NSW Fossicking Permit Circus

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well...where do I begin? All I want to do is find out who issues the fossicking permits for the Sydney region so I can fax my form in. You'd think it would be easy....oh no! Called 3 different regional offices so far and nobody knows! One office says one thing, the other says another...Head office says "Central issues the permits," but Central says "no we don't"...hmmm

Waiting for a phone call back... :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are you talking about a permit to fossick in state forest?

Leah, there are no fossicking permits needed for the Sydney region or any of NSW, you do need a permit to fossick in the state forests though, I'm sure there are no State Forests in Sydney and none worth looking for anything but relics or coins.

Most areas of forest in and around Sydney are National Parks or similar and are No Go areas.

Are you looking for gold areas, gemstones or coin/relics?

Ramjet said:
Did you see Nugget's guide to getting a NSW permit?
It has been updated very recently.
I got mine thru the Dubbo office with no drama.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3048

Yeah I did. Filled in only the green sections as stated with "ALL" in the location section. I didn't know where to fax it to, so I tried the Batemans Bay office, turned out to be wrong. Ok, so then I started making calls to find out who looks after the Sydney region....nobody by the looks of it.

Heatho said:
Leah, there are no fossicking permits needed for the Sydney region or any of NSW, you do need a permit to fossick in the state forests though, I'm sure there are no State Forests in Sydney and none worth looking for anything but relics or coins.

Most areas of forest in and around Sydney are National Parks or similar and are No Go areas.

There is a state forest in Sydney - Cumberland State Forest. If I go collecting rocks there, I wanna have a permit cos it's still considered fossicking.

http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visiting/forests/cumberland-state-forest

The ladies in the office will probably kill me for saying this, but fax it to the Dubbo Forestry Office (02) 6884 4771, providing you have it filled out correctly with CC details etc, they'll process it for you within 24 hours.

Ramjet said:
I called the Dubbo office. It was the same lady that gave Nugget the info.
But they do all seem confused themselves.

Try Tereene Hill at Dubbo. 6841 4288

Ok I will. Thanks for the info :)

Leah's Mudpie said:
Heatho said:

There is a state forest in Sydney - Cumberland State Forest. If I go collecting rocks there, I wanna have a permit cos it's still considered fossicking.

http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visiting/forests/cumberland-state-forest

As Nugget suggested, Dubbo office, write "ll" in the SF areas you will be fossicking, you will be covered for the whole state. Hmmm I forgot about Cumberland SF. :)

^ Your quick Rod :lol:

Ramjet said:

Hopefully the new online permit system will eliminate all this confusion when it goes live in Jan.

Nugget said:
^ Your quick Rod :lol:

Ramjet said:

Hopefully the new online permit system will eliminate all this confusion when it goes live in Jan.

I hope so, needs to be streamlined.

Nugget said:
The ladies in the office will probably kill me for saying this, but fax it to the Dubbo Forestry Office (02) 6884 4771, providing you have it filled out correctly with CC details etc, they'll process it for you within 24 hours.

Faxed. Thanks Nugget.

Latest posts