Doug Stone's personal Minelab SD2100

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This was Douglas Stone's personal Minelab SD2100 and has been signed by him (not sure if he signed it so that his prospecting partners knew who's machine was whose, or if he signed it when he sold it on to the new owner). The control box cover was also signed, but is very faded.

I have had email exchanges with him and he has confirmed that it was his signature and detector, he said "I found a lot of gold with it"

It is in very good working condition

1523192790_img_20180408_180426_easy-resize.com.jpg

1523192898_img_20180408_180338_easy-resize.com.jpg

1523192924_img_20180408_180348_easy-resize.com.jpg

1523192948_img_20180408_180355_easy-resize.com.jpg

1523192972_img_20180408_180403_easy-resize.com.jpg

1523192988_img_20180408_180413_easy-resize.com.jpg

1523193022_img_20180408_180544_easy-resize.com.jpg

1523193068_img_20180408_180607_2_easy-resize.com.jpg

Both battery chargers are in good working order. The Minelab one has a piece of plastic that rattles inside but does not affect use. The Coiltek one is for 12V.

The handle is in good condition and has been reinforced with epoxy resin in the lower section cutouts for extra strength. The grip is new and the armrest cover has been washed.

The two 6V batteries appear to hold their charge and there is also an original dome top (just needs to be re soldered and heat glued to a new battery)

The coil is a DD and had a small cut in the plastic covering of the cable, but this has been taped. The shaft lock needs a new cam (it only just grips)

I've listed it on here to see how much interest there is in it. People often put on metal detector listings "has found gold" as if it somehow proves that it does what it's supposed to do.. Well this thing has found a shite load of gold. It's had it's nose over so much gold, it would probably dig it up itself if you let it!

For those who don't know who Doug Stone is, he is one of Australia's most successful prospectors and probably could be considered as prospecting Royalty. He was digging fist sized nuggets out of the ground with VLF's while people like Jonathon Porter were still pooing in their pants (no disrespect)

Please message me with any questions or offers.

I don't doubt it found a lot of gold especially in the hands of Doug :Y: so what price are you asking.

Hi RM, not really sure what to ask.. A SD2100 usually goes for between $900 and $1300, depending on what it comes with.

But is this a bit of kit to find some gold, or a trophy for the wall of a prospector's mancave, to spin stories about over a couple of beers? Probably both..

I consider Doug to be a bit of a legend of Australian prospecting, but that's probably got something to do with the fact that my first book on prospecting, was "Metal Detecting for Gold and Relics" by Douglas Stone, Bob Sargent and Sharman Stone. Which I got when I was about 16 years old..

Keep the paperwork with it and put it up on your wall mate... it'll show its worth when Australia has its own metal detecting hall of fame. :Y:

With this machine's pedigree, I'd be able to build a bat cave! :eek:

But actually I am looking to sell it ;)

I've already got another beeper :Y:

I've decided to put a price on this bit of kit of $1500 but I'm happy to accept offers (please PM me)

How much for Doug' preowned undies (used of course) :D
Sorry just having fun of this ad
Btw somewhere red his biggest nugget was around 300g so not sure about statement " fist sized nuggets"

1525178143_doug_nuggets.jpg

In regards to fist sized nuggets, this is the back page of his co authored 1980 book "Metal detecting for Gold and Relics"
While you wouldn't exactly call them fist sized, they are definitely decent (who they were found by I don't know)

I figured that since he is also a geologist and has been using metal detectors to find gold since the advent of them, in Australia, in 1977, that he would have found some decent sized nuggets...

Especially since there was a lot more gold still in the ground back then (90's) and the SD's found a lot of the big ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts