worst designed bullbar for a Landrover Discovery 3!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
Must be the worst designed bullbar I have seen for a modern 4wd, don't think it would be airbag compliant or legal somehow. :/

1395127705_cp5559665527194150323.jpeg

1395127731_cp4752800619342261854.jpeg

The 5 poster is pretty popular in the outback, with good reason.
Is very effective.

Might stop those Palmer River scrub bulls and Qantas emblems from making your vehicle a complete write-off.

Those FNQ folk need some serious protection, and as for legal, I don't think the thought really features in their priority list. ;)

legality and looks dont matter if it saves you $ 2000 when you hit a roo

that one also doubles as a snowplough

thing is if you get a roo or wombat under your vehicle it can do alot of damage too , i have also seen caravans written off after a roo or wombat goes under the car and then smashed the caravan undercarriage to pieces when it comes out the back end

Bull bars have to be straight or slope forward......legal
if they slop backwards the roo beast (cow) will just be projected straight through the windscreen possibly killing all occupants of the vehicle.
slopping forward they push the beast, deer, roo or what ever down and under the vehicle......possibility of a roll over.

the only thing that slopes backward is the cow catcher on the old steam trains.

I run an XRox bar on my Landrover......air bag compliant.......it certainly slopes forward.
Bull bar of the year 2012
XRox won Bull Bar Challenge 2013
just saying.

thesmithy said:
if they slop backwards the roo beast (cow) will just be projected straight through the windscreen possibly killing all occupants of the vehicle.
slopping forward they push the beast, deer, roo or what ever down and under the vehicle......possibility of a roll over.

the only thing that slopes backward is the cow catcher on the old steam trains.

I run an XRox bar on my Landrover......air bag compliant.......it certainly slopes forward.
Bull bar of the year 2012
XRox won Bull Bar Challenge 2013
just saying.

but yours and many Xrox models dont have protection around the headlights ?

isnt that an issue if you hit a roo or cow ?

you could still come off with a bill for new headlight and guard ( $ 2000 - 2500 )

i like the fact the Xrox are lighter but i thought a bit more protection would be good

My wife hit a wallaby on the kennedy hiway between cairns and mareeba in a subaru xv. No bullbar was available at that time. Cost over 9k to repair the car. Thankfully the car is insured. If you hit a roo you may get lucky and catch the tail or leg as they tend to try to get out the way. If you hit a beast in a car, well good luck hitting something that may weigh as much as your car..

Cheers, Tone

Headsup,
They are not lighter but heavier cross sections.....through the chassis section it is 16mm
13mm x 4 H/T M8 BOLTS.
50MM 5MM pipe.
yes no protection Round headlight. Unless you manufacture your own.
If you bend or brake a section un bolt bolt on new section......down the road.

I have 300kg accessory shock and 50mm spring lift kit. TOUGH DOG foamcell 16mm shafts
Bull bar, winch, steering guard gives me just the correct suspension for the 300kg accessory kit.

hit a roo I know who will come out second best.
headlight 70 bucks, guard 75 bucks......roo dead or close to it.
drive a LandRover it has never let me down yet. 375,000 klm.....still going as good as the day I bought it.

thesmithy said:

Have a look at AS/NZ4876.1-2002, Bullbars have to follow the original lines of the vehicle. They have to be designed in a way that they do not force a pedestrian under the vehicle. Bars that slope forwards force everything under the car. There is a lot of info out there on this - changes were made in July last year specifically covering that issue.

This is possibly the better explained version for everyday use - http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/lbu_vs_ci_112.pdf yes it is a WA publication but the Federal Dept for Infrastructure and Planning implemented the changes.

Hope he never intends to go off road... Approach angle and clearance appear to be a little restrictive. Carpark speed bumps may even cause an issue... :eek:

Ben they tried that on here in Nsw it was defeated on the floor of Parliament.
What would you expect from WA
They attemped to ban BB altogether here. What a bunch or morons

The Government commissioned a data collection company to conduct a 3 day vehicles with Bull Bars count on major road in sydney, Newcastle and wollongong.
After 3 days the results were compiled........the state government came to the conclusion that any state or Federal government that banned Bull Bars would be deteated at the next election.

farkn_gezzuz said:
Hope he never intends to go off road... Approach angle and clearance appear to be a little restrictive. Carpark speed bumps may even cause an issue... :eek:

agree on the ground clearance but looking at the vehicle i could imagine the owner could be a country doctor for example who gets called out at all hours including night time and races around on every kind of road imaginable

you wouldnt want to hit a wombat when you have a woman in labour or a kid with appendicitis 250 km from woop woop and youre stuck with a broken down vehicle

in such a case you couldnt design anything more perfect for the job

Totally agree there Mark,
I think for what it is designed for it will do the job perfectly.protect the occupants from harm.
flat straight roads out back no mountain climbing.

thesmithy said:
I think for what it is designed for it will do the job perfectly.protect the occupants from harm.
What most fail to see is what its attached to.
Guys come on, I do see the importance of an effective bullbar but its stuck on a bloody Landrover
It needs all the real protection it can get. They dont even make good artificial reefs. Whatever dosent sink just floats away.
The owner is blessed with some level of intelligence after all [flap,flap....the sound of Smithys feathers getting ruffled..... :p ]

Weather its legal or illegal. Practicle or useless.
I think the one thing we can all agree on is that its as ugly as a box of burnt lego.

ChrisM,
There is now 2 people off my Christmas mailing list.
My Friend I can remember over a few American Honeys we have had this discussion on a few occassions.
who won......who cares.
see yah mate.

ChrisM said:
thesmithy said:
What most fail to see is what its attached to.
Guys come on, I do see the importance of an effective bullbar but its stuck on a bloody Landrover
It needs all the real protection it can get. They dont even make good artificial reefs. Whatever dosent sink just floats away.
The owner is blessed with some level of intelligence after all [flap,flap....the sound of Smithys feathers getting ruffled..... :p ]

I've never happened upon a stuck Pootrol or Croozer or Lux who actually refused a tug out of trouble from a passing Land Rover.

casper LROCV#131

Latest posts