Maths problem to solve while sitting around the campfire?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer is 112g. Let me know if I stuffed up :lol:

The son always shovels 1 cubic metre per day so 9 cubes over the 9 days. The father contributes 3 cubes over 9 days.

The gold take was:
12x84=1008g

Each prospector received over the 9 days:
1008/2 = 504g each

The amount of gold they get each cubic metre of dirt they shovelled is:
F = 504/3 = 168g/cm
S = 504/9 = 56g/cm

The difference 168-56 is how much more gold the father gets over the son for each cubic metre of dirt they shovelled

The father gets 112g per cube shovelled more than the son :goldnugget: :goldnugget:

I'm not sure of the rules if someone doesn't get the answer so here's another:

A father and son has an agreement that the son's share of each nugget they find is the square root of it's weight.

They are working a bit of ground returning 84 grams per cubic metre averaging 12 nuggets. They had both drank too much beer the night before so not much work was done that day.

At the end of the day they only had two nuggets. As agreed, the son received the square root of the weight of the first nugget, and the square root of the weight of the second nugget.

The son found that his total share of the daily take was half the combined weight of the two nuggets.

What was the combined weight of the two nuggets?

BigWave said:
Both nuggets were 4g, so the combined weight was 8, so half that is 4.
The square root of each nugget is 2 so twice that is 4.
Simples

Congrats BW that's correct, the combined weight is 8g. :goldnugget: :goldnugget:

Thanks blisters.
I reckon Booney was close to the answer that I would have picked if totally inebriated and smacked nearly unconscious.
Well, on a recent trip to the GT goldfields, he (Booney) found 2 more GOLD nuggets than me (but I was using my GPX and he an SDC - so that was basically cheating in terms of quantity- right :argh: ).
His (GOLD nuggets) were a fair bit smaller though, and I'd had a little too much rum - or was it whiskey? the night before, so I was a little tardy starting the next day :D
Booney's usually up before sun-up and even detects at night, so that also helps explain differences......... maybe......
Dignit also mostly used his SDC (normally sleeps in a bit though), but he found quite a few GOLD nuggets. His total plus Booney's total was 10. Atom sized though :cool:
Mardymoose was also using a GPX. He dropped and partially buried one the night before, but was not a GOLD nugget (and the flies that next day were dreadful).
He found fewer GOLD nuggets than Dignit, but their total GOLD nuggets were 8 - not too shabby for 2 days.
Mardymoose and my totals (GOLD nuggets) were unfortunately 4 less than the other two using their SDCs.
I've used the term: "GOLD nugget" to distinguish between what :poop: Mardymoose dropped.
I reckon I won overall with GOLD nugget weight, but how many GOLD nuggets did each of us find?
Extra points for how many damn flies there were.........

Ha ha yep I was there it was definitely the Rum Possibly the whisky maybe even the Bourbon,but I recon it was the big swig on my bottle of Gin that got him . :lol:

Very amusing BigWave, and how close to the truth the puzzle is :lol: :lol:
Seeing I was mentioned I thought I should try and crack this one.
This is a bit long winded, and probably not the shortest path, but I got an answer.
Using some math.
BW = B + 2, BW=B-2
D+B=10, B=10-D
MM < D
MM + D = 8, D=8-MM
MM+BW=D+B-4, MM+BW =10-4=6, BW=6-MM
MM+B-2=6, MM+B=8
B=10-(8-MM)=10-8+MM=2+MM
MM+2+MM=8, 2MM=6, MM=3
Therefore
MM=3
D=5
B=5
BW=3
:argh:

So here we go ........ also based on the group of Vic PA members mentioned in BigWaves post.

Booney is well known by some members of Vic PA for his magnificent highly acclaimed venison sausages which he makes.
One day at a PA camp Booney made a large number of venison sausages and cooked them up. He left them to cool overnight. He said hed split the sausages four ways with BigWave, Jwal, myself and himself the next day. Saying they are even better cold.

During the night BigWave staggered out of his camper for a wee, cough, splutter and a smoke. On his way back to bed he saw the sausages on the camp table near the fire. He went over and as a joke divided them into four equal piles with one left over, which he ate. Not being able to resist how good the sausages were he also ate one of the four piles, then went back to bed.

Jwal, an early riser, was up lighting the fire before anyone else stirred. We all tend to play possum until Jwal gets the fire going. He saw the sausages on the table and coincidentally divided the sausages into four equal piles with one left over, which he ate. Same as BigWave, after one he couldnt resist also eating one of the four piles while sitting by the fire and having his first coffee for the day.

When Booney rose from the back of his Ute where he sleeps, with ice in his beard, he found 3 piles of sausages with a total of 60 sausages left. As a known late riser I heard a ruckus from my tent. It was something about sausages.

With all of us sitting around the fire after the ruckus settled, having a laugh while hearing of what BigWave and Jwal did, the question was raised, how many sausages had Booney made?

This is the puzzle to solve and question to answer.

StoneTheCrows
You were first in with the correct answer.
109 sausages is correct.
Those sausages are so good. Once you have one its hard to stop. :drooling:
Well done.
Over to you now.
Cheers
P.S Bad luck diggit. You had the right answer too; And from recollection you know how good those sausages are :lol:

Latest posts