Cowra creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone here can help with directions.
I went to go looking at Cowra creek the other day and couldn't find my way in.
I drove the rd from Numeralla through to Jerangle looking for a way in but couldn't seem to find one.
Can anyone offer any advice on how to get into the area close to the mine?
Do you have to go in from behind Bredbo?

There is some info about the area on the forum, and if you search for Cowra Creek and select view results as posts, there is some interesting reading:

"There is a fairly broad line of gold bearing reefs and gravels which extend from Cowra Creek north of Cooma, through to the Big Baja, Little Badja and Numeralla Rivers. This band then follows the ranges south the Nimitabel and becomes quite rich again the closer you get to Bombala / Bibbenluke.
The area between here and Delegate has numerous gold bearing creeks and can surprise many if you put in some ground work and research. Most who fossick theses areas keep their information under their belts, as they haven't had the hammering of the more well known areas, and they like to keep it that way.
You will never find someone putting an "X" on the ground here, but the gold is certainly there for those who seek.
Wal."

"If you want a testing area within an hours drive of Canberra I'd take a look at the Cowarra Gold Field on Cowra Creek just east of Bredbo or the Big Badja Field just past Numeralla.
Ive got small nuggets from both in the past plus there's some good relics in the area as well,(especially Cowra Creek area.)
Best of luck out there mate.
Cheers Wal."

Funnily enough, I have a connection to Cowra Creek mine as well. My grandfather on the other side was a miner there and mum was a little kid on the field in the late 1930's.

DrDuck said:
There is some info about the area on the forum, and if you search for Cowra Creek and select view results as posts, there is some interesting reading:

"There is a fairly broad line of gold bearing reefs and gravels which extend from Cowra Creek north of Cooma, through to the Big Baja, Little Badja and Numeralla Rivers. This band then follows the ranges south the Nimitabel and becomes quite rich again the closer you get to Bombala / Bibbenluke.
The area between here and Delegate has numerous gold bearing creeks and can surprise many if you put in some ground work and research. Most who fossick theses areas keep their information under their belts, as they haven't had the hammering of the more well known areas, and they like to keep it that way.
You will never find someone putting an "X" on the ground here, but the gold is certainly there for those who seek.
Wal."

"If you want a testing area within an hours drive of Canberra I'd take a look at the Cowarra Gold Field on Cowra Creek just east of Bredbo or the Big Badja Field just past Numeralla.
Ive got small nuggets from both in the past plus there's some good relics in the area as well,(especially Cowra Creek area.)
Best of luck out there mate.
Cheers Wal."

Funnily enough, I have a connection to Cowra Creek mine as well. My grandfather on the other side was a miner there and mum was a little kid on the field in the late 1930's.

Exactly the same here - Grandfather mined here and mum went to the school !!! Looking to checkout the area - any assistance would help.

G'day Snowy,

What assistance were you after mate?

If you want to do some reading up on the history of the area get hold of local historian Barry McGowan's books "Dust & Dreams" and "Lost Mines Revisited". The first book in particular has lots of info on the lives of families that lived in that area. You should be able to find copies in the ACT libraries, particularly the Heritage Library in Woden.

Here's a few pix of the area I've posted up previously - https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13770

Cheers,
John

bundyjd said:
G'day Snowy,

What assistance were you after mate?

If you want to do some reading up on the history of the area get hold of local historian Barry McGowan's books "Dust & Dreams" and "Lost Mines Revisited". The first book in particular has lots of info on the lives of families that lived in that area. You should be able to find copies in the ACT libraries, particularly the Heritage Library in Woden.

Cheers,
John

Thanks for the photos John. I'm in Sydney but get down to the snow a bit. Looks like the state library has at least one of those books. Can check out Woden if not. Hopefully it will detail where the old town was. My interest is only in family history. Grandfather was a yank who worked the mines at Ardlethan then Cowarra for 2 winters in a shack before moving to Captains Flat where we lived in another shack before getting a mine house (luxury). Mum went to school at Cowra creek and we both attended Captains Flat school. I only have a Forester so looking for the best road in - taking mum.

Cheers

Ed

G'day Ed,

Probably worth getting a copy of the book to keep, they come up on Ebay from time to time at a reasonable price - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dust-and...376020?hash=item3add358794:g:LnEAAOSwwbdWOY3a

I've been out there a few times in my Forester. It's lifted a bit with A/T tires, but I reckon you'd be ok as long as the Bredbo river crossing wasn't running too deep. The firetrails into the Cowarra mine site aren't too bad, and from there down to Cowra Ck is more washed out and rocky but shouldn't be a problem if you use low range and take it easy.

If you give me a bit of notice I might be able to meet up in Bredbo and show you the best way in.

Cheers,
John

bundyjd said:
G'day Ed,

Probably worth getting a copy of the book to keep, they come up on Ebay from time to time at a reasonable price - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dust-and...376020?hash=item3add358794:g:LnEAAOSwwbdWOY3a

I've been out there a few times in my Forester. It's lifted a bit with A/T tires, but I reckon you'd be ok as long as the Bredbo river crossing wasn't running too deep. The firetrails into the Cowarra mine site aren't too bad, and from there down to Cowra Ck is more washed out and rocky but shouldn't be a problem if you use low range and take it easy.

If you give me a bit of notice I might be able to meet up in Bredbo and show you the best way in.

Cheers,
John

It looks like the published version of Dust and Dreams (Still available from UNSW Press) is a version of Barry McGowan's PhD thesis, which is freely available at this link at the ANU. Note that it is a big download.

https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/8030

I went into the area about five years ago when I first started detecting. Spent a couple of days in there for bugger all. Best thing was 9mm bullet. Found a lost dog too. I was told later by a Geo who was in the area that the gold around there was sulphide gold - and there is a massive arsenic pond just down from the old plant at Cowra Creek. so not sure how many nuggets you will find. But if you are detecting up on the slopes where they bulldozed some races, I am aware of an astonishing geological anomaly. There is a o.5 gram nugget there somewhere...my test nugget that I lost when my rattle jar slipped out of my hand... true story. It is WA gold, so that would give the geos something to think about! I don't want to discourage you, just telling you my story. cheers.

bundyjd said:
G'day Ed,

Probably worth getting a copy of the book to keep, they come up on Ebay from time to time at a reasonable price

Cheers,
John

Thanks John - Appreciate that.

Ed

Latest posts