Garrett ATX 20" Deepseeker Coil information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used 20" Deepseeker coil?I mean actually used it..
Please share your thoughts and experience.

kleinman98 said:
Havent even used it yet and Ive had it since the Nundle trip.

Hi John,
Thanks for reply.
I just got it last week from States and will be testing it soon.
Looks like there nothing on you tube apart from dealer video.
I guess we will find out soon :)

Just havent been anywhere to use a big coil yet but it will eventually happen

G'day all, I fitted the 20 inch mono coil to my ATX recently just to try it out on some ground that I had previously detected at a local goldfield and was amazed at the depth at which it was picking up targets. For instance a .22 slug at over 30cm and an old square shank nail at 60cm.
I found it a bit hard to judge target depth and also to pinpoint its location but feel this will improve as I gain more experience with the new coil and find me a nugget or two. A Garrett pro pointer would definitely be a very handy item to have. My other impression was that it seemed quite heavy initially but I adjusted the shoulder strap to compensate. Scanning the walls of old workings made me feel like I had had a fairly decent upper body workout by the end of the day. :)

Cheers, Fox

Hey Fox, thanks for the report. Alex what was the price from the states, and how did the delivery go getting it from there? I want to get one too, but with the increase in the dollars it makes a real mess of a $G doesnt it. And after all arent PMCoils going to do something shortly arent they?

Tassie Daz said:
Hey Fox, thanks for the report. Alex what was the price from the states, and how did the delivery go getting it from there? I want to get one too, but with the increase in the dollars it makes a real mess of a $G doesnt it. And after all arent PMCoils going to do something shortly arent they?

Hi Daz,
Believe it or not 450$ US + Postage.
"Serious Metal Detecting"-it's the name of the shop.
Had to use US address and get someone to post it to me.No taxes,no hassles,to door delivery around 80$ Aus.
Did some tests,happy with results.Had to get Minelab harness.A must with big "20".

Don't pay 830$. Pay 450$.

Regards,
:)

Fox said:
G'day all, I fitted the 20 inch mono coil to my ATX recently just to try it out on some ground that I had previously detected at a local goldfield and was amazed at the depth at which it was picking up targets. For instance a .22 slug at over 30cm and an old square shank nail at 60cm.
I found it a bit hard to judge target depth and also to pinpoint its location but feel this will improve as I gain more experience with the new coil and find me a nugget or two. A Garrett pro pointer would definitely be a very handy item to have. My other impression was that it seemed quite heavy initially but I adjusted the shoulder strap to compensate. Scanning the walls of old workings made me feel like I had had a fairly decent upper body workout by the end of the day. :)

Cheers, Fox

Hi Fox,
You can get proper harness for 149$ on ebay, "suits all machines",especially ATX.Makes huge difference on both "20" and DD at the end of the day.

$830 is certainly a lot of $$$ for a coil, regardless of it coming with the stem. What were Garrett thinking? Then again, I wonder how much a replacement 8" would be for a sdc2300 if it were ever damaged. :/

Goldpick said:
$830 is certainly a lot of $$$ for a coil, regardless of it coming with the stem. What were Garrett thinking? Then again, I wonder how much a replacement 8" would be for a sdc2300 if it were ever damaged. :/

Yep,
Coming new into the market and to compete with other detectors you want people to be able to afford to enjoy.And to completely block any sales of any Garrett product from US into Australia makes me scratch my head.If I didn't like the looks and performance I certainly would get something else.If people get around it like I did with "20" coil it may just be a wake up call for Garrett?
I came across an ad on ebay where guy would sell brand new ATX for 2200$ and would ship to Australia.
This could be a good business for Steve Herschbach,start shipping Garretts into Australia for US price,you not a dealer :)?
There would be queues...I would buy another ATX.One in one hand and one in the other would keep me in straight line without falling over because of its weight...

Hi all. This one is for all you garrett users who swing the big mono coil, and I guess its not for those built like Matt in WA who's built like a brick dunny. I'm 65 almost, and small framed but I want to be able to use my 20" coil for hrs on end while in the Triangle in a few weeks. I've already devised a harness similar to the Minelab type for their 5000's that I use while swinging the DD coil and the 20" mono but it gets me in the back and I can only really use it for an hour or two at most. The sling that the detector came with is ok for the AT Pro but not much chop for the big coil.

Can any of you who swing the monster give me any clues about how to swing it for longer, short of going to the gym and pumping weights. If a "hipstick" could be devised would that work or has it worked for someone who has devised one already? If you have a way that works for you I'd love to hear from you. Thanks in advance. Tassie!

Try a Pro-Swing 45 Minelab harness that will be about the best for swinging the Garrett ATX with the 20" mono coil, that's what I used when I owned one. Cheers!

Tassie Daz,

Have you thought about making a Hip Stick...
That with the harness would help big time .....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Hi Tassie I have tried hip sticks but I find this a better set up as the weight is taken on both shoulders regards john :)
1472361856_p1040471.jpg

old hand said:
Hi Tassie I have tried hip sticks but I find this a better set up as the weight is taken on both shoulders regards john :) https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3528/1472361856_p1040471.jpg

A cross-piece for your harness is what I meant regarding my 7000 comment:

Nuggetbuster said:
Whatever people are using with the 7000 should be suitable for the ATX

Also, take a look at this video:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/cYLhEtoYiuo[/video]

Latest posts