DIY Dolly Pot

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I thought I'd have a go at making a dolly pot & share what I did.

There's no real rule or specs that you need to follow. First you need to figure out what size rock you want to crush, how big/heavy a unit you want to cart around...

Here is the specs to mine. I made all exposed edges to Fisher-Price standards so I won't cut myself or rip my backpack whilst carting it around.

I've made this one light enough to cart around & just for sampling but still process a good amount.

The main pot/pipe is 250mm long & the internal diameter is about 52mm.
The base plate is 10mm thick, about 70mm wide & 150mm long? You want the base plate to be thick enough to withstand a good pounding.
The smashing rod is an old truck axle 35mm shaft/40mm spline end & 450mm long. Heavy enough to make light work of crushing, but portable enough to cart thru the scrub.

I made the base plate a bit bigger than the pipe so I can put my feet either side to steady it. Can easily use it whilst sitting on a chair/stump & the dolly pot on the ground.

Instructions: Weld pipe to plate. :rolleyes:

Done.

1381043011_image.jpg

1381043359_image.jpg

To get the rock to this stage I smashed it a few times so make it smaller & then put it thru a sieve. Anything that didn't go thru, got crushed again in small batches.

1381043475_image.jpg

Ag - great post mate. Pics are good

PS - I remember saying that to apprentices many, many times 'Instructions: Weld pipe to plate."

I did - surprised me how well it works. I only got 3 specks tho...

Once I crushed that piece, I just kept finding other interesting bits of quartz, conglomerate & what ever I could crush.

I should have kept the crushing separate - now I don't know which had the gold in it :/

All good, I can just sample away any time I come across anything now

Dolly pots have been around for many moons.
I just made one & posted up what I did.
Like the bucket sieve - I didn't invent them ;)

I made mine out of wood so its light and will float if dropped in the river, its great at crushing garlic. I always think I should be putting all quartz aside for crushing as another prospector here found a great piece here with gold hanging out both ends.

Does the gold etc. get stuck in the space left on the inside under the tube or did you weld and grind that inside edge too, as anything there will corrupt further sampling and always leave you wondering.
Especially if its only traces your onto in the pursuit of bigger things.
Has anyone got the answers to this little dilemma that we could all face at one time or another as we sample our way across the Isle?

I can see what your point is Silver & did try to minimise gaps.
Made sure the cut was straight & square, de-burred & clamped in vice whilst being welded.
Thinking I've eliminated any gaps for gold to get stuck. The possibility is there but the parts would be so minute...

I'm not after flour gold unless in vast quantities so contaminating a sample shouldn't be too big of an issue

Great job Agman,
Another job by Bob completed.
possibly drill a hole in corner of plate to slip a Carabina through to hang on outside of back pack more room for other inventions.
TheSmithy

silver said:
Does the gold etc. get stuck in the space left on the inside under the tube or did you weld and grind that inside edge too, as anything there will corrupt further sampling and always leave you wondering.
Especially if its only traces your onto in the pursuit of bigger things.
Has anyone got the answers to this little dilemma that we could all face at one time or another as we sample our way across the Isle?

I use a holesaw in a bench press without the pilot, to cut a round circle a couple of mm deep into the base, slightly finish the tube on the end, this allows the pipe nest into the plate and also eliminates any creeping of the tube during welding, eliminating any gaps or holes.

For hard applications I also use a plunger that has spikes, made from hard facing the end of the plunger, for the more resistant samples, one pot, two plungers.

But I will say very nice job indeed, very neat, and god, love that weld, 240v, or 415 mig?

HeadsUp said:
i think he used a stick electrode

stainless steel , probably 304 or 309L

I'm not sure bit pitted for stainless, and base looks mild, could be wrong, looks good anyway.

Village said:
HeadsUp said:
i think he used a stick electrode

stainless steel , probably 304 or 309L

I'm not sure bit pitted for stainless, and base looks mild, could be wrong, looks good anyway.

well i could be wrong , i do have welders eyesight and i cant zoom in close enough to be sure

309 L is whats used to weld dissimilar grades of stainless to carbon steel though

AgMan will clear it up as soon as he finishes cleaning up those cons

Latest posts