Maths problem to solve while sitting around the campfire?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day you're tallying up nuggets found by you and your partner.
You know the total of nuggets is 93 and one of you found 27 more than the other.
What is each ones tally?

Correct answer you get to present a problem..

OK ..... try this, hope it's not too easy, grade 7 maths.

We have 73 gold nuggets (made up of 1gm, 2gm & 5gm nuggets), 112gms in total.

There are twice as many 2gm nuggets as 1gm nuggets.

There are 19 more 2gm nuggets than 5gm nuggets.

How many 5gm nuggets are there.

Good luck, get it right and you can select the next problem.
Cheers T.

blisters said:
Would it be 4?

Spot on Blisters :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: . The weight of the nuggets and total weight are irrelevant

Simple trial and error working backwards from what's known
Assume there's 1 5g nugget, 19 more 2g so = 20, twice as many 1g = 40 (1+20+40=61 not 73) so go higher.
At 4 i looks like 4 19 more =23, twice as many 1g =46 (4+23+46+73).

Leave us with another to tease the brain,
Cheers T.

Oh, there's also the algebra based solution I'll post it if anyone really wants it.

I had to interpret this sentence:

"There are twice as many 2gm nuggets as 1gm nuggets."

as:

"there are twice as many 1gm nuggets as 2 gm nuggets"

i.e. 20x1gm to 10x2gm nuggets

I think that's where others may have gone wrong.

OK I made this one up, hopefully I didn't stuff it :D

A father and son go out occasionally banking on their lease. They've got some ok ground returning 84g gold per cubic metre of dirt.

When they both work together for 9 day stints they are collectively able to put 12 cubic metres through the banker over that period. They divide the gold equally.

When the son works alone for 27 days he puts through 27 cubic metres and keeps all the gold for that period. The son shovels at the same rate as when working with his father.

When working together, how much more gold does the father get each cubic metre of dirt he shovelled than the son?

blisters said:
OK I made this one up, hopefully I didn't stuff it :D

A father and son go out occasionally banking on their lease. They've got some ok ground returning 84g gold per cubic metre of dirt.

When they both work together for 9 day stints they are collectively able to put 12 cubic metres through the banker over that period. They divide the gold equally.

When the son works alone for 27 days he puts through 27 cubic metres and keeps all the gold for that period. The son shovels at the same rate as when working with his father.

When working together, how much more gold does the father get each cubic metre of dirt he shovelled than the son?

They divide the gold equally, so he doesn't get any extra :)

Latest posts