Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi roy i have had the 705 for a few year now with the 18.75 dd concentric coil....ive been told when in prospecting mode its operating in full power...18.75htz....And is much better for things like gold chains and small targets...also for working in mineralized ground ect...but the 7.5...is supposed to be better for coins.... park hunts ect...and apparently..... will penitrate that bit deeper than the 18.75...but as i said ive only used the consentric coil...And im happy just using that for everything. Have had to dig a foot down for a bit of barb wire multiple times in prospecting mode :mad:

10x5 18.75 kHz coil will still beep on coins, but the 7.5kHz concentric will go deeper.

The elliptical is great on beach gutters or when doing a big oval and you need the ground coverage over depth.

Smoky bandit said:
Hi roy i have had the 705 for a few year now with the 18.75 dd concentric coil....ive been told when in prospecting mode its operating in full power...18.75htz....And is much better for things like gold chains and small targets...also for working in mineralized ground ect...but the 7.5...is supposed to be better for coins.... park hunts ect...and apparently..... will penitrate that bit deeper than the 18.75...but as i said ive only used the consentric coil...And im happy just using that for everything. Have had to dig a foot down for a bit of barb wire multiple times in prospecting mode :mad:
Sorry ment to say dd oliptical coil...lol....not dd concentric :D

I'm looking for a good beach/park treasure hunting machine. I think I've decided on the X-terra 705. Am interested in experiences of current owners of this machine on wet sand on east coast Australia. I am aware that there can very mineralised sands on some beaches, but am asking about a typical white sand beach found along our NSW and Queensland beaches. Thanks in advance.

Hi Troutman,
I am very very new at detecting and I purchased the x-terra 705 and am heading to the beaches near Port Macquarie in the coming weeks.

I will let you know how I go. Hopefully the machine works well and I find something. Happy to be out and about but finding some items is what it is all about.

Good luck with the new purchase and happy hunting.

I was out at the beach yesterday with my 705, the real wet stuff like right at the water itself it doesnt like and will false.
However just up from the water line by a 2m or so it runs good, dug a coke can at measured 14.5 inches down, it still worked good in the damp sand, found 8 coins all up for the day.
I have to turn the sensitivity down to 19 or less at the beach, where at parks its usually 22-24, I dont worry about beach mode myself.

For wet sand use, lower sensitivity, enable the Beach GB and use the tracking ground balance. On these settings it will work quite well. It'll run even better and get good depth with the 10.5" round 18.75 kHz coil.

This and the Racer 2 are the two best VLF's I've used for wet beach sand.

Nenad

Hi mate have had my xterra 705 for nearly 4 yrs now...i only use the 18.75 oliptical DD coil..............when on the beach near wet sand it can false alot...always use tracking...and beach mode together. ..and you will need to turn the sencitivity down to around 10 to 8....or to when the falsing is minimal..... ..dont think that this is to low because if you go over a coin it will pick it up at good depth....i was very disappointed wigh the 705 on the wet sand...until i was shown this ..Cheers Happy hunting.

Today I saw the X Terra 705 Dual Pack on sale at Anaconda for $599 so I decided to buy it in order to get me started.

I seen the sticky on the ebook and manual which I am going to start reading.

My question is which coil is best for me to use for relic hunting and jewellery hunting in parks and beaches if I'm mainly chasing old coins and jewellery?

Also. Is there a setting which everyone recommends as a good starting point?

Thanks.

Hi Boulders,and welcome to the 705 club. I have had my duel pack for about 3 months now and have tried out both coils on parks etc.
I have found the standard coil is good for most situations, if the ground is very trashy the elliptical coil can make it easier to pick out the good targets.

I usually run my settings as threshold at 10 and sensitivity as high as it can handle,for my area around 25
And run in all metal unless trash drives me nuts,then lowest discrimination setting.

Cheers mate. Thanks for giving me a start in the right direction. I'm sure there will be plenty more questions to come....lol :rolleyes:

I was told to always use it in prospecting mode regardless of where I'm detecting and then switch to coin mode to get an ID of the object found once it detects something. Is that right?

Hi all yesterday I bought a new 705 and I only just put it together tonight , I'm not the best at reading books so the hand book that it comes with scares the crap out of me,
how do I set it up ? in willing to dig most things but coins would be cool for my kids sake as it's came out of part of there camping funds ? Cheers in advance .

Gday Mate,

Do a search on this site for the 705 . There is heaps of information on here that will go a long way to heloing you get the hang of the machine
Also do a search on Youtube . There are heaps of videos on how to use the 705 and how to set it up for the different search areas.
I too , have a 705 and have been watching a lot of these videos to try and cut the learning curve.

cheers

Bob

Just learn it a little bit at a time ttb, it'll all come together nbit by bit by bit, n you'll be on the learning curve before you know it. :D

The 705 is a great detector and not that hard to use the more you use it the easier it will be you can just turn it on and have a play I set up some targets at home when I got mine and learned a lot that way but enjoy it as you go

Latest posts