Thoughts on printed river sluice.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simeypoo

Michael
Reaction score
With the weekend coming up I had a thunk.
I have a printer, and wouldn't mind using it for something kinda large.
Has anyone had any success with a 3D printed river sluice?
It's a bit late now to tell me no because like... I have already started printing it.
But I am looking forward to knowing if anyone else has had any practice with one.

1599041418_img_20200902_200915_1.jpg

No need to wait, I'm currently at 15%, and it's only been going for just over 5 hours!

I'm printing a tighter rib, that loose rib and like a cup shape one, the file had all 3 and I figured I would try them all out.
It's a fully customisable set though, they link together with loops and rods so I could just print a bunch of them if they work and stick them in series.
It's just... a long process. These 3 pieces will take (apparently) 35.5 hours.

Thats the problem with 3D printing it takes a loooong time. Still though you should end up with something awsome no one else has. I bent the abs by hand and that allowed me to do reverse angles. If you ever want to duplicate your design and it doesnt have too much reverse angle you could print a negative and vacuum thermoform over it.

I'm using this as more of a test run. What I want to do, if this works okay, is design my own things that interlock kind of like shiplap, with the walls attached so I can just print off like... 20cm sections at a time.
Like this, they can be easily lifted off each other to separate for cleaning out and replacing if one section breaks, so I would need to to castings to make that go easier, but for now until I get that sorted thermoforming would really be way easier for these pieces wouldn't it!

That looks neat as heck! I'm not so sure about the flourescent green though, that might make it a bit hard to see any potential colour yeah? But if it works for him then all the power to him!
I'm at 50% now, my poor printer has never seen this much work at once and it is going like a cat with its tail on fire, might need to giver her a break after these pieces. But it's looking pretty okay. A bit of stringing, but overall it should be a neat clean up and easy assembly!
1599083396_img_20200903_074453_1.jpg

Actually headed out Ophir today, the Mrs is busy so it'll just be me and the kid again and he does have a taste for it, gonna stop by Kmart in orange and get one of those kids metal detectors, even if it is just for the novelty... He's gonna love it.
Bonus if it actually works right? For 25 bucks it's not too terrible if it's not that great, but if it works then it could EASILY pay for itself.

Teemore said:
Points for having a go and being one of the DIY project guys.
I know it doesn't give the same satisfaction, especially if it works, but wouldn't it be easier to just by one (Goldrat etc)?.
Fingers crossed it works for you.
Cheers T.
Absolutely would if I had that kind of money. That being, any at all. Spare funds are seldom seen around this house because everything we need has something to do with spending it.
This is just a way for me to release a bit of creativity with one of my other hobbies. If it ends up working out and actually collects, I'll be happy.
If not, it's certainly a novelty that a broke millennial can appreciate.

In other news, finally got my first colours out at Ophir today!

The fact that I had to take the picture through my magnifier is really testament to how small today's efforts ended up being but God, it felt good seeing it on there and knowing that I have about 20c worth all up haha.

1599128636_img_20200903_202045_1.jpg

1599187042_sluicey.jpg

The finished product.
A bit of cleanup, get rid of the stringing, but it's looking good.
Now just gotta make a channel for it, that's going to be made out of the old dishwasher I reckon.

MrPyro89 said:
Nice work on finding some gold! some days i wish i had a 3d printer to play with lol

Mate I found a half decent pattern for pans... Can't wait to see if they turn out alright, but first things first. Mrs wants a hello kitty cappuccino stencil.

Latest posts