Boiling advice please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.62marksman said:
Rockhunter62 said:
Sell it and buy something besides an "unbreakable" Hilux.

Cheers

Doug
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: its not broken yet just a little sick :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like it has covid 19, shoot it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Doug

You mentioned the water pump was done last year by others.

Is it possible they used the wrong one / aftermarket one ?

I dont know what tools they use to test pressure / flow in car engines these days but that needs to be eliminated.

Is the radiator the same number of cores as standard for that engine ?

Was the overheating happening before the radiator was replaced ?

CreviceSucker said:
You mentioned the water pump was done last year by others.

Is it possible they used the wrong one / aftermarket one ?

I dont know what tools they use to test pressure / flow in car engines these days but that needs to be eliminated.

Is the radiator the same number of cores as standard for that engine ?

Was the overheating happening before the radiator was replaced ?

not sure but i am making a list and will be checking all that has been mentioned on here
So something might just fall into place :( :(

By using Thermo fans, you are only throwing Band-aids at it...

Towing a small C/van should be a walk in the park for a Hi-lux.... Something else is not right... IMO

Did they use the 3L radiator or just the 2.8 one?.. there has to be a difference between them and that could be where your issue is.....

A pressure Test done at a Rad shop is a good starting point... After all, they are cooling experts... And your issue is cooling related...

LW....

LoneWolf said:

LW....

Thermo fans are fitted to most modern day 4WD's.
My old Nissan MQ shortie had this problem, fitted two Thermos and she was cool.
Used to get out there back then grinding around in the bush during summer with very little airlflow through the grill.

LoneWolf said:

Towing a small C/van should be a walk in the park for a Hi-lux.... Something else is not right... IMO

Did they use the 3L radiator or just the 2.8 one?.. there has to be a difference between them and that could be where your issue is.....

A pressure Test done at a Rad shop is a good starting point... After all, they are cooling experts... And your issue is cooling related...

LW....

There has been a lot of good points brought out and i will be checking all of them

Yes even mine has a thermo fan fitted from Factory... But if you are towing something basic like the van 7.62 has, on the open road, I feel something is not right...

Even mine rises a few notches when im in the bush.... But didn't raise a notch when I towed another Pajero on a car trailer on the open road....

Anyhow im sure we will know the issue when 7.62 knows what the issue is...

LW....

Not saying this is your problem but I always cringed at people who put shade cloth in front of the grill.
This would clog up full of bugs restricting the air flow to near zero.
In desperate times when my old Subaru over heated I would pop the bonnet and drive with it on safety latch,bonnet would lift about 2 inches while driving.
Dropped temp a little

greyhound said:
Not saying this is your problem but I always cringed at people who put shade cloth in front of the grill.
In desperate times when my old Subaru over heated I would pop the bonnet and drive with it on safety latch,bonnet would lift about 2 inches while driving.
Dropped temp a little
Routine maintenance.
A lot easier to clean the shade cloth than try and un clog the fins of a choked radiator.

madtuna said:
greyhound said:
Dropped temp a little
Routine maintenance.
A lot easier to clean the shade cloth than try and un clog the fins of a choked radiator.

A good way to keep grass seeds out of the radiator. But you will only have to worry about that if you use your 4x4 for what it's designed for, going off road.

Cheers

Doug

When I read your thread my first thought when you mentioned only when towing the caravan was the transmission (particularly if auto). Condor22 also mentioned it. I will check with my friend who has Hi-Lux 3.0 auto and used to tow a van. I think he had problems but if I recall it may have also had to do with a computer chip.

I will say that mine was a 2.8 non turbo 5 speed manual extra cab hilux 1997 model and they fitted a 3lt turbo
and it is fine on flat or down hill its only when going up hill under load that it boils and that is ANY hill over say 500m long and any grade of hill
of cause the steeper the hill the quicker it boils

Dropped the temp a little

Latest posts