Whipstick Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Hey there well the detector will not be in possession much longer and i hear the whipstick is pretty good value for time. My question is which roads are best for accessing it? And anyone point me in the right "area" where good detection grounds are found. Any help appreciated.

Hey there GT was just there last week found the first bit in Beelzebub gully down riffle range road. Neilborough rd is a main road through there and just up from where miller flat road comes off it there USA dozer graded area that's where I got another bit.
Good luck mate.
Cheers
Skip

Thanks for the reply Skip that's just what I was after. Ended up driving around and searching out a few likely spots, its seems some terrain has had every man and his dog detecting, the scrape backs nearly out numbered the shrubs! Although I picked up on some lead shot and shells no luck for today. Had a mosey looking for a good panning spot in bendigo creek....but the heat got the better of me. I'm running avlf small coil, figuring the pi brigade will be deep seeking. I was severely disheartened by the sheer amount of rubbish (not trash) being dumped. Asbestos, lead batteries, TVs, couches, general refuse, shocking. But I'll send the batteries in to the local recycle, get a few bucks for the day out, along with some copper tubing from an earlier dig around Huntly. That gripe aside I love bendigo being my new backyard, having a ball out here.

GT the john tully maps for the area a well worth it if you are going to be in the area a lot it will give you a lot of info on where to look just don't think that it's a x marks the spot type of deal.
Cheers
Skip

You are spot on.good time for a bit of research and geo plotting with all this heat....took a bit of time out today following up on some positive test panning in a nearby area, all the signs are there just need some hills time. As luck would have it the terrain is not dissimilar to what I'm used to here in Bendigo from where i usually am. I'll do some digging gridding and loaming type work in a virgin area, while I'm still excited. I see that unity mining has some detailed work specific to this region I'm keen to overlay, and I'm hounding a good friend of mine to come along with his pi Minelab. In all my time out bush I've never seen the surfacing i picked up on today, and like all endeavours in this game there really aren't any assurances but I'm wildly optimistic.i don't pretend for a single moment that the old fellas weren't aware or missed what i was into today but there's no long shafting or moloch heaps as the land has been cleared . A lack of indicators is a little bit of an issue but i when its surfacing so distinctly i can't see a reason not to be excited.

Looking at heading out to Whipstick and hire a detector anyone willing to recommend an area to try? Much appreciated

Hi all, I'm another new chum to the science of detecting. I've had a couple of trips to the Whipstick, have the John Tully book and have found plenty of old diggings and worked gullies. If any one can please help with some advice, the info that I after is where to start looking in this environment in general laymans terms (It's a bloody area once you get out there). Is it around the old diggings, along the gullies, adjacent to the gullies, further up the gullies or along the ridges? Or is it just a matter of getting out there and taking pot luck anywhere in the landscape near the worked areas.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Allways looking much appreciated. I'll check out minelab gold's post. No doubt every newcomer ask similar questions and are Champing at the bit.
Had an interesting start this morning, beside a few rust bits found, I had bloody big bullant crawl across my face, almost stood on a brown snake and saw a couple of echidnas. So no gold but quite an adventure. I will reflect on what I learnt each time I go out.
Thanks again mate.

Welcome to the detectors World !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
You may not find gold all the time but there is never a dull trip :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bullwinkle said:
Hi all, I'm another new chum to the science of detecting. I've had a couple of trips to the Whipstick, have the John Tully book and have found plenty of old diggings and worked gullies. If any one can please help with some advice, the info that I after is where to start looking in this environment in general laymans terms (It's a bloody area once you get out there). Is it around the old diggings, along the gullies, adjacent to the gullies, further up the gullies or along the ridges? Or is it just a matter of getting out there and taking pot luck anywhere in the landscape near the worked areas.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

None of your own ideas are wrong - any of those areas could be productive for you. But Allways Looking has already given you the best advice for any novice, IMHO: read carefully everything Minelab Gold has written on PA and check out his videos on YouTube. He's the best value I've ever come across in teaching a practical, systematic approach to detector prospecting, rather than the all too typical 'wander and hope'. Good luck in the Whipstick!

Hi Harry, I will definitely join the Bendigo prospectors club thanks. I have purchased a GPX 5000 and looking forward to spending a lot of time in the bush. My plan is learn a lot about the Whipstick before venturing further afield. I really appreciate the advice that I received on this forum to date.

Hi Bullwinkle,

Welcome.

I also found the contributions of Loamer on this forum (and there are other contributors to be sure) that are of great assistance.
Find Loamer's writings here;

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2042

I am somewhat new to prospecting as I commenced in November / December '16.

If you would like to, (I don't read where you reside, but presume you are in Victoria with your Whipstick detecting history), that being semi retired I have the desire to undertake some continuous and serious time in the goldfields.

Being continually alone in the bush to date is not the best means of remaining safe - snakes, injury, vehicle breakdowns, whatever... so I would entertain a field trip out, and likely this could be 2 / 3 nights bush as I am serious enough about my approach.

I am now of the opinion that I need to detect an area, to concentrate solely on that area and to work it properly. I do not think that a scattered go here and there approach is best practice. In three months I have been to 3 places. Blackwood, Malmsbury and Moonambel. I have found gold.

One quote from a lecturer in a completely different field is "Get to know (it) like a cow knows it's calf !!"

There is a lot to know in detecting and I will help you as best I can with what I now know. And it is coil to the ground time that counts.

What is more though is a quote from Abraham Lincoln who said "If I have 6 hours to cut down a big tree I will use 4 hours to sharpen my axe".

Detecting can be a bit like that....
Cheers...

Latest posts