Victorian Miners Right information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlifecrisis

Trevor
Reaction score
A Victorian Miners Right was previously $33.10 for a 2 year and $92.70 for a 10 year Miners Right.

Now, there is no choice, just a 10 year Miners Right which will cost $17.20. We're not complaining!

Their website, however, has not been updated yet to reflect the new prices.

No announcement, no warning, no reason why. I am extremely suspicious of the reason for this. I suspect it is a sweetener for kicking us out of National and other Parks. Nothing on the DEPI site, or Department of State Development, Business, and Innovation either or whatever they now call the body that regulates mining. No courtesy letters to let us know. I bought the first 10 year licence issued in my area a few years back. I will buy another 1 and get an extra 3 or so years for $17.20.
I will endeavour to find out the real reason for this. No government slashes prices and gives you more for less. I am waiting in anticipation of a kicking we will all get in the near future.
Ironically I had a meeting with Parks Vic this morning to discuss an unrelated matter. The Ranger in Charge indicated that there were some big changes about to happen. He is bound by confidentiality not to say, but I have known him for long enough and well enough to be very concerned.

midlifecrisis said:
A Victorian Miners Right was previously $33.10 for a 2 year and $92.70 for a 10 year Miners Right.

Now, there is no choice, just a 10 year Miners Right which will cost $17.20. We're not complaining!

Their website, however, has not been updated yet to reflect the new prices.
Hey midlife do you know if you apply online now will you get charged $17.20 or the listed $33.10?

I suspect the new secret changes by Government are a proposal to restrict alluvial prospecting to around 1/2 a dozen designated limited prospecting areas.
There will be no mechanical devices such as high bankers permitted and any significant disturbance will result in the area being closed.

The main driver behind this is the huge increase in activity of recent years.

Hi Buzz, when I rang them I was told there agents had been told of the new prices but the web has not been updated yet (staff on holidays)
We all may need to band together and join the PMAV

Swinging & digging said:
I suspect the new secret changes by Government are a proposal to restrict alluvial prospecting to around 1/2 a dozen designated limited prospecting areas.
There will be no mechanical devices such as high bankers permitted and any significant disturbance will result in the area being closed.

The main driver behind this is the huge increase in activity of recent years.

This has been bubbling away for 12 months as the previous Govt stated they wanted to restrict non-metal detecting - see below. This issue appears to have come about as a result of the previous Vic Govts report (see http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/forestry...n-environmental-assessment-council/?a=249889) from Feb 2014.

RYAN's (previous Minister) comments are of particular note -see below. MDs will not be affected. Note where he says 'one year', hence Jan/Feb 2015.

Accordingly, in line with VEACs recommendations there will be eight new areas opened to recreational prospecting. The
Victorian Government has also taken a decision, based on VEACs advice, to no longer allow any mechanical equipment
to be used for recreational prospecting, or the processing of materials, anywhere in Victorias national parks (this does not
include metal detectors)
. There will also be a review of compliance with new regulations one year from the implementation
of the new prospecting areas. These areas remaining open to recreational prospecting will be subject to the outcome of
the review.

Ha. Wait til that happens. Restrictions or not if it gets to metal detectors and pans places will be dredged like it's the 80s, and people will still highbank regardless. Hopefully they believe as I believe things are just dandy the way they are. No need to change anything, they would just be shooting themselves in the foot. Prohibition has not and will not stop what people want to do.

LC76 said:
Not enough rangers to stop anyone anyway and lot of bush out there.

Thing i dont get,its ok for the big mines to rape the ground but we get the pointy end of the stick?

You got that right LC76, they have a bigger amount of dough in the bank to keep any pollie happy.

I think the key here is that it states 'National Parks' not state forests. So unless they include them it will be business as usual for highbankers, trommelers and dry blowers :D

From the conversation I had this morning, I am pretty sure we will get the boot from all National Parks, that is panning, sluicing or detecting. There is definitely something brewing in the background and I believe a decision is imminent.

The point here is that as stated previously we get booted from National Parks not state forests. The problem is they want to declare thousands of sq. klm's of crown land as National Parks. Great Forest National Park in the Yarra Ranges is one, and for more just have a look at the Victorian National Parks Association Website, and look at the areas right across the state that they want to turn into Parks. The big problem is we now have a Green/Labour state government. They are never supportive of prospecting.

Welsford state. Big push to be Np. Eldorado in a NP. Whipstick push to be all NP. Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing. I can't see them banning highbankers altogether, to be clearer about what I was saying most prospectors would just see it sitting in the shed and use it anyway. Anything that gets banned just makes it more attractive.

They have so many rivers, reserves, historical areas and NP land locked up and most of the public access left gets hit hard I can only see it end in tears for them. PL applications would sky rocket because blokes, hard core blokes, would cobble together to get access. Perhaps this is the end game? I know I would do it if forced to as the last legal way to do it, and make sure I got as many organized events on it as humanly possible, New 49ers style. Alot of blokes drop a few Grand on the newest detector and accessories without blinking, and a working PL would only need that sort of financial backing from a few guys and they would be good to go. It annoys me it might go that way but its an option.

As for the bloke on the street well if he had the fever bad enough rules or not they will go on prospecting anyways. There's only so far you can shove a bloke before he shoves back. This state was built on gold, and I for one will rally against those that determine to oppose my rights to prospect with everything I have to give. It's not about defiance, it's about liberties.

The Victorian National Parks Association wants to ban panning, sluicing, and detecting as they say all these activities damage the environment. It will be a total ban in National Parks if they do what I think they will. I will make a call tomorrow to a senior department head and see what I can find out. I will post here my findings.

Time for the Prospecting Australia Stockade lads!

Sadly, we dont have the numbers as this is 2015 and many have a lot more to lose.

PB is right, they will make huge areas of state forest into NP and we wont have a GPZ 7000 to lean on.

I love your spirit GT, I sit here at my screen admiring what you said mate.....full respect!

Private Property will be the prospectors only hope for the not too distant future, just like it is in the UK.

Buy up some land in your interested areas boys!

Regards

Wayne

I assume you mean a Miner's Right K/S. You can't get one online as they still have the old pricing. Go in person to your local Miners Right seller. The fact that they haven't changed the website shows how quickly this has been rushed through.
Its a bit like the Mountain Cattlemen.
They had their alpine grazing trial stopped without consultation or notification.
In fact they found out by hearing about it on the news.
The government has said that they intend to undo the damage done by the Liberal State Government.
This can only be bad news for prospectors.

Everyone should have a good look at the Victorian National Parks Association website. They have us firmly in their sites.
The sickening thing is they get funding to fight us from the Labour Party, the Greens and many other unfriendly sources.
It is time to make a stand folks or we will lose everything.

Latest posts