Best Coils for GPX 5000 in the WA Goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My go-to prospecting coil for here in WA is still my 18" NF Advantage spoked coil. and for general use it's the NF Evo 15" spoked coil.
Always good to have a large DD in your kit for salty or extreme ground where you just can't work a mono.

OK. I gave the NF evo tape another go.
Cleaned all previous tape reissue glue off with orange power, and it seems to be OK.....for now. No kinks etc, see how it goes after the monsoon lifts later this week. It was hopeless last time I tried it, but at least it dosnt kink and fold over itself.

G'day all, I'm heading across to WA from Vic in June & will be detecting in the Duketon/Laverton areas.

I have a GPX 5000 with a 15" NF coil.

Is there any other coils that I should consider & how much difference do you think that it'll make to the 15" NF under WA conditions?

Thanks & regards

Bullwinkle said:
G'day all, I'm heading across to WA from Vic in June & will be detecting in the Duketon/Laverton areas.

I have a GPX 5000 with a 15" NF coil.

Is there any other coils that I should consider & how much difference do you think that it'll make to the 15" NF under WA conditions?

Thanks & regards

Hello Mr Bullwinkle.

You have the perfect combo there, I assume that coil is an Evo.

Perhaps you could get a larger elliptical mono coil for patch finding.

Chase the big gold, and you will also get most of the little ones too.

Good Luck. ozziegold.

Thanks Ozzie, yep its an Evo & Ive been really happy with its performance around Central Vic. Ive also got an 11 commander that originally came with the machine.

Bullwinkle said:
Thanks Ozzie, yep its an Evo & Ive been really happy with its performance around Central Vic. Ive also got an 11 commander that originally came with the machine.

The 15" evo seems to be a good coil, my mate uses one and is very impressed with it, they seem to work best on the 5000 and later built 4500's if the commander coil you have is a "mono coil" I have found that they are very stable and my go to coil of that size on hot and variable ground, not as sensitive as say a 12" evo but in some situations a quieter running coil is a better choice, if you don't have a small coil a minelab 8" commander round mono or coiltek round 9" elite would be worth having as well, lots of dryblown areas and scrapes still giving up gold so a small coil is a good investment.

cheers

StayyerAU

Welcome aboard, StayyerAU - it's good to have you here on PA. :Y:

(To help you out, here's some full-stops for your future posts: ......................................................) ;)

StayyerAU said:
Bullwinkle said:

The 15" evo seems to be a good coil, my mate uses one and is very impressed with it, they seem to work best on the 5000 and later built 4500's if the commander coil you have is a "mono coil" I have found that they are very stable and my go to coil of that size on hot and variable ground, not as sensitive as say a 12" evo but in some situations a quieter running coil is a better choice, if you don't have a small coil a minelab 8" commander round mono or coiltek round 9" elite would be worth having as well, lots of dryblown areas and scrapes still giving up gold so a small coil is a good investment.

cheers

StayyerAU
Agreed! The commander is great when those new coils get twitchy.
A 19" coil would be handy if you know you'll be on some deeper ground. :power: :D

Thanks everyone for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Based upon the feedback, I think that for now I'll stick with the 15" Evo & take the 11" Commander as a back up. Maybe do a bit more research on a 19" coil.

I know that the NF is a great coil because I've gone over ground that I'd previously covered with the Commander and picked up some deeper bits and a lot more kinder surprises.

I cant wait to get across and check out WA goldfields and see different country!

Hi bullwinkle i also havea 15" evo on a 4500 and love the combo, but i would not go all that way and rely on one coil. Wa can be hell on coils with all the rocks you hve to detect over. As a extra i would add a 14x9 evo as nenard suggests. It will also find all those tiny bits as well.
Jim

If you wanted a bigger, lighter, bundle wound coil for patch hunting or hot ground would a 20" NF mono spoked coil help? Anyone got some advise/an opinion on that?

It is light as and in very good nick. Depending on how long you are going for you can borrow mine. :Y:

Thanks Reynard & Danny13, I'll definitely look into the 14x9 Evo & make sure that I have a spare coil. Couldn't think of anything worse than travelling that far & having coil break down with no spare. I also going to take a spare pick, skid plates, battery etc just in case.

North East thanks for the offer of you 20" NF coil. Maybe bring it across next time you want to have a swing over this way & we can give it a run over some proven ground.

Both Coiltek and Nugget Finder have excellent aftersales service....spot on actually. I would just stick with the coil you already have and put the extra money towards fuel. If I was buying for the first time the 14 x 9 would be my 1st choice but there really isnt enough difference between the two to be worth the money....in my opinion. If you do get a breakdown then a few days off in town whilst you wait for a repair or a quick trip to Kal to buy another.

Latest posts