Ballarat Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1431670112_img_1285.jpg

Got this nice golden brown trout today at Ballarat. Around 5.5 - 6 pound i'm guessing. Caught him in Lake Wendouree on a fly.

Nice one Scrounger, I've only ever caught rainbows and they were little ones, I don't do much fishing now but I'd be wrapped in catching one that size, it would make me put aside the dirt fishing for a while and concentrate on real fishing. :)

Cheers noncents, winter is a great time in this neck of the woods for trout fishing. There are some big fish starting to move in the lakes around Ballarat. Often the worse the weather the better the fishing.

Thanks Wal. Getting excited about winter hitting here. The big browns and rainbows will be out in force over the next 3-4 months and there's some BIG fish amongst them. Hopefully a few more with my name on them.

Nice fat rainbow there mate. We've been having a great run at the mouth of the Eucumbene River of late, and many browns in the 3kg to 4kg range are cooperating quite well. The rainbows up here don't start running till the browns leave the river in early August. Only problem we have is the fly line freezes in the runners by about 10pm and casting can become more than challenging.

Hope the trout keep active for you during the colder months, and don't forget to pack the freezer jacket. :D

Wal.

Lived at Jindabyne for a year and then down in Gippsland and used to hit Eucumbene regularly. I normally do a May trip to Eucumbene every season but not this year unfortunately. Handy from Canberra hey?

1.5 hrs from my back door to providence flats mate on the back road. Let me know when you're up there next and I'll join you on a fishing session. Most of the big fish are being hooked after 10pm and into the early hours of the morning. An hour either side of midnight has been the most productive. Jindy's pretty good lately in the Thredbo arm as well.

Good luck down your way.

Wal.

Cheers Wal, that'd be great. Not sure about fishing either side of midnight. I've done enough of that in the past when younger and fished 24/7. I try to catch my trout in gentlemens hours these days, hence why i like winter so much, the trout are out and about throughout the day. If your ever down around Ballarat or GT area give us a call and i'll take you out for a fish if you're keen.

1432783964_img_1220.jpg

The fishing's around Ballarat is as good as the detecting at the moment. Got this nice hen rainbow out of a local lake using a suspending minnow yesterday.

Latest posts