What is the perfect Beer/Fridge Temp Setting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have done a search on line for the ultimate "Beer" Temp and it says between 1*c and 3*c, So I stuck a Dozen cans in the ARB and set it to 3*c on the Buttons and I also added another thermometer Digital hanging in mid Air right in the middle of the main compartment and the Fridge Setting is accurate within 0.1*c So all good there, The cans had been in there all night and I turned the fridge off for 10 hours and it only warmed up by 5*c then I switched it back On and within 50 minutes +/- I tried one, Jeeze it was pretty cold on the hands and to drink, Not cold enough to give you Brain Freeze but it was just about perfect I reckon, So then I thought I would try it at 2*c, we'll see how that goes after a couple of hours of cooling and temp settling,

So what is your Ideal Beer Temp with your Fridges ? and why,

Thanks,

John.

RM Outback said:
2 deg :Y: no matter the weather because I really like a cold beer and the upside is it'll make an ordinary beer taste better :Y:.

I agree, I like that "Oh Yeah" moment when ya first crack one open, Canned Fosters seems to taste better (fuller) with a fridge temp of 3*c but I think it's more satisfying at 2*c, Some might think that 1* might not have much of a difference but there is difference between a good Beer and that "Oh Yeah" moment,

From the temp side of things, According to an Australian Beer Fridge Company A Beer rises 2* for every 10 minutes since it was poured or taken out of the fridge, perish the thought, On that note I think I might make it illegal to sip Beer from now On. lol :Y:

J.

Manpa said:
2 degrees for me, I like my beer cold as well, but I still don't think you can beat beer that's come out of an ice bath.

what the man said....................................................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :cool:

Jaros said:
Ditto-I only drink Coopers Ultra Lite-still has the taste-but no bad effects!

Never tried that one, back when I had my own workshop On week days I use to drink that Black Swan alkiehol free beer and it wasn't a bad drop and of coarse ya don't do ya Licence if ya get get pulled, The Beer ya have when ya not having a beer :Y:

Manpa said:
2 degrees for me, I like my beer cold as well, but I still don't think you can beat beer that's come out of an ice bath.

Another vote for this one.

Question: If beer and bottled water are put on ice, why do you get a brain freeze drinking the water and not the beer?

Nightjar said:
Manpa said:

Another vote for this one.

Question: If beer and bottled water are put on ice, why do you get a brain freeze drinking the water and not the beer?

Good Question, maybe it's because we tend to Gulp water for quite a few seconds where as we only Bugle Beer unless we are on a mission, lol :lol: :lol: :Y:

My bar fridge is set at 2 degrees and that's the way I like it uh ha uh ha. I have tried to set it at 1 but have found that sometimes because of thermostat fluctuations it may be a tad lower and when I have opened the can the beer freezes. Why is it so ?

Wishfull said:
My bar fridge is set at 2 degrees and that's the way I like it uh ha uh ha. I have tried to set it at 1 but have found that sometimes because of thermostat fluctuations it may be a tad lower and when I have opened the can the beer freezes. Why is it so ?

Well after doing many tests on this I found that all fridges no matter the brand that if you set it to "IE" 2*c that when the fridge powers up at around 3 to 4*c in order to shut off again at the 2* setting they actually drop down "Lower" by 1 or 2 degrees sometimes even 3*deg After they have shut off, So at 2*c your Beer temp can actually be 1* or 0.0 or even -1*c, And within 3 to 5 minutes after the thermostat has switched off the Temp has gone back up to the temp setting you set it at,

This is why so many folks have an issue saying that their fridge Dial panel is out, in a normal upright fridge you can sit a thermometer slap bang on the middle shelf but in these Chest style fridges it is harder to know where to sit the thermometer, I have found that the most accurate place to put it is to let it hang in mid Air from the top centre of the basket divider so it is about 10 to 12" above the floor of the fridge, But in another way Domestic fridges are worse to test because they are so much bigger and you can get a Temp difference of up to 10*c, So having a dedicated Beer fridge is far better than filling the house fridge with beer, because I have a small fridge in the kitchen and at the back on the top shelf the temp is 3.1*c yet in the bottom at the front the temp measures up to 9.4*c, That's a 6.3* swing in a fridge that is only a metre Tall., So if you have one of those 5 or 6 foot high models the difference may be even greater, Unless you have a fridge with a fan in it, this is why a Cold Room has a Fan inside to circulate the Air so the Temp is even all over the inside.

hope that helps.

John.

Love the info. But, and I am not trying yo hijack the thread, why does a cold can of beer before its opened still liquid but as soon as you pop the top it freezes why oh why. Then it looses all it's fizz when it turns back to liquid and tasts lousy even though it's your last one left.

Wishfull said:
Love the info. But, and I am not trying yo hijack the thread, why does a cold can of beer before its opened still liquid but as soon as you pop the top it freezes why oh why. Then it looses all it's fizz when it turns back to liquid and tasts lousy even though it's your last one left.

