Walhalla area Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never quite made it that far south myself yet, so this information could be way off, but I've been told quite a few of the old gold areas are not open to prospecting in that region ie: protected \ national parks \ heritage or something to that effect. I know there are some areas which you can prospect in but you need to double check where you can and can't.

I think Marty (AGMAN) has been there a couple times and might be able to offer some advice.

Cheers
Adam

Been visiting the place since I was a kid (4wding with dad) and recently on dirt bikes, great place and I have come across plenty of people panning / sluicing out there so there must be gold out there, steep country though!

There's gold there. But like Adam said, most areas are a no go zone. National parks, heritage , rivers on the no go list etc.
Even thought the place's history is all bout gold, to actually dig a hole or pan in the creek in town is a huge no no. :(

I live about an hour away & don't bother going there for gold.
No need to head that far bush...

Do some homework & stay away from busy touristy areas when it comes to golding.

Walhalla is a great spot to visit though. The mine tour is good, pub has good meals & cold beer. Nice day trip place.

This is my first post and I'm totally new to fossicking/prospecting.

Weather permitting I am taking the wife and dog camping around the Walhalla area the weekend of 27th-28th Sep as it's been quite a while since we've been able to get away and just chill.
We've talked about panning and fossicking for Gems on camping trips for the past 18 months so I finally got off my bum and purchased a couple of pans, picks and a short handled shovel, miners permits etc. and will keep them permanently packed in the back of our 4X4.
We've camped at Coopers Creek, Bruntons Bridge and just north of Aberfeldy in the past and I have a list of exempt rivers & streams printed so as to NOT do the wrong thing.
I was wondering if anyone here knows of any specific area's around the Walhalla area that could be worth spending a few hours panning for fun, hopefully have the chance of a small speck or two.
I have Rooftop's maps as well as Hema Maps 6 Navigation to get around with but we're just basically looking for any pointers that may make our first camping/prospecting weekend that bit more fun and hopefully seek out some new spots up that way for future trips.
Happy to camp it rough as the wife loves to swag it under the stars, lucky for me :)

Cheers,
Pete.

Can't help you with a location I'm afraid as I'm new to this as well and only done a few trips to Beechworth area, but have been looking at maps of that area myself for a trip before Xmas. So please update with Pics and any story's when you get back, and best of luck with the weather and the hunt! Oh and I've been sleeping in the Jeep last few weekends out and it gets mighty chilly at night! take a hat! :)

Okay there are several places you can go
At coopers Creek at the mouth of the river, you'll find some bedrock just below the bridge
I think the 4x4 tracks are still closed until cup weekend but if you are fit and health, and up for a hike there are a few creeks that cross the track that are worth looking at too
The turn off at the railway line going up to happy valley there is a creek just up the road
It too is worth a look, there is also a few old mines in the area too
Found some old bottles around this area,
Heading through to the end of the road you come to the camping grounds at the bridge, name eludes me atm
up on the hill is a lot of old digging
A few old grave bars can be found high from the river

Hope this helps a little
the best thing to do is just get out there and explore

Hi XIV,
I know where the creek mouth is at Coopers Creek so I will definitely have a poke around there. The camping grounds at the end of the road where the big old bridge is Bruntons Bridge camping grounds, I've only really looked at these places through my fisherman's eyes so it will be interesting to see the area with a different perspective this time.
Fingers crossed it's not too wet up there, at least we won't have to worry about the Joe Blakes this time of year.
I've also heard that Donnelly's Creek area above Aberfeldy is worth a look, Donnelly's Creek is on the exemption list but there are smaller feeder creeks in the area looking at my maps, I may run out of time to look out there so will save it for another weekend.
Thanks for the pointers mate and the info is much appreciated as I now have a starting point to my prospecting adventures, thanks again.

