.

The Makro Racer goes one better by offering a vibration function for the hearing impaired.

http://www.makrodetector.com/racer-metal-detector.html

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Pro-Find-25, patience, lot's of patience.

1 user likes this post: Goldpick

Stru
18 June 2017 06:04 pm

Hi heatho, tks for the info. I am liking the racer and there is still one for sale in the 'for sale' section, i just haven't heard back from the seller in a week now...

1 user likes this post: Heatho

Goldpick
18 June 2017 09:01 pm

Heatho wrote:

Tuning the frequency or frequancies as minelab suggested should work quite well. Even the SDC has 2 frequency band outputs, I think they are 700hz as preset and 400hz selectable.

Regarding treasure detectors the CTX is very flexible with widely selectable output frequencies as is the Deus, the benefit too is they both have a visual numerical ID function as well.

The Makro Racer goes one better by offering a vibration function for the hearing impaired.

http://www.makrodetector.com/racer-metal-detector.html

I remember that you tube clip where the guy had set all his desirable targets as low tones vs the usual high tones for high conductors - made it a lot easier to isolate out non-ferrous targets in iron laden areas, espcially effective if you no longer have effective hearing in the upper frequency range. As you mentioned, the CTX and Deus are similar in the way they can allocate tones for specific range of targets, and also be able to fully adjust the tone frequency. Pretty sure XP also expanded the tone frequency range even further on new V4.0 software as well.

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, Minelab Go-Find 60, XP MI-6, Minelab Profind, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

2 users like this post: goldengoose, Heatho

goldengoose
18 June 2017 09:30 pm

Hi Stru,

I have used a Garrett Land n Sea with a hearing impaired person. He found it better to have the headphones around his neck line as opposed to have them directly on his ears. The hearing aids picked up the sound and amplified this as designed to do. smile Hearing aids themselves are receivers and not transmitters so should not effect the detector.
His hearing is Moderate to severe mostly mid range loss. "f" ,"sh" etc

Great to see the helpfull responses from all and will be watching this post. Please keep us posted with results, manufactures etc

Cheers GG

I DIG n SWING , THEREFORE I AM ! ...

Stru
21 June 2017 09:35 am

setting my father in law with a makro gold racer so we'll see how the hearing performs....he is genetically and industrial hearing impaired so suffers at nearly all frequencies...
interestingly another friend who has used a 4500 for over a decade and has always used hearing aids with headphones only had drama with one particular model. first two generation hearing aids were fine, the set he got 18mnths ago gave very severe reverb in the head phones set....so he switched to an older set no worries for detecting at that time - the latest generation, his 4th pair over 12 odd years, have again been fine! tks for everyone's input on this topic....sounds like a fair few of us are hearing impaired!!!

2 users like this post: Heatho, Chewy

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site