Minelab Sovereign detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, is anyone out there using a Soveriegn with a standard coil in water on the beach. I,m thinking of having a go with mine but unsure if the coil is ok under water. The original coil I got with the machine failed when it got damp inside either in storage or in wet grass I had to throw it out and get a new one.

Cheers Tom

I have used a Sov on the beach a few times with a mate in the past and the coil was water proof no worries. I don't own one but have used them.
Not sure what model you have but im pretty sure they are all supposed to be water proof. Check it out on the minelab site though if your not sure Tom. I known the new coils for Sov's can go under water no worries, the open web ones.

Hi Tom, I have a Sov and never had a problem with the coil in wet grass or shallow puddles...the main thing I learned from it was to use waterproof tape on the skid plate and to make sure it was a good seal so water or dirt could not find its way between the 2. Never had a coil fail - touch wood! That would be the first thing to check? I have used on beach but not in the surf, actually my best finds were on the grass fringe where everyone walks to and from the beach to the ice cream/soft drink/food etc. booth or stand. Beach locals always had the sand area sussed out, but seemed to miss this area. Was a while ago and that area may now be covered - I have never lived close to any beach to be an early bird after observing the visiting peeps all day. Cheers, Mark

Thanks guys,
I may give it a go and see what happens, mine is the open web type I can't remember how long I have had it, must be 10 years I too have had reasonable finds on the fringes of the beach where the beach cleaning gadget can't get to especially after a surf carnival. It would be interesting operating one of those I reckon you would find heaps.
Cheers Tom

Hi has anyone here found nuggets with a minelab Sovereign xs 2 pro. or know of anyone that has. I know they are not a recognised gold detector but wondered if it would do the job. Thanks for any info.

Tom

Does anyone have or use one? Was thinking of getting one after seeing a few videos on YouTube. What attracts me is the ability to hip mount the control box and they seem to do well at the beach. Was thinking of selling my xterra to get one.

Hi I have a Sovereign XS 2 Pro and found heaps with it mainly in the UK. Have it with me here now to use on the beach. I haven't used it for some as I have an AP Pro now but the Sovereign is a great detector.

Cheers Tom

Thanks for the feedback, they have wot coils for them and a lot of people seem to use them for the beach. They were an expensive detector when they were released and can attach a id display as well

Sa_bogan said:
Thanks for the feedback, they have wot coils for them and a lot of people seem to use them for the beach. They were an expensive detector when they were released and can attach a id display as well

My Sov has an id display attachment but I never used it. It has a great tone id which I used and got to know well, also has a 10" coil as standard on this model. If it has a fault it would be its weight but with the box hip mounted there is no problem.
I'm thinking of putting it on the market if anyone is interested, I dont really need it now I have the At Pro.

Cheers Tom

My Sov has an id display attachment but I never used it. It has a great tone id which I used and got to know well, also has a 10" coil as standard on this model. If it has a fault it would be its weight but with the box hip mounted there is no problem.
I'm thinking of putting it on the market if anyone is interested, I dont really need it now.

Just wondering Tom what model Sov you have and what kind of money you are asking for it. PM me if you like.

Rec

Well I would be in the market to trade for one. I collect silver coins and bullion if you were interested. Looking for the gt model

recfisher said:
I'm thinking of putting it on the market if anyone is interested, I dont really need it now.

Just wondering Tom what model Sov you have and what kind of money you are asking for it. PM me if you like.

Rec
Hi, mine is a XS2 Pro will want around $400 for it. I'm going to charge it up and give a run as I haven't used it for while to make sure it runs ok. It still has the original rechargeable battery and the pods for holding the AA ,s . It hasn't had much use as I had it in the UK for when I visited every 2 or 3 years looks very tidy always had the ware plate on the coil.

Cheers Tom

Well let me k know how she runs, I'm deffinitly keen as the first in line for this :)

Does anyone know what the standard coil is for the Sovereign Elite? Is it waterproof?
I'm thinking if buying a Sovereign I've seen, that comes with it's original coil. But I don't want to buy it if it's not waterproof, since buying another coil is going to cost me $250, and then I think I'm just better off getting another type of detector that come with a waterproof coil as standard.

Yeah the old man has the 10" tornado coil and it's waterproof. If you come across the gt sov I would buy that one as it was the last in the series

1413376082_photo0545.jpg
Added the sovereign xs to the tool kit. nice condition- 10 '' water proof tornado coil, control box pouch and two battery packs and charger. very reasonable price. bit of a step up from the Compadre. get a bit of swinging practice in and hopefully find some booty. :)
1413375938_photo0544.jpg

Latest posts