maintenance of detecting gear

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi folks,

as im in inner city melbourne and locked up for some time. Just like to know what i need to do in looking after my gear. I have new sdc2300 and all the mod cons too. Is there any maintenance i can do.
Also is there any research i can do online while in lockdown.

If anyone lives in inner city melbourne or close to it please let me know as i need a hand setting up my new gear like external speakers etc.... I have got swing tags.

Please let me know thanks.

Tim

You could check out Geovic and look for spots to go.

Member here has a good video as a guide.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tlhMJGqQXeE&feature=youtu.be

Also, after a few uses giving the knuckle, and between the coil and the skid plate a good clean will keep it tip top.

Just use warm water and a few rags, maybe a soaker sponge.

In winter its gritty mud, in summer its fine dust.

Apart from keeping an eye and that (and the batterries if they are NIMH) then the SDC should be fine.

Not related to detecting but for people who do highbanking its a good idea to tip water out of your pump and spray WD40 inside it otherwise the pump housing will corrode inside and that can also cause the shaft seals to fail.

It happens.

Its where the coil meets the shaft , under the knuckle protector.
I replaced the two cam locks on the shaft of the sdc today . Easier than I thought just knocked the pins out Gently with a nail and hammer Replaced the cam locks and knocked the pins back in . Now the shaft doesnt slip . :cool:

1597142180_knuckle.jpg

Where the small gap is between the shaft and coil ive wrapped cloth tape around it to cover it seams to work. Ive got white tape on it so i can see any dirt on the tape. Before i go detecting again ill put a new replacement on it and have it covered around 3 times should be good.

Beware cloth tape leaves a sticky residue behind when it is left on for a fair length of time . Heat will separate the tape from the glue over time.

Latest posts