Hey MurrayC,
I've been coming up to Walhalla since my year 8 camp in '82 and just fell in love with the area, went back up camping with a mate the first weekend I had my drivers license and have had a few trips since.
I'll post details and pic's of the weekend and fingers crossed the weather won't become a factor, either way I'll get up there asap.

hiya there if u ever want a tag along one day I will be willing im fairly new to the hobby as well any help is good help always good to find new places to prospect

ProspectorPete said:
Hi XIV,
I know where the creek mouth is at Coopers Creek so I will definitely have a poke around there. The camping grounds at the end of the road where the big old bridge is Bruntons Bridge camping grounds, I've only really looked at these places through my fisherman's eyes so it will be interesting to see the area with a different perspective this time.
Fingers crossed it's not too wet up there, at least we won't have to worry about the Joe Blakes this time of year.
I've also heard that Donnelly's Creek area above Aberfeldy is worth a look, Donnelly's Creek is on the exemption list but there are smaller feeder creeks in the area looking at my maps, I may run out of time to look out there so will save it for another weekend.
Thanks for the pointers mate and the info is much appreciated as I now have a starting point to my prospecting adventures, thanks again.

I too have been going up there since I was a kid
Went there too in year 7 with Monbulk s, c
As a keen trout fishermen I loved the area
My brother an I would fish all morning till 10ish when the trout when off the chew
Then would go prospecting till the arvo when the fishing would pick up again
Bruntons bridge, that's the one, anyway just above the camp grounds there is an old shaft there and digging around the area
If facing up the hill, to the right in the bush, there are more diggings hidden by the tee tree
On the steep bank about 200m above the bridge you will see the deposit of old river rock, you can still find some good gold here. As well as the old piles of rock left by the old diggers
Also long fellows creek is worth a look, lots of fines
but as I said don't think the track opens till end of October, the hill up from the bridge is a killer to walk, trust me I've done it
The old log track tho, is flat and easy to walk To the creek
there is some great small waterfalls to see as well, plenty of bedrock here to crevice in
I moved up to cairns in February, so don't get a chance to get out there anymore
Am hoping to get down to vic in November, but don't think I will make it down there this year.
So I may as well hand over some of my spots, I'm still keeping some of them to myself, for when I do get to go out, as all of my family is still in vic
cheers Kane

The area around Bruntons is well and truly overgrown with the regeneration after the fires so imho finding old mines and diggings will be near imposable.

Good luck.

Kane, I really appreciate that info mate. I love the area and will never get tired coming up here to unwind and now I have a new interest to focus on and get me exploring it in more detail, that info helps me a lot and gives me somewhere to concentrate on, big big thanks .

Gippy, I haven't been up this way for a good 12 months so this trip will more likely be a bit of a recon for future trips, tracks may still be shut and the road to Bruntons was shut last time I was up there due to works so I'm just going to take it as it comes and enjoy the weekend, if I get to sample a couple of spots with the pan and find a couple more potential places for future trips I'll come back a happy man.

Dazza, thanks for the offer and I'll see how I go. I've got the wife and our new little Jack Russell pup coming as well so it's a bit of a family camping trip but if I end up doing the odd solo weekend I'll put the word out, would be great to meet up with some others with same interests and learn from each other.

Yes both river and creek is on the DO NOT PROSPECT OR DIE list
The areas I have put down are not on the river
Nor the little creeks that you Can prospect in (not on list)
Stringers creek has areas you can prospect in tho

Yep fully aware of it which is why I did this post to hopefully find some other spots in the general area to look at. It's a shame about the Thompson and Stringers as they look pretty good, especially where Stringers enters the Thompson at the bridge and there's also a nice deep hole on Stringers in Walhalla just down from the Mine, seen a big lazy brown Trout just sitting there a few years back and all attempts to fool him failed, which is why he's made it to a big lazy Trout and me the fool for thinking I had a chance :rolleyes:
Anyway, it's a big area out there with plenty of other creeks to explore that aren't on the exempt list and if all else fails it's just a beautiful place to get away camping in the bush.

Thanks XIV and ProspectorPete, whats the water like in some of those small feeder creeks up that way? My small creek further down is just about out of water now and the first month of spring hasn't finished yet!

I'll be taking notes next weekend when I'm up there so I'll let you know how much is flowing in the creeks I look at, I'm just wrapped to be getting away again at last so fingers crossed I'll the weather gods will be kind.

Latest posts