You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Goldfield Joe
27 August 2021 11:26 am

Phil8303 wrote:
Goldfield Joe wrote:

Jimmy, on Mullocks the GM is very capable. I have only had mine a month and have found all my gold on the mullocks. To be fair I have been deliberately targeting mullocks only. I have had a go on open ground and runs of shallow diggings but the GM appears to shine on Mullocks with white clay. You can really crank the sensitivity. It can be extremely noisy in other settings with river wash and pebbles etc. At least you have found colour and it won't be your last piece by a long shot, happy swinging!

Phil, I reckon it's the stones and pebbles for sure, I have operated my GM over water puddles and no issue.

Cheers GJ! You are right, mate. Definitely the stones and pebbles making it freak out. I did the hard reset, flicked it over to gold pinpoint only, but with sensitivity on 10 still (as I'm convinced it is better than any auto setting) and went back over a pile about half a foot under the water. This time, going extremely slowly, it was pinging on one particular rock. Came up with this bit of treasure. The GM is an awesome bit of kit! thumbsup thumbsup

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 214020.jpg

Interesting to hear Phil, I haven't tried that setting yet. I have just been using all metal mode. I will definitely try it next time I head out. Is that rock a specie?

GPX 4500, NF 12" Evo, 12X8 Evo, and a whole lotta ground to cover.

Phil8303
27 August 2021 09:45 pm

Goldfield Joe wrote:
Phil8303 wrote:
Goldfield Joe wrote:

Jimmy, on Mullocks the GM is very capable. I have only had mine a month and have found all my gold on the mullocks. To be fair I have been deliberately targeting mullocks only. I have had a go on open ground and runs of shallow diggings but the GM appears to shine on Mullocks with white clay. You can really crank the sensitivity. It can be extremely noisy in other settings with river wash and pebbles etc. At least you have found colour and it won't be your last piece by a long shot, happy swinging!

Phil, I reckon it's the stones and pebbles for sure, I have operated my GM over water puddles and no issue.

Cheers GJ! You are right, mate. Definitely the stones and pebbles making it freak out. I did the hard reset, flicked it over to gold pinpoint only, but with sensitivity on 10 still (as I'm convinced it is better than any auto setting) and went back over a pile about half a foot under the water. This time, going extremely slowly, it was pinging on one particular rock. Came up with this bit of treasure. The GM is an awesome bit of kit! thumbsup thumbsup

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 214020.jpg

Interesting to hear Phil, I haven't tried that setting yet. I have just been using all metal mode. I will definitely try it next time I head out. Is that rock a specie?

Yeh, it has some gold and silver in it. Was covered in mud on the metal side, so I was convinced it was just a rock, but my rule is if its pinging take it home and take a closer look.

1 user likes this post: Goldfield Joe

GoldenMan
29 August 2021 10:27 pm

Hi)
Do you guys use a GM 1000 made in Malaysia or Australia?
Minelab now manufactures all products in Malaysia.
I do not know what this quality is from Malaysia.
Previously, the GM 1000 was produced in Australia, and people write the quality was better.
I don’t know well, can you explain? beer beer

grubstake
30 August 2021 12:01 am

Minelab has been manufacturing its consumer products in Malaysia for more than a decade, so I seriously doubt that any GM1000s were ever built here in Australia.

Where it is, there it is.

2 users like this post: mbasko, Phil8303

GoldenMan
30 August 2021 02:00 am

smile beer

grubstake wrote:

Minelab has been manufacturing its consumer products in Malaysia for more than a decade, so I seriously doubt that any GM1000s were ever built here in Australia.

GoldenMan
30 August 2021 08:24 am

Hi guys)
Another question on the agenda)
How long is the GM 1000 after the warranty period able to work?
Are there those who often use this device for more than 5 years without serious repairs?
Thanks in advance for the help, beer from me beer smile beer

Phil8303
30 August 2021 10:06 am

GoldenMan wrote:

Hi guys)
Another question on the agenda)
How long is the GM 1000 after the warranty period able to work?
Are there those who often use this device for more than 5 years without serious repairs?
Thanks in advance for the help, beer from me beer smile beer

They have only been out since 2017, but maybe someone who has consistently used it for 4 years could share feedback?

1 user likes this post: GoldenMan

Jimmygub
08 September 2021 09:01 pm

Goldfield Joe wrote:

Big thanks for the advice Joe!! Been an arduous few weeks hunting around all kinds of old workings looking for good white clay heaps finding all sorts of lead and so on but my partner and I finally found some of the mullok we were really after and after a couple of days of really focusing on the spot, we found a nice little picker smile

It's definitely much easier targeting the white mullok with the GM as a beginner. The first step I think is to really hear a target where it sits and the clay mullok provides the nice quiet ground to learn on. Bloody hard to learn 1 sound amongst iron jibberish when strictly speaking, you don't know what the sound even is yet! It's not impossible but I think its gotta be hard... The look we gave each other after the first scrape was priceless haha such a sweet tone, different, but we both knew it was a special sound still with half an inch to dig as it turned out. Again, cheers Joe!!1631094957_20210908_174325_copy_1308x1745.jpg

11 users like this post: Caesar, ProspectorPete, fwdoz, grubstake, bob, numpty, Phil8303, Hopeful Tania, robmoto, 20xwater, Goldfreak

Dragey
28 September 2021 10:01 pm

Thanks for the info will experiment with it a bit more

Friar
28 November 2021 06:21 pm

If anyone is looking for one of these Anaconda has them on a Black Friday deal. This not a plug its just some information that was passed on to me.

Cheers

F

2 users like this post: Caesar, Eldorado

Caesar
28 November 2021 06:26 pm

Wow, that is a great price. Free delivery too (also not affiliated)

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- … r/90115121

Did someone say "GOLD!"?

1 user likes this post: Eldorado

guipago
29 November 2021 10:57 am

I just got one from miners den, hope the sales price doesn't signify a new model coming out!

Florcole54
07 January 2022 09:10 pm

This might be a stupid question, but can you use the GM1000 for coin detecting?

Ag Man
07 January 2022 09:45 pm

Florcole54 wrote:

I find all sorts of stuff with mine so don’t see why not.
Just no good on beach tho I’m told. Something about the salt sends them a bit bonkers.

GS10 Highbanker, McKirk sluice, Garret pans, yabby pump etc., Whites Coinmaster 6000D, Minelab Gold Monster

Florcole54
10 January 2022 09:57 am

Thank you

Ag Man wrote:
Florcole54 wrote:

I find all sorts of stuff with mine so don’t see why not.
Just no good on beach tho I’m told. Something about the salt sends them a bit bonkers.

Last edited by Florcole54 (10 January 2022 09:57 am)