home made antenna, so the deus can detect underwater

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made this from shielded usb printer cable, stripped 1.5 inches off the shielding both ends. Good chance this will work I think. If this doesnt work well enough, I will try TV coax.
1463651313_2016-05-19_19.17.10.jpg

1463651365_2016-05-19_19.16.37.jpg

1463651514_2016-05-19_19.11.39_resized.jpg

Goldpick said:
Good luck, hope it works Rocket. Alternatively, if you ask nicely you can have my official XP underwater aerial kit, doubt if I will ever have a use for it. ;)

Thankyou very much GP, I would love the official kit, and will even put in a good word, to the goblin for ya :)

clegy said:
Love that mod mate!

Might need a wetsuit down your way this time of year I would think. Have fun look forward to seeing how it goes.

Happy Hunting
Make sure you drink about 2 litres of water before putting the wetsuit on. :p :8

The water is still ok, cool but not cold. The antenna worked, coil and stem submerged, in 1.5ft of water at the beach, I got signal to remote, and backphones. The deus is really buoyant, so swinging it is a combination of side to side, plus pushing down. I really want the antenna for lakes, where I can detect waist deep, and not have to deal with wave action. All I found was 5c, canslaw, pulltabs, ringpulls, and a stainless screw. I ran it in wetbeach mode, whilst in the water, wet sand, and dry sand. It works great at our saltwater beaches :)

I think the antenna kit is really directed at fresh water detecting vs saltwater anyway, so I'll send it your way once I have healed from my hospital visit. PM me your address Rocket. :)

used it in the lake today, only found bottlecaps, and large chunks of aluminium cans. The signal got a bit broken at times, but it didnt stop me finding the cans. Be good to compare the proper XP aerial kit :)

rocketaroo said:
used it in the lake today, only found bottlecaps, and large chunks of aluminium cans. The signal got a bit broken at times, but it didnt stop me finding the cans. Be good to compare the proper XP aerial kit :)

Boat ramps are the honey holes, especially around rowing clubs with wealthy people, and those man made inland beaches if you can track one down. :)

Be good if you could make a multicolored flash/variable glow waterproof attachment for either on the coil, or up on the stem, that puts on different colors for different target IDs, one color showing proximity by brightness variability and other colors showing for either idividual target IDs or being able to be programed for ID number zones eg gold silver foil etc. (Intellectual copyright pending to me ). :D

Goldpick said:
Good luck, hope it works Rocket. Alternatively, if you ask nicely you can have my official XP underwater aerial kit, doubt if I will ever have a use for it. ;)

Thankyou very much GP, the kit arrived today :) Looking forward to see how it performs :)

Latest posts