GPX Control Box Covers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brutus and me said:
mbasko I really like the look of these, my only concern is the extra weight on the end of the machine.
Did this put the balance out and make it any harder to hold the machine??
When I had my SD2200D I had the "Little Ripper" wireless set up from Ismael. The battery is smaller & lighter than the Minelab batteries so it was never an issue with weight. Having the wireless booster also made it (at the time) the only true wireless set up. It was a great set up & unfortunately not available any more. Reeds in WA have a similar set up, the EQ Spirit, but I haven't used one.
When I tried the pouch out on my GPX, no longer having my little ripper, I used the standard GPX battery in the pouch with a custom made short power lead (Vktek Solutions). The only wire or attachment I had was to my booster. It was ok but I reckon the weight did make it harder on long days & I was finding I needed to use a bungy which I hated. After a short trial I went back to a harness as still having a wire attached to my booster + having to use a bungy I felt there was no real advantage to putting the battery in the pouch. The pouch became my first aid kit & bits n pieces holder so was still very useful.
I looked at the Link Technologies battery & even got one as a spare for a trip to Victoria. They are a lot lighter & would work in the pouch if you wanted to drop the harness. By then I had become used to wearing the harness again + had it set up with booster, speaker, pick holder, water bottle etc. so never tried out the Link battery. Also due to rain our detecting days/hours were less than what we had planned on so I never needed a backup battery.
Being under warranty it also worried me a little hooking up to an aftermarket power source, probably unnecessarily, on the GPX. I have heard of people making up their own batteries but it's not something that I've done - I'm too chicken to play around with that stuff to much. Think I'd let the magic smoke out of something :lol:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9008
Theres some info on this thread re: Sony & Lipo if your handy with wiring etc. you could possibly quite easily make something lighter up.

Ty Mbasko, yeah I do the see weight as an issue. I do like the idea of no harness no harm in grabbing one and hooking my booster to it.
Will always have the harness to come back to

Brutus and me said:
Ty Mbasko, yeah I do the see weight as an issue. I do like the idea of no harness no harm in grabbing one and hooking my booster to it.
Will always have the harness to come back to
Yep & that's why I tried it out. No real loss & the cover is good + handy anyway. There are a few blokes I've heard of that still have their Minelab batteries in the pouch & like it - all up to the individual & how long you want to swing for I guess so worth a try. Being connected is a pain & that's one of the main things I really miss with my old SD2200D, being totally wireless/unconnected was fanbloodytastic! Kicking myself for letting it go with the little ripper but I wasn't to know at the time they would stop making them.

1424843945_p1010249.jpg

1424843879_p1010225.jpg

mbasko said:
How do you find the signal to your phone - any delay etc.

no noticeable delay, i have mainly used it coin shooting in public areas , much nicer than sweaty big head phones :cool:

After going from the heavier GP boxes and DD coil's, and gel cell batteries, moving up to the light GPX, lighter monos and lighter batteries was so good. I don't want to put anything extra on my detector. The way I see it, you need a harness of some description anyway, with a few pouches attached. I need to carry my water, keys, wallet, phone, scoop, finds bottle, dunny paper, gps, and I don't want any of that near the coil.

Being connected by a curly cord is no big deal for me. Also with the battery in the harness pouch, my headphone cable only needs to reach down to there so is pretty protected. But, everyone is different, some just cannot get comfortable with a harness and cable running to the machine. We're lucky to have so many options out there to customise your own set-up.

Latest posts