Found In Circulation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eldorado said:
Here's a story for you guys.A gentleman who comes into work ordered a beer at the bar this afternoon,gives me a $20 and as it was happy hour he requires $16 change.I grabbed a $10 a $5 and a $1,now the $1 coin was a bit damaged and as he would probably chuck the dollar in the pokies I said "here is a better one".He says "I got a $1 coin here the other day and tried to put it in the pokies and it wouldn't go in,I had a closer look and it was a South African Krugerrand". :eek: :eek: I asked him what did he do with it and he said he didn't think it was worth anything so he just left it in the tray of the machine. :eek: :eek: .Didn't have the heart to tell the gentleman what he had left in the tray.
As most of you would know a krugerrand is a coin made of gold.I have worked out that if it was about the size of a $1 coin (25mm diameter)it was either a 1/4 ounce (23mm) or a 1/2 ounce (27mm) So it was probably valued either $300 odd or $600 odd. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: So there is a Krugerrand floating around somewhere out there.
Depends on the Krugerrand to it's value..could have been a 1oz K, maybe they got drunk and lost it in the park for you Eldorado :lol: :Y:
http://www.apmex.com/category/16110/1-oz-gold-krugerrands

The 1oz coin is 32.8mm diameter so I figured if it was mixed in with $1 coins it would be of similar size.If whoever picked up the coin didn't realise what it was then maybe they spent it where I work and it could still be in a till.

As long as it was gold it was change to them :lol: I get heaps of NZ goldies here and they were definitely passed as change :rolleyes:
My GF's Dad got given a $200 dollar coin in change from liquor-land a long time ago and a mate of GF's bro pinched it :eek:
I've held a Krugerrand there one mighty nice coin :eek: :Y:

:eek: :eek: just goes to show that you never know what can turn up in your lose change, I've heard stories of people finding half sovs givin in change as 5c coins.

If he left it in the bottom of the pokie machine then maybe its still floatin around in the bottom of one ;)

Upside said:
So will the 1966 wavy go up in value does anyone know?

If past is anything to go by, then i'd say yes...not retirement income, but more than face value....so win, win. :Y:

Reasons?... Made in England and Low production #'s...

www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/research/one-rarest-australian-decimal-coins-issued-circulation-1966-twenty-cent-wavy-baseline

http://www.australian-coins.com/australian-decimal-changeover/1966-wavy-baseline-20-cent/

Rough examples ~ $1-200... excellent grade up to $3-5,000.00.

Also remember to keep an eye out for the 3.5 claw variety.. ;)

http://www.downies.wordpress.com/tag/20c/

http://www.downies.com/royal-austra...-Type-Uncirculated-Coin/6067/productview.aspx

I need a magnifying glass to see the 3.5 claw.

That goes for the double bars also. Very hard to see with out help.

There's also the short wave next to the platypus right hand side of his head. :Y:

Have picked up these two over the last 3 months, both passed off as 5c pieces.
Not exactly worth much but nice pieces all the same :D
1494841710_img_20170515_15931.jpg

Hey guys, found this one in my change the other day. I didn't really think too much about it thinking it is just post mint damage, but put it away anyway incase it might be somthing of interest.

It wasn't until this evening that I stumbled across a very similar fault on a 1979 50c coin on ebay, is it just a coincidence or is there some type of error going in here? Whats your thoughts?

1495111384_mir_20170518_222538.jpg

1495111410_mir_20170518_222503.jpg

1495111432_mir_20170518_222626.jpg

1495111565_mir_20170518_223322.jpg

And here is the link to the coin on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182572420948

Cheers,
M3 :)

A good reason i tend to avoid "error" examples, as they are the easiest to produce fakes of...if there were a misalignment or second strike, it would reveal more across the entire die imo...

Note the seller in that link leaves it up to the buyer to decide how it has occurred...

Perhaps send pics/query to the mint asking for other examples?...

0.02c

Nice macro work there too... :Y:

Cheers Gypsy :Y:
Yeah I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how this might occur during the minting process which is why i just put it down to pmd. But then saw the same error on another coin which looks exactly the same which sparked speculation, even the angle at which it travels along is the same :/

I might do that Gypsy, thanks mate :)

No worries mate,.. best to get it from the horses mouth imo....does seem coincidental, best to know for sure before pinning hopes on a dream.

I'd be happy to hear there's another variety with verified occurrence..

So here is the reply I received from the guys at http://www.australian-coins.com with what is possibly going on with that 50c coin

"That is post mint damage. Most common theory is that its damage caused by a rolling machine. You see it on quite a few 50c coins from the 1970s onwards."

So just as we thought Gypsy, it is pmd, so unfortunately not another variety to look out for :N: :p

Cheers,
M3 :)

GypsyGoldAu said:
:Y: ..into the petrol/munchies jar with it then...still worth fiddy cents at least lol.

Thats it Gypsy, it cost nothing to put away. Im sure I can bribe my 4 year old son to do somthin' for me for fiddy cents ;) ]:D :cool:

To my way of thinking, as the seller doesn't know what he has, i'd email him with the Mint response you got...and see what, if anything, they do with their sale...at best, all he has is a damaged dbl bar 50c...

ymmv... :)

*edit*...is yours also a dbl bar?

As its an already ended ebay item and someone has purchased it i might just leave it as is i think, dont really want to be gettin in the middle of somthinb that doesn't concern me :)

No Gypsy mines a centenary of federation.

Latest posts