Western Creek Station Qld information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I live in Cairns. I was wondering if anyone from the Cairns area was interested in teaming up and heading to Western creek to do some detecting? I have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off each week. Post a reply if interested. :D

Hi mate, I live in Cairns.Was planning a trip there for week or so.For days you are off next week (Thursday, Friday, ..) weather doesn't look good, raining hard 10-20mm

Have you all seen the huge cold weather cyclonic pattern in the Great Australian Bight"--WOWEE.
Jaros -love Brisbane-8-10 degrees over Vic-Yeehaaaaaah-bloody cane toads.!!!

Hi guys, depending on when you decide to go I would be interested in joining, but I think I will be a bit short of 'spare' time for maybe a couple of weeks. I will keep an eye on this thread.

No worries cairnspom. I am always keen to get out there. I have regular days off wed, thu and fri every week so we will tee something up for sure mate.

And how about Palmer guys? For shorter break perhaps long weekend...I'm pretty flexible. Now waiting what weather turns up in next few days. Doesn't look very promising, better sit home and watch TV, then sit in rain at Western creek.
PM me if you keen to plan something.

Btw just bought a new book "River of gold" (....The Wild Days of the Palmer River Gold Rush) at Miners den Cairns. Ready for those coming rainy days :D

1469578725_20160727_101356.jpg
1469578747_20160727_101339.jpg
1469578786_20160611_195205.jpg

15$/night camping+fossicking permit, accessible by 2wd, no need to pre book, toilet&shower provided, big campground.A 4wd, quad/dirt bike for travel around station recommended.

Western Creek where?

Sorry you pictures were too hard to read.

We have a western creek here in canberra that is close to some gold deposits, but you are unable to prospect them.

DropBear said:
Western Creek where?

Sorry you pictures were too hard to read.

We have a western creek here in canberra that is close to some gold deposits, but you are unable to prospect them.
Sorry, should mention it's Western Creek in Georgetown district, QLD.
All visitors receive a copy of map and the page of historical info.

Was thinking of heading up to Western Creek Station over the coming school holidays with my daughter.

Looks like it is warming up out there.

I wanted to do some research before heading up, but are finding it difficult to find the exact area on the map. I presume it is near western creek gold mine, and have contact numbers.

Has anyone got any more detail regarding the area covered by the station ?

Thanks

Phil.

Yes, I have read about everything I can find on forums, facebook pages, etc. All i have is a picture of a map and a small amount of history, which I think is given to you when you go to the homestead. The picture of the map was fairly helpful as it had some notations indicating tabletop mountain and true blue mine, which I have found on google maps, but I am not sure this is the only area open at the station or if the station covers other old mine areas. What would be good, but I don't know if it exists, would be an outline of the station or designated areas boundries on google maps.

Just feel I would be going in a bit blind at the moment.

Phil.

Colmaca

Great thanks for the info, thats given me more of an idea what area to study. I guess the eastern boundry is near that little loop you did to the east ?

Phil.

LuckyPhil said:
Colmaca

Great thanks for the info, thats given me more of an idea what area to study. I guess the eastern boundry is near that little loop you did to the east ?

Phil.

You need to zoom in you see the station and camp grounds is east the homestead,

And the flags are where I found a nugget :p

Latest posts