Minelab SD2100 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicko,
One of the very best detectors Minelab released.
Had mine for over 10 years and it talked to me after discovering how to best tune it. My model needed a screwdriver to adjust, didn't bother doing the mod.
Here are some instructions I posted many years ago.

Tuning your Minelab SD 2100:

Firstly you probably HAVE missed many nuggets with your SD "warbling" in your earphones. When I now get the slightest variation in the "hum" I scrape off the top layer of rocks, grass etc and if the signal has improved it is usually a small target, hopefully a nugget.

Getting back to tuning:

With the machine turned on and holding it at waist height with base of coil vertical, rotate 360deg, noting which direction the warbling is greatest.

Lay the detector and coil on the ground with the coil tilted up at about 45/60 deg and facing direction of strongest interference.

Place one hand on the box to keep it steady so there are not any false signals (as you can well imagine the 1 & 2 balance positions are not ultimately tuned at this stage) with your other hand using the small screwdriver, rotate the tuning screw clockwise. (At this point it may be easier to remove your back pack and lay it next to the detector) If you haven't achieved any improvement after say 20 rotations clockwise, rotate anticlockwise for 20 rotations (back to starting point) then keep rotating anticlockwise for another 20 rotations. (This pot does not have a "stop" so it may take time.)You may feel like a bit of a dork out in the middle of nowhere down on all fours with your butt in the air but believe me it is worth the effort.

If you persevere eventually the threshold will become a steady Hummmm! You will only need to readjust if you move to complete new mineralised ground or your machine again becomes unsteady. After you have your machine humming steadily stand up and go through the 1-2 positions of balancing your machine.

At this point it is advisable to select the Tone that most suits your hearing.

Using a small target (shotgun pellet is ideal) scrape a small hole and place target in the hole. Now swing your coil across the target, vary the tone until you get the clearest/ sharpest signal that suits your hearing.

LOW and SLOW and ALWAYS investigate any change in tone no matter how slight, those little grammers soon add up.

Pinpointing your signal:

When a signal is targeted, draw a line through where you think the target is, now step around 90deg and again swing and again draw a line through where you think the target is. Where the two lines cross will be approximately where your target is laying. (After you become confident you will find only imaginary lines are required.)

Coils:

Mono coils have a different target centre to your DD coils, practice with both using previous pinpointing method until you are confident. If the ground is highly mineralised and your machine continually chatters you may need to use your DD coil only.

Tip:

If your signal varies considerably while using the pinpointing method it is quite possible your target is ground noise. (Scrape of the top layer of dirt, the signal should increase if it is a target.)

Good luck on your next visit to the goldfields, and yes, I would be interested in hearing from you whether this advice helped in any way.

Nightjar

Good luck

old hand said:
Yes the sd 2100 were a very good detector for that money to start detecting what can you loose, I have had both but I have not used a 2100 for a long time but I think it may be the better way to go if you get the 2100 use a 12v system regulated back to 7.4 v regards john :)

I ran a regulator on my GP extreme and GP 3000. I started off with a 7AH 12V gell cell and they were ridiculously heavy. Later replaced it with a 4.5 ahr 12V which was half the weight, about the same as the stock 6V batteries, and I still got a full day out of it.
The SD's were unregulated internally, so a regulated power supply meant consistent performance throughout the day and a steadier threshold.

Good thing with the 2100 was they were not quite as sensitive as the SD2200D but this was a bit of an advantage in some areas as it allowed you to use a mono coil.

Nenad

thanks for everyones advise , heres pic of what it comes with,,,
1443953544_sd2100.jpg

Nightjar said:
Nicko,
One of the very best detectors Minelab released.
Had mine for over 10 years and it talked to me after discovering how to best tune it. My model needed a screwdriver to adjust, didn't bother doing the mod.
Here are some instructions I posted many years ago.

Tuning your Minelab SD 2100:

Firstly you probably HAVE missed many nuggets with your SD "warbling" in your earphones. When I now get the slightest variation in the "hum" I scrape off the top layer of rocks, grass etc and if the signal has improved it is usually a small target, hopefully a nugget.

Getting back to tuning:

With the machine turned on and holding it at waist height with base of coil vertical, rotate 360deg, noting which direction the warbling is greatest.

Lay the detector and coil on the ground with the coil tilted up at about 45/60 deg and facing direction of strongest interference.

Place one hand on the box to keep it steady so there are not any false signals (as you can well imagine the 1 & 2 balance positions are not ultimately tuned at this stage) with your other hand using the small screwdriver, rotate the tuning screw clockwise. (At this point it may be easier to remove your back pack and lay it next to the detector) If you haven't achieved any improvement after say 20 rotations clockwise, rotate anticlockwise for 20 rotations (back to starting point) then keep rotating anticlockwise for another 20 rotations. (This pot does not have a "stop" so it may take time.)You may feel like a bit of a dork out in the middle of nowhere down on all fours with your butt in the air but believe me it is worth the effort.

If you persevere eventually the threshold will become a steady Hummmm! You will only need to readjust if you move to complete new mineralised ground or your machine again becomes unsteady. After you have your machine humming steadily stand up and go through the 1-2 positions of balancing your machine.

At this point it is advisable to select the Tone that most suits your hearing.

