starting up /remining a old mine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan27 said:
MJB said:
Can you blokes just continue to do it as a hobby and keep it fun? That way there is no pressure and any gold you recover is cream :D
There certainly is a better than average chance, that by just prospecting the area and surrounding mines in the district including fossicking the mine heaps that rewards could be won.
Most of the sampling in the area contained gold. To make it pay handsomely we need to exchange a few litres of sweat.

That's what I would do...keep the whole area open to you, exchange that sweat and have fun while doing it

Cheers

jethro said:
Hey there HTY. Normally I dont like some of your methods BUT I've got to hand it to you, You're having a red hot crack. And its paying off. Good going & well done.

jethro

well I could be doing drugs or smoking or drinking 24/7 like most people my age do theses days but I don't I find going into the old mines is the best way of prospecting I've tried panning in the creeks and a bit of sluiceing but honestly I find more gold in the old mines then those 2 things combined :)

Just stay safe and document all your exploritory work. If you keep good records of your sampling it will be worth something to a bigger exploration / mining company.

Fantastic find guys!

Don't you need to hold an Exploration Licence or Retention Licence to get a Prospecting Licence (not miners right) or Mining Licence, I'm pretty sure you also need a work program, financial & technical evidence to get an EL. Once you have the EL you have to go through the whole process all over again for the PL or ML.
Also if the site is on Crown land you need to comply with Native Title Legislation. So all up you will be waiting years for your applications to be granted.

I've done a bit of research on this for my own purposes.

IMHO. Extract the ore and take it off site to process, this is legal under your "miners right". How you extract the ore is the only questionable thing.

under our miners right it states that we are aloud to dig 1meter deep anywhere and as long as we use hand tools we are able to dig down 1meter in the existing floor of the shaft and so far we have dug only 200 cm down in solid rock by just a chizzel and hammer chiping bits off

Wintersnake said:
Fantastic find guys!

Don't you need to hold an Exploration Licence or Retention Licence to get a Prospecting Licence (not miners right) or Mining Licence, I'm pretty sure you also need a work program, financial & technical evidence to get an EL. Once you have the EL you have to go through the whole process all over again for the PL or ML.
Also if the site is on Crown land you need to comply with Native Title Legislation. So all up you will be waiting years for your applications to be granted.

IMHO. Extract the ore and take it off site to process, this is legal under your "miners right". How you extract the ore is the only questionable thing.
Lucky for us we didn't bother with all that paperwork. It seems like way too much effort and way too costly to mine here in Vic.

Today 01:18 pm
under our miners right it states that we are aloud to dig 1meter deep anywhere and as long as we use hand tools we are able to dig down 1meter in the existing floor of the shaft and so far we have dug only 200 cm down in solid rock by just a chizzel and hammer chiping bits off

HTY, where does it say that? I thought in vic we could dig as deep as we like? We just have to repair the damage that we caused.

Hunting the yellow said:
that and it was allready found my me in 2011 so theres no need for a exploration lease on the area cos the area has allready been explored in the past

Not having a go you guys I'm just putting the info out there.

But just so you know or for anyone else that's interested in applying for a Prospectors Licence, you need to have a EL or RL before you can even apply for a PL.
Your right that you don't need a EL if you apply directly for a ML though.

Prospector B said:
Today 01:18 pm

HTY, where does it say that? I thought in vic we could dig as deep as we like? We just have to repair the damage that we caused.

That was my understanding as well. ?? If on the yellow I'd be digging till it ran out!

Ryan27 said:
Wintersnake said:
Fantastic find guys!

Lucky for us we didn't bother with all that paperwork. It seems like way too much effort and way too costly to mine here in Vic.

I've thrown the idea of opening up old sites here in vic just down the road from me for a while as well. Still haven't canned the idea completely.

It seems to me that a more economical commercial option is to buy a current lease with at least a few years left on it in QLD, WA or even NT. Go flat out while you can and wind it up/sell it before the lease expires.

I've even seen a couple of sites in NSW for sale that have had assays done on the mullocks and claim you would get your purchase price back from re processing them alone.

have a look under miners rights it states that you may only dig 1meter deep a prospecting liceance means you can dig to china and can buy a prospecting lease with a excisting tunnel on the land for $5000 and you can tunnel under the ground as much as you like and dont have to go through native land rights or land bondage cos its a exicting tunnel or shaft

HTY, I'll agree to disagree, I've read the FAQS and can't see it listed, unless it is buried in some other documentation. Or I might be going blind... Anything is possible!

I think there is just too much restriction and red tape for mining to be considered an industry in Victoria.
I will be sticking to prospecting, I don't see the problem with going for a drive. Selecting some rock and extracting gold from it.
Big mining companies are staying away from Victoria because of bad politics and extreme corruption.
I doubt the government will take mining seriously unless they are out of options.

Hunting the yellow said:
have a look under miners rights it states that you may only dig 1meter deep a prospecting liceance means you can dig to china and can buy a prospecting lease with a excisting tunnel on the land for $5000 and you can tunnel under the ground as much as you like and dont have to go through native land rights or land bondage cos its a exicting tunnel or shaft

Mineral Resources Development Act 1990, Part 5 - Other Authorities, Division 1 - Miners Right, Section 55 to 58.

Section 58 - Obligations of Holder.
(1) The holder of a miner's right acting under that
right must not
(a) use any equipment for the purposes of
excavation on the land, other than nonmechanical
hand tools; or
(b) use explosives on the land; or
(c) remove or damage any tree or shrub on the
land; or
(d) disturb any Aboriginal cultural heritage
(within the meaning of the Aboriginal
Heritage Act 2006) on the land.

This is the law nothing in it about depths mate. So you can dig way :D
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/D...95125BB24CA2577BF007CAD09/$FILE/90-92a080.pdf

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket or anything like that, I've never owned or applied for a commercial mine licence of any type so i could be completely wrong. However I think you need to revisit what is actually required to go commercial coz' governments run on paperwork and you have to have it the way they want it.

G0lddigg@ said:
Hey ryan theres plenty of companies mining in the triangle mate
I am aware they are mining here in Vic. However I wouldn't consider gold mines as a major contributor to Vic's GDP.
This is due to bad policy. If Vic was pro mining like W.A. We would be going pound for pound on jobs with the construction industry. Imagine that, highly skilled people being highly sought by high income incentives.
It would certainly weed about a few building companies with the wrong attitude.
Maybe it would also give our failing manufacturing sector an injection of funds it needs aswell.

Ryan27 said:
G0lddigg@ said:
Hey ryan theres plenty of companies mining in the triangle mate
I am aware they are mining here in Vic. However I wouldn't consider gold mines as a major contributor to Vic's GDP.
This is due to bad policy. If Vic was pro mining like W.A. We would be going pound for pound on jobs with the construction industry. Imagine that, highly skilled people being highly sought by high income incentives.
It would certainly weed about a few building companies with the wrong attitude.
Maybe it would also give our failing manufacturing sector an injection of funds it needs aswell.

The biggest issue in Vic as far as gold mining is concerned is towns were built on and around the gold fields.
Take Stawell for instance, the mine went into care of maintenance because the remaining gold is too deep which requires all sorts of infrastructure to mine it the infrastructure is too expensive so the hole is closed.
But they found more gold closer to the surface that would be a perfect open cut yet the township of Stawell said no so it got canned.

The trick with any government paper work is knowing what they want the paper work to say. Once you know you can churn out the applications like taking a dump.

Latest posts