Outback/bush internet and TV systems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just had a look though to see if there are any discussions on this and did not find anything so here goes.

We're currently not far from Stanthorpe so far from being remote, but unable to get any tv and the wifi is woefull even the phone is average. So knowing many of the members are avid travellers thought I'd ask what people are using.

Looking around sat systems seem to vary wildly, everything from around $1k up to over $15k so where to go?? Looks as though some can provide sat internet as well.

So what are people using and how does it perform?

Can you still watch DVDs when you can not get sat system?

A lot of the places around Australia you can not get your mobile phone to work,

Goody :)

Got my TV set up on 12 volt , it has built in DVD player,

I have not used it as yet,

Set it up in my caravan,

Have antenna for it but not a sat system,

Have some DVDs,

Hope it will work when I am out the out back somewhere,

Not just in the backyard :lol:

Goody :)

We use a VAST satellite system. Can take up a bit of room (satellite dish) but fairly light. All runs of 12 volt and not to bad on per usage if you have a solar panel.

https://www.myvast.com.au/

Best regards

Didn't bring any DVDs with us, as we are so close to town thought the internal antenna we brought with us would work. Hopeless, no signal at all!

Started looking arount the camp site and not one caravan antenna is the same which started me thinking about the best system to go for.

When I started googling on the phone as it the only internet we can get, it set up a world of confusion, hence this topic to see who's using what and how does it perform as, I imagine it's important to a few of us.

I googled the other day satellite systems fo caravans and you can get the vast satellite system with a 600mm dish with stand for 700 bucks its what I watch at home here remote area tv the government fit it to your house for free if you carn t get reception, also on the same web site there was a 450mm tv 12volt/240 with a dvd player in it for 300 bucks and it only used 3amps per hour so it said looking at the specks

robmoto said:
I googled the other day satellite systems fo caravans and you can get the vast satellite system with a 600mm dish with stand for 700 bucks its what I watch at home here remote area tv the government fit it to your house for free if you carn t get reception, also on the same web site there was a 450mm tv 12volt/240 with a dvd player in it for 300 bucks and it only used 3amps per hour so it said looking at the specks
by any chance do you have the link for that

TV & Internet.

Internet - I use a Telstra 4G WiFi modem when out in the VIC goldfields. I've found several spots where the signal is crap or non existent. Similarly with mobile phone. So I invested in one of these.

1545744177_5dbi-850-900-1800mhz-3g-4g-magnetic-base-vehicle-antenna-4m-ll195-coax.jpg

With the correct patch lead for both modem and phone I've gotten signals where without it there is none. When in the caravan I put it on the van roof to get more elevation, but it will also work on the 4by roof as well. The other issue with internet is that many rural mobile towers still transmit on the 3G network and that will slow internet to a crawl, especially if you have a 4G modem.

TV - You can get VAST for under $600, once you have one, it works anywhere you can see the sky in the direction of the satellite. http://www.rvstoreplus.com/?s=satking&post_type=product in S.A., I'm sure other states will have similar if not better deals. As I pointed out on another thread, my TV draws 3amps the VAST box about 1.5amps, however when using VAST the TV is in HDMI mode and the TV tuner is not working. As a result I've found that the total draw including VAST is still only 3amps.

Re Terrestrial TV; There are 2 methods of transmission Vertical (V) or Horizontal (H) polarisation. I can't remember which is which, but I think most capital cities use H and Rural can be H or V. The best antenna to travel with is one that can do both. For instance, I have a Winegard and it is H, so in an area of V transmission, I'm going to have issues unless I'm close to the source. I've found that in some hillier terrains in the VIC GT that I can pick up Bendigo or Ballarat depending on location and some channels pixilate, which is bloody annoying and in a couple of areas some channels just don't work at all. So I deploy VAST. But I also go armed with a TB of video content for times there's naught but crap on TV.

Latest posts