Using a small target (shotgun pellet is ideal) scrape a small hole and place target in the hole. Now swing your coil across the target, vary the tone until you get the clearest/ sharpest signal that suits your hearing.

LOW and SLOW and ALWAYS investigate any change in tone no matter how slight, those little grammers soon add up.

Pinpointing your signal:

When a signal is targeted, draw a line through where you think the target is, now step around 90deg and again swing and again draw a line through where you think the target is. Where the two lines cross will be approximately where your target is laying. (After you become confident you will find only imaginary lines are required.)

Coils:

Mono coils have a different target centre to your DD coils, practice with both using previous pinpointing method until you are confident. If the ground is highly mineralised and your machine continually chatters you may need to use your DD coil only.

Tip:

If your signal varies considerably while using the pinpointing method it is quite possible your target is ground noise. (Scrape of the top layer of dirt, the signal should increase if it is a target.)

Good luck on your next visit to the goldfields, and yes, I would be interested in hearing from you whether this advice helped in any way.

Nightjar

Good luck

thanx nightjar

I bought myself a sd2100 yesterday and its my first detector.
I will be following ur instructions. thanx for the help.

hey guys I need some advice/tips.

I just took my sd2100 for a swing for the first time just out of Bathurst.
I came across a signal (I think it was a signal) so I started digging away and the signal was still there. but the hole kept getting deeper and deeper. about half a foot. I dunno if I was doing something wrong or the hole wasn't wide enough but I stopped cause I didn't know if u were meant to go that deep down.
I dontthink I have my sd2100 set up right or if it was picking up the shovel I was using.

I know it might be hard to give advice of this paragraph but im not sure whats going on.

Could be a target. Did you notice the signal getting louder as you were digging deeper? If so you're getting closer to it. if it sounds the same it's possible you're digging to the side of the target. Take your detector and swing it carefully around the outside and over the hole you dug to find out where the signal is loudest. If you still can't determine exactly where it's coming from you can dig the hole wider rather than deeper and see if it's easier to pinpoint. It's certainly possible to dig much deeper than half a foot to recover targets. When you find your first horseshoe you'll know what I mean. The ground you're digging in can often tell you if you're onto something good too. If you're still digging topsoil/clay when the target comes out the hole then you're likely not in the good stuff yet. If you get down to gravels or bedrock and the target is still in the hole it's always exciting.

nuggetino said:
Could be a target. Did you notice the signal getting louder as you were digging deeper? If so you're getting closer to it. if it sounds the same it's possible you're digging to the side of the target. Take your detector and swing it carefully around the outside and over the hole you dug to find out where the signal is loudest. If you still can't determine exactly where it's coming from you can dig the hole wider rather than deeper and see if it's easier to pinpoint. It's certainly possible to dig much deeper than half a foot to recover targets. When you find your first horseshoe you'll know what I mean. The ground you're digging in can often tell you if you're onto something good too. If you're still digging topsoil/clay when the target comes out the hole then you're likely not in the good stuff yet. If you get down to gravels or bedrock and the target is still in the hole it's always exciting.

thanx mate. I had a swing around the hole but there was nothing. it was coming from the very bottom of the hole. and the type of dirt was river rocks and gravel

Sounds to me that your going to have to go back and dig it up :lol: fingers crossed for you ;)

Ground noise can be a bit of a demon. If in doubt gb over what you've extracted just to one side and re detect. If the signal disappeared it's likely ground noise. DD or mono?

Gday Ben,
If your not sure whether your onto a target, all you need to do is run the sd2100 over the spot low and slow in an X position.
As they say X marks the spot.
If the signal is smooth and clear, even if it's quiet you have a target most likely.
You need to get a miners pick or at the very least a small hand pick from Bunnings and when you can afford one , a pin pointer.
Your machine is capable of getting a signal down to at least 2 feet.
Happy hunting.
Cheers Steve

stoyve said:
Gday Ben,
If your not sure whether your onto a target, all you need to do is run the sd2100 over the spot low and slow in an X position.
As they say X marks the spot.
If the signal is smooth and clear, even if it's quiet you have a target most likely.
You need to get a miners pick or at the very least a small hand pick from Bunnings and when you can afford one , a pin pointer.
Your machine is capable of getting a signal down to at least 2 feet.
Happy hunting.
Cheers Steve

thanx mate. imight have to go back and make the hole wider aswell.

Could be on the side of the hole and not so far down which is where the pin pointer would be handy? Hope it's not a beer can!

I dug two and a half feet for a beer can last year :mad: I also have to say that I was digging in spots that now that with a little experience under the belt I wouldn't be digging there again.

I sure do hope it's a nugget though and not a great big Fugget!

Sounds like mineralization to me ,best to ground balance before you start digging if the GB is out it will give fault signals .Check YouTube if you are not sure on how to ground balance regards john :)

old hand said:
Sounds like mineralization to me ,best to ground balance before you start digging if the GB is out it will give fault signals .Check YouTube if you are not sure on how to ground balance regards john :)

gday john.

I got abit of a rundown on ground balancing when I bought the machine, and I have read the instruction booklet, but it takes me a few times for it to sink in.
not a lot of vids on youtube of th sd2100 models. is ground balancing on all minelabs

Latest posts