That happens because as the water in it freezes it separates from the alcohol and due to the extreme cold it numbs your pallet so you can't taste the actual beer which is why various beers and wines are drunk at different Temperatures varying from as low a 1* right up to 15*, checkout these links below

https://beerandbrewing.com/cold-beer-warm-beer-select-the-right-serving-temperature/

https://www.koolmaxgroup.com/blog/what-is-the-optimum-serving-temperature-of-beers/

This one explains a lot, http://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/beer/serve-beer-at-the-right-temperature/

hope that helps.

John.

Good couple of articles there Ridge Runner.

Too many different styles and palates to lock in the right number, Aussies tend to enjoy their beers as cold as possible and Pale lagers that are dry, light, clean-tasting and crisp can handle being served colder than some of the IPA/ales/craft beers that have become popular in our market. Loosely the lighter the beer in both colour and alc vol% the colder you can go, but lower than 2C is not worth it. It just numbs the palate so much you could literally be drinking ice cold piss!

I was a bartender for 14 years and I would hate people messing with the temprites and either going too low or too high as most of our tap beers are unforgiving. Very hard to pull a decent beer sub 2C, they tend to get very heady and lose their carbonation, the really tight egg white head that does not present well or add anything to the beer. That's why you see headmaster schooner glasses in almost every pub.

Beer is also very subjective, so many get all up in arms with the pomp of new beer styles and insult the on tap beer for the masses we all grew up on.

I like a cold beer and those along the lines of Carlton Dry/Cold, Hahn Super Dry, Tooheys Extra Dry and Great Northern Brewing Co Original Lager, some people consider them to be "Lawn Mower Beers: A style of beer you would want to drink after working hard in the yard on a hot summer day" they all work well as a super cold beer and are certainly great on a hot day, after playing cricket in 40C heat I would order 2 schooners knowing the first one would not even touch the sides. That's what make these great beers for the Aussie palate.

For some reason, my missus insists on having Corona Extra with pizza, I have never really understood our fascination with Corona, some reviews will give that stuff 5 stars some will barely give it 1 but that's what its all about, each to their own.

Right now I love Miller Chill, super light, super crisp and refreshing, dangerously easy to drink lawnmower beer....I'm gonna crack one now :Y:

Agreed. Beer can be too cold, especially if you've chucked it in the freezer for a little while too long, it gets super chilled and it turns into a beer slurpee as soon as you crack the cap.

3 or 4 degrees or thereabouts is good enough

AussieChris said:
Good couple of articles there Ridge Runner.

Too many different styles and palates to lock in the right number, Aussies tend to enjoy their beers as cold as possible and Pale lagers that are dry, light, clean-tasting and crisp can handle being served colder than some of the IPA/ales/craft beers that have become popular in our market. Loosely the lighter the beer in both colour and alc vol% the colder you can go, but lower than 2C is not worth it. It just numbs the palate so much you could literally be drinking ice cold piss!

I was a bartender for 14 years and I would hate people messing with the temprites and either going too low or too high as most of our tap beers are unforgiving. Very hard to pull a decent beer sub 2C, they tend to get very heady and lose their carbonation, the really tight egg white head that does not present well or add anything to the beer. That's why you see headmaster schooner glasses in almost every pub.

Beer is also very subjective, so many get all up in arms with the pomp of new beer styles and insult the on tap beer for the masses we all grew up on.

I like a cold beer and those along the lines of Carlton Dry/Cold, Hahn Super Dry, Tooheys Extra Dry and Great Northern Brewing Co Original Lager, some people consider them to be "Lawn Mower Beers: A style of beer you would want to drink after working hard in the yard on a hot summer day" they all work well as a super cold beer and are certainly great on a hot day, after playing cricket in 40C heat I would order 2 schooners knowing the first one would not even touch the sides. That's what make these great beers for the Aussie palate.

For some reason, my missus insists on having Corona Extra with pizza, I have never really understood our fascination with Corona, some reviews will give that stuff 5 stars some will barely give it 1 but that's what its all about, each to their own.

Right now I love Miller Chill, super light, super crisp and refreshing, dangerously easy to drink lawnmower beer....I'm gonna crack one now :Y:

Yeah Chris I make you right, Most folks in Aus drink to cool down and relax, where as over here there is the traditionalists who drink their warm flat beer to savour the Hops and malts etc I have tried some of it and some of those traditional Ales will blow ya head off, And then you have the people who just throw it down their necks to get Ratassed,

Personally I think with a bit of effort we can mess with the temperature of our Aussie Beer so we can not only be refreshed by it but also get to enjoy the flavour rather than numbing our palates. I have never really bothered about it before and it was only doing fridge testing that got me thinking about this because household fridges are so poorly insulated and they have hot and cold spots all over the place where as a 4x4 fridge is more compact with a much more accurate temperature control, But with domestic fridges you can only find the perfect spot in one area of the fridge due to the temp differences being all over the place, Of coarse you can turn the temp up or down to suit but that is then going to effect the other contents of the fridge.

I know canned Fosters at 3* is about right on the limit where you can really taste it without it being too warm and at 2* it's right on the limit the other way.

John.

Latest posts