A new type of pan - the Pink Pan-ther.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 10yo girl and I have had a few adventures now, trying to hunt for gold. We have accumulated more than 1g and less than 2g of alluvial crevice gold in 6 half day outings (my scales are not that great). Although she was enjoying the hunt, and especially enjoying the final clean-up, she was becoming somewhat despondent about the panning as she claimed she wasn't very good at it. This often had her consigned to sluicing duties which were a tad boring. I felt as though I needed to keep her interest piqued otherwise it would be harder for me to justify scratching my own ever growing itch...

So, as an early Christmas present, I bought her a bright pink Gold Claw (claw claw claw claw - it definitely sounds better with an echo...). She had this thing sussed immediately, and out of about 20 pans I think only one of them came up empty. I had her panning into my big Turbo Pan, after which I did a clean-up to see how much she was dropping ... and ... nothing. She was also really, really quick - probably as fast as me with my much larger Turbo, but she would put through less material due to its size.

I was busy sluicing, and put all of my concentrates into a little bucket. At the end of the day, I decided to do the clean-up using the Gold Claw (claw claw claw claw - see what I mean?). It was so quick, so easy and really, really easy to separate the black sands out along the super-fine ridges at the side. Once we had the gold, we simply slid the gold down the corner into a jar. I checked the left-overs, and one tiny spec made it over the Pink Pan-ther's ridges (she named it, not me).

Anyone else had experience with one of these? I wasn't expecting this to be this good to be honest - I actually thought that if it was as good as a normal pan but Pink then I might have her interest piqued for a little longer, so it exceeded my expectations. Would I get one for myself? Yeah! But not in pink...

Cheers,
Mike

Get a pink one mate, no one will steal it and it will be easy to find.
I haven't seen them before, so no comment on how good/bad they are.
But if it works as well as you reckon then great :Y: :Y:

Heres the Pink Pan-their
1512379673_2d3dcae7-7d7a-494d-9799-41cc5f6552d8.jpg

And here is our take from Sunday..

1512379725_a4d1170a-76d3-4774-9c1a-7472229c4810.jpg

The basic premise is to liquidate the dirt by shaking backward and forwards while under water (standard for a pan), then while still shaking backward and forward under water you slowly raise the whole thing until its vertical, at which point your heavies are caught. Go back to horizontal and tap the back of it a few times to get anything caught in the riffles to go back into the main area. Then use one of the sides (turn either 180 degrees or 90 degrees for the ultra fine stuff) to slowly separate the rest.

Cheers,
Mike

ballarat_gold said:
What OP said....get a pink one :) .. I spray mark all my work gear Fluoro pink for that exact reason. No ones ever stole a thing on site :)
Yeah, bloody thieves hate pink, I don't care if someone thinks I'm a fruity bloke kisser, still have my tools, hahahaha.
Wonder if gay rainbow stickers would work as well????

Hmmm got me thinking, next time I'm highbanking a new good gold bearing spot and some unwanted stranger pulls up I might just say " well well hello spunky sailor"
that might deter some sticky beaks, might have to try that.
Although it could be difficult if the recipient bats for the other side. :| :|

To close to Daylesford to try that here, they'd probably drop their pants and bend to pick up the soap

It's a bit off topic, but when I was living in Japan there was a big problem with bicycles being stolen in the town I was in. So, My daughter and I painted bright pink love hearts all over our bikes. I used to leave mine unlocked in the bar district all night! Never got stolen in the ten years I had it!

I must remember to use the same trick if I ever invest in any expensive prospecting gear, but will use BIG pink love hearts, not little ones.

Latest posts