Camper Trailer Feedback

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it the jack stability winder?
Stability legs arnt really designed for big lifts.
Always use your jockey wheel to raise the front and back of the van when possible.
Put negative fall towards the front of the van firstly, then wind the rear down freely till almost touching the ground.
Then raise the front up by the jockey wheel a tad over level. ( the rear should now be loaded of weight)
Lower the front legs till almost touching the ground.
Then lower the jockey wheel so all 4 legs are loaded.
Balance out till level.
Keep the threads on stabiliser legs clean. Free of grit.
I made up a replica winch rod that went in a mates cordless drill to do the bulk of unloaded winding.
Loves it.
The thread on the jockey wheel will handle wear and tear much better than the thread of 10/12 mm thread on the legs.
Much cheaper to replace as well.

I have recently downsized from my Coromal poptop van to a home built CT with a roof top tent mounted low on the trailer for easy access. My main reason was to reduce my tow weight and get into tighter spots.
So far I have found I have gained some advantages and lost others..... as others have said, theres swings and roundabouts with any decision on your choice of setups.
This was my Coromal van.
1603704828_fbfd31ed-62f9-4746-822c-30016398672e.jpeg

1603704828_184d1fa6-80b2-415a-a00d-192ecb1edec0.jpg

This is the current setup.
1603705137_aa215a78-4010-4777-9dfc-1d88e4db50c1.jpg

1603705138_2563b16c-40d2-444e-b9d6-4810057b0d6c.jpg

1603705138_b6609e7b-18bf-4ef5-a122-69a30e5f9b02.jpg

Very much so!
Everyone is different in so many ways.
I just want something I can stow all my gear in.
Good for one night or 10.
Compact, sensible to my needs, budget, versatile.
Storage is my big concern.
Without the hassle of ticking off a list every trip.
No one forgets beer and meat!
Not be fussed about any deterioration.
2 or 3mm alloy skin.
Gal box chassis.
Hail storm... all good.
Awning either side, 5x4 x2 alloy tool box up front, for the good stuff.
And simple enough to be able to tow it to mates 50th, and crash in the back of it without drama..
Tail gate will be a two peice door but.
One full width of rear for access, (ramp style) plus a PA ( personal access) door.

This is as much as we've opened ours up so far! (but putting it away was sooo much easier!)

Putting the awning up, and the bathroom look daunting!!!
I don't think I will bother??!!

But we have tested the 4 burner stove, sorted that it takes a while for gas to get through the system..
Swapped the water pumps out, but realised that we really do need a GOOD pump on the HWS circuit!
Put a good eggshell topper on the bed, a Queensize doonah is needed, on a king size bed!!
Cant wait to go glamping!

1603719536_121119792_673819486887037_2675267262320341480_o.jpg

Yeh Simmo, I can see a little fellow like you having fun connecting the awning onto the zip on the camper. At least I have a little bit of extra height to help. You will end up getting into a routine putting it all up. :Y:

Cheers

Doug

For high awning zips.

Thread long cable ties through the zip tags
Painters pole (telescopic ) with hook on the end
Dry lubricate the zips (silicone spray )
Stand on bull bar to reach the start of the zip ( or any other part of the car )

Once it's on try folding the camper up with the awning attached

PabloP said:
The problem is that this is a bit like the "How long is a piece of string" question. We all have our likes, dislikes, other constraints such as the $$ stuff is also important, weather, etc. Now in the last 12 months, I have used -
1 - Swag carried in the truck that I was driving from place to place. Of course, you have to cart around other gear as well, but I had the truck for that.
2 - 1 person tent - a similar situation to above, but also ok, for bicycle touring, as swag is too big for a bike.
3 - Rooftop camper on the Prado. Nice and roomy, but a pain in the butt to pack up as I am vertically challenged.
o 3a - So I mounted the Rooftop camper on my 50 year old trailer and towed with the Prado, so that solved several issues and would be great for detecting outings.
4 - Mercedes Sprinter - 4x4 Campervan, with all the mods cons (Pricey). Great for situations where I don't have to drive another vehicle. A bit big for some places, and while it won't go anywhere, it has been on lots of bad Oz roads, farms, cattle stations, so good for long-distance stuff. I have also towed the 2a trailer option behind the sprinter to provide extra sleeping and carrying capacity for the sprinter, so far only shorter runs.

So basically horses for courses.

Rob P.

