3D Model - Black Sand Magnet Recycle Old Hard Drive Magnets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperscott

Scott
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Planning to take my first trip out with My Dad and Family for an attempt at Fossicking, Tomorrow.:)

So been going madly through all my Kit to see what I had that I could take, (including perusing the forum and YouTube to see what i should consider.)

Then playing with my 3D printer last night I thought id see what I could make that might be useful from stuff I had around my work shop.

An old Hard Drive / Disk later and I have black sand magnet.

1) Hard drive magnets from old hard drive/hard disk
2) Piece of string that is strong enough to lift the magnet from its payload
3) Non magnetized separating rings from between hard drive plates

I designed up in 3D Builder(3D design software built into windows 10) a magnet holder for hard drive magnets, and a canister or cylinder to house them.
Model is available @ Thingverse - thing:2011502 ( Will add URL once I have completed my 10 posts )

1483424018_black_sand_magnet.jpg

Please feel free to suggest modifications or take it and edit the files.

Regards

Scott
( HyperScott / Blazesurfer )

The film canister version has my tick simply because 3d printers are not common yet!

If you manage to get a server hard drive the magnet is stronger again.
Just dont get your fingers caught between the two magnets.

It is great to watch students handle the magnets after mandatory the safety warning :)

Film canister would be a quick and easy way to do it as well. also a lot quicker:)

Yer got a few Server drives around looking forward to pulling them out, for the next one.

3D Printers are still a little slow, but allow you to customize things fairly easy. Also getting a lot cheaper/easier now.
I bought DIY build out one years ago, just got demo in at work(so had to borrow it) and its as easy as load files and print.

Got my son's attention printing it and putting together which is good. (six year old so kept him busy for a bit playing with this today)

Additionally I ment to add this exploded view of the 3D model if anyone is interested.
1483429837_blacksand.jpg

Regards

What printer do you have. I ended up building a see me cnc rostock Max V2 and put a E3D V6 hotend and it prints like a well oiled machine.

This vase was printed in ABS. Almost 300mm tall

1483531192_20160216_183958_resized.jpg
1483531218_20160216_184034_resized.jpg

Hey Scott.

I would recommend that you put a rod in there instead of a string and print a cap for it you can fit on the end. Then put a spring on the rod on the outside so u need spring action to push the magnets down against the black sand and when you release it it will retract back up on its own. Just like the commercial black sand magnets are designed.

Greenhornet_au said:
Geez that vase looks awesome, how many hours to print ?

That actually didn't take long at all because it was a single layer spiral print. So it just kept going round and round and built up the layer.

I think it was a couple of hours or so, which is pretty quick in 3d printing terms... Lol

The slicing software is the key to getting a good result. I use Simplify 3D which cost me $150 when our dollar was pretty much on par with the US but the results are noticeable compared to alot of the free software.

Hi Boulders

The one I used for this is an da Vinci 1.0 Junior, by xyzprinting. demo unit at work that I have borrowed.

will look at adding the rod as an improvement on it.

would help when using it upside down as well. ie trying to move it in the pan.

I'm going to go check out the one you have mentioned. I built a CNC (well started) haven't finished yet built it a bit big to start need to stabilize one of the axis better and fix the controller board. so would be interested to see how the one you have is setup.

Boulders,

good to hear your system is printing so well, ive always liked the rostock design,
both of the units I am using are the same type of gantry system. The rostock design has always been appealing to me.

Sorry last post I think I miss understood. the see me cnc is the brand. and you have replaced the hot end on your 3d printer. More sense now.

Yer they look awesome their design is very nice.

if/when I buy another I will be looking at something like this for sure.

hyperscott said:
Greenhornet_au,

I Like this one, something like this will more then likely replace the one I have made looks much better from functionality.

keeps hands free, my one is a little bigger base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riQFzOud3XQ
looks great

thanks.

Clearly some one brighter than me thought of it.

But it you wanted flat ends, just use electrical conduit and end caps, the ends are 'flat'.
Instead of a spring maybe some 'speargun rubber' tube.

Also strong Neodymium magnets with a countersunk hole or thread from Ebay are really cheap
in many diameters. eg
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lot-20-x...hash=item2a2004f0ac:m:mdhx_fvZ0c_XpT6UjSy04pQ

;) :)

Boulders said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Geez that vase looks awesome, how many hours to print ?

That actually didn't take long at all because it was a single layer spiral print. So it just kept going round and round and built up the layer.

I think it was a couple of hours or so, which is pretty quick in 3d printing terms... Lol

The slicing software is the key to getting a good result. I use Simplify 3D which cost me $150 when our dollar was pretty much on par with the US but the results are noticeable compared to alot of the free software.
Could you print up coil skid plates ?

Hello GaryO,

You would need a decent size printer for that and also I don't think the plastic would hold up to the constant punishment delivered to it in everyday use.
They are a great bit of kit and you can just about print anything you want, mainly use ABS but you can get other materials to print with.
We have one at work for prototyping and so far for a small outlay we have made many hundreds of thousands of dollars by just showing customers how it all works then actually giving them the prototype.

To get the best results a good cad program is a must, I use Solidworks and the results are pretty good.
I worked at Bradken years ago and they had 2 3D printers that could do a cubic metre each. We did some full size GET (Ground Engaging Tools) for mining excavators and Face Shovels now that was impressive.

At the moment the Boss wants a scaled down D11 Dozer for Display showing our Products in Place and so far I have made more than 150 parts for it.It looks pretty impressive to say the least.

Cheers

Brad.....

Hi Aushunter,

That would be cool to see the final Display.

any chance of a photo once its done?

Scott

I will try and get some up today, its only early days yet but getting there, each track was individually printed and they just clipped together, it will be a static display only so the tracks will not spin.

Cheers

Brad....

Latest posts