Small Miller table DIY

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowflow

Barry
Reaction score
Still being refined but what I have noticed is that it requires FINES to work well. In use I run the material through a sieve then across the table but can see extremely fine gold going off the table.
There is a catch pan in the reservoir and at the end is a fry pan splatter stopper which removes the coarse sand. When it has all gone through a second run is required with the fines from the catch pan, this is done with lower water flow.
this gold was too fine for my diy blue bowl.
As you can see it is ply painted with blackboard paint. fish tank powerhead for water flow.
1381531764_imag0164.jpg

1381531794_imag0165.jpg

1381531819_imag0166.jpg

1381531839_imag0167.jpg

Hey Slowflow
Looks good, the principal behind these tables is that it needs a laminar flow of water, which plain terms means as flat as you can get the sheet of water across the table, your flow is not quite right.
You need a gate at the top of the table with a set gap under it for the water to flow under the gate, the water feed is done upstream of the gate which flattens the water flow.
There looks to be to much material on the table at once, I think??????
cheers
Lee

I can see that there is different size sands/stones.
The main trick it to classify it down so its all the same size.
Other than the gate rc63burke mentioned it looks good.

Hope that helps.
Cheers XIV.

Thanks guys, I have improved the flow but is is still not laminar, classified some and am picking up some very fine stuff on the rerun.
Just one complaint about what you both missed. My son's dog came around, saw the running water and took a drink and lapped up the fines I had swept into a pile. You should have told me to get it off the ground. :lol:
Now I have to check all the barkers eggs for gold!!

Appreciate the help, thanks.

slowflow said:
Thanks guys, I have improved the flow but is is still not laminar, classified some and am picking up some very fine stuff on the rerun.
Just one complaint about what you both missed. My son's dog came around, saw the running water and took a drink and lapped up the fines I had swept into a pile. You should have told me to get it off the ground. :lol:

yeah a mates dog did that with a gold pan

strange as it may seem nobody volunteered to follow the dog around and wait for them to reappear though

slowflow said:

Hey Slowflow
Well mate some things are best learnt from experience LOL
What did you use as the bed for your table? is that blue paint, chalk board paint?

cheers
Lee

It is chalk board paint, ply base. Slate is apparently the best but there must be good substitutes out there. Slate billiard table makers maybe worth a go.

Latest posts