Daniel, I am not suggesting that you do what I did here, but it may provide some ideas and may be close to what could meet your needs.

Earlier on the forum I posted a quick and nasty conversion that I did on my 50+ year old trailer to help my son & grandson do a trip to Queensland.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25918

Despite the dire warnings from some forum members it came back basically no worse for wear and I used it myself while doing some BlazeAid vollie work in February for 3 weeks after the fires. This was one option of mine (3a) that I mentioned earlier in this thread. As I already have an awning on the Prado, I just loaded the extra camping stuff I need in the space under the Rooftop tent and Bobs your uncle.

Well as I am one of those locked down in Melbourne due to CovID19 I decided to do some improvements to that configuration. Basically I still wanted to be able to use the trailer to cart wood and other bits and pieces as desired, so I just added doors on both sides and front and back, then gave the old girl a major overhaul of the paint and replaced the 3 tyres plus a few other tricks.

1603766734_trailer_shrunk.jpg

I can/have still used it for carting wood prior to lockdown, carting sleeper from Bunnings (during lockdown) and have plans to use it for a 2 week multi-site trip in West Victoria as soon as we are let out of jail.

Rob P.

There are so many to choose from and yes, I have a full van I tow around. However, if I ever went camper, there are a few things to consider.

1. Australian made and designed.
2. Make sure that whatever amount of canvas in and on it is good quality Australian made canvas. There are some OZ built campers that may use foreign sourced canvas. I won't name the country in case they place further embargos on Oz produce. :)
3. Suspension, just like a house, the foundations need to be up to the job.

4. The most important - research, research, research and more research.........

Hard Luck said:
Simmo said:
condor22 said:
There are so many to choose from and
4. The most important - research, research, research and more research.........

$$$$$!!

Condor is right. Research is the most important aspect.

Throwing dollars at a crap product will not make it better.

My point was the dollars involved in buying Ozzie built.
Ours which is Chinese built, Ozzie assembled, new is just under $30k.
A very similar trailer supposedly designed and built in Oz was a tad under $60k.
So yes, research is the key.

Lots of people out there making good memories in chinese campers,most ive seen are ok but fittings and finish can be a bit ordinary but if ya handy on the tools thats easily fixed,even aust made ones are not without there problems,all comes down to budget i think....
In saying that we have a conquerer 490,its not perfect but well built,i joined the conquerer FB page when we got ours and to be honest the majority that buy them post photos parked in caravan park,i dont get it,a jayco and a commodore would be more suited to there needs,i suppose its the thought it can go anywhere or the image.....
Ours has done alot in the 18 months weve had it,just did a 1000klms of dirt last week checking areas for next year,be realistic about what your going to do with it and if hitting the proper outback id go coils,there ya friend on corrugations,alot less stress on the camper,vibration wise.....

Geeze! Big bucks! I just want like cool room box trailer. Solid chassis and suspension.
Awning either side. Big alloy tool box up front.
Two tinted windows, be able to hose it out when needed.
I have no disrespect etc for anyone who has/wants a serious camper trailer.
But with a bit of know how and time, one can fab a decent quality trailer for the price of a new plain box trailer

mudgee hunter said:
Geeze! Big bucks! I just want like cool room box trailer. Solid chassis and suspension.
Awning either side. Big alloy tool box up front.
Two tinted windows, be able to hose it out when needed.
I have no disrespect etc for anyone who has/wants a serious camper trailer.
But with a bit of know how and time, one can fab a decent quality trailer for the price of a new plain box trailer

2 stories and 40 feet MH,youd need a team of tree loppers with ya to go bush,itll be parked at the tourist stop overs and caravan parks. :)

Lookin foward to your build to,sounds like a good little unit.....

I don't stay at parks. I'm just sick of packing everything into the box trailer every trip.
Then unpacking it all.
Obviously you don't understand other people's needs or expectations.
"I" can survive without a microwave!
It will have the obvious SS water tank, and good fuel carrying capacity.
So what's so special do you think I'm missing?

mudgee hunter said:
I don't stay at parks. I'm just sick of packing everything into the box trailer every trip.
Then unpacking it all.
Obviously you don't understand other people's needs or expectations.
"I" can survive without a microwave!
It will have the obvious SS water tank, and good fuel carrying capacity.
So what's so special do you think I'm missing?

If ya replying to me i was talking about the 40 ft bus ,not you....
Who said ya need a microwave?
I really dont understand most of ya last post dude......

Latest posts