Any ideas?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, out yesterday and dug this item 300mm in an area littered with old dig holes.
I have no idea what this was, it is brass and appears to fits into something with the small clip.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
1604873874_image.jpg

Good find harry, some more pics from different angles may help.
Jim :Y:

For what it's worth, I think it was definitely for the control of the flow of something, possibly air? to what though, Lamp, organ, stationary engine??

It appears as though it has been knurled on the outer circumference of the knob end, to be turned/twisted with the fingers, which of course would rotate the other end to either open or shut an airway, or any size aperture in between. That little dog-leg on the spring on the other side would allow you to rotate the whole thing without it coming out of whatever the whole unit slides into.

Of course, depress that spring and remove and it would allow you to remove the whole unit giving full air flow and/or allowing you to clean the thing. That little bobble on the end would help you to pull it out while you depress the tab. I don't think it would be of any use for anything other than airflow though- Wine, Fuel, or water would pee out I'd think. As for what it is though FIIK :lol:

Make a nifty pressie for someone then lol.

Could be a measure for flour or some such stuff in an old automated bakery. You could easily change sizes (click in click out), a rotating shaft.... maybe instant cake mix... sugar flour baking soda etc or....
just a small one for baking soda
......a large one for flour
and tadaaa.... self raising flour machine.

Anyway... I'm just rambling now :D

I don't think it had anything to do with liquids (too gappy, as Deepseeker noted) or air flow regulation (still too gappy). Its purpose would relate to solids, but it probably wouldn't be used for adding a solid material into a mix, as its shape is irregular and the small quantity it can hold would vary.

Given its size, my guess is that it's a sampling scoop for a machine or process involving mixing or cooking dry powdered material or granular mixture of some sort, along the lines that silver suggested above.

It dose appear to be a locking plug of sorts, with the possibility of also measuring/ pouring. What is the diameter of it.
Can we see a side on pic of the locking part?

Might be worth researching the local area where you found it and see if the history of the place can steer you. Definitely an interesting find :Y: is the tube section under the spring steel open to the tube or sealed.

For what it's worth as a thought regarding its use might be related to steam regulation.

Latest posts