I'm Back And Have Some Great Finds!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My final find for yesterday and most likely one of my best finds!
At first i had no idea what it was, i put it on face book and got all the info. Apparently it is a game played in the trenches in WW1 for chocolate and ciggy's
. Its a double decker derby spinner. In such great condition and works a treat!
Untitled by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Cleaned up...
Cleaned up by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Unusual find, never heard of one till now - lots of unique finds from your part of the world. :Y:

1530509346_images-2.jpg

Well weekend just gone was a flop. I had permission from the shire to do a historic homestead, drove 200klms to be told by the caretaker that we had to leave because of a private function after 30 min detecting. I think the place might of been done many times anyway. We then headed to a spot over done before with no luck.
Yesterday i was really hope full to go try another ghost town. We arrived and as soon as we walked into the bush we started hearing gunshots . That didnt deter me. Walked so many klm's but only found this military button....

We then decided to go back to another spot ive been over but there was a section i hadnt tried. My wife got a 1919 threepence and a few thinhs. I got another button and a small buckle....

On the way back to the car BAMM! a high 44 signal ! I got my phone out to video it just in case it was something good. Sure enough it sure was!!!

1800's Black powder flask. One side of it. Other side might of been leather or it was complete an blew up? Very happy with this one!
1800s black powder flask for a musket rifle by Marc Russo, on Flickr

1800s black powder flask for a musket rifle , cleaned up by Marc Russo, on Flickr

1800s black powder flask for a musket rifle , cleaned up by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Awesome flask and I really like the buttons too. Your finds make me spew that I lived in WA for 38 years and never owned a detector. I always thought that detecting involved wandering around the desert covered in flies looking for gold. Luckily I have dicovered relic detecting now and am loving all the history it brings to life. If you're ever down South Albany is a very old settlement and I never saw anyone detecting there in all the years I lived there. Might have to pack the equinox when I go back for my next holiday. Just look out for the unexploded bombs that didn't make it onto the ships bound for Gallipolli! They dredged a few up from the harbour a few years ago. Apparently it was easier to drop them over the side than stack them in the hold.

Dave79 said:
Awesome flask and I really like the buttons too. Your finds make me spew that I lived in WA for 38 years and never owned a detector. I always thought that detecting involved wandering around the desert covered in flies looking for gold. Luckily I have dicovered relic detecting now and am loving all the history it brings to life. If you're ever down South Albany is a very old settlement and I never saw anyone detecting there in all the years I lived there. Might have to pack the equinox when I go back for my next holiday. Just look out for the unexploded bombs that didn't make it onto the ships bound for Gallipolli! They dredged a few up from the harbour a few years ago. Apparently it was easier to drop them over the side than stack them in the hold.

Cheers mate! Yep most people here in Perth do beaches, parks etc or head to the goldfeilds for gold There is a treasure trove out in the bush towns.
I tried a few spots around Albany but there wasnt much crown land spots where there was lots of activity. Must admit i only had a few days there.
WOW thats cool about the bombs. Never knew that

That's a very cool padlock, was it found near an old police station site or was it lost under slightly more suspicious circumstances?

Dave79 said:
That's a very cool padlock, was it found near an old police station site or was it lost under slightly more suspicious circumstances?
Cheers mate,

It was found behind an old school site. I thought it might of been from the school but apparently WA police had the exact same ones

Love this thread, and your vids.

Just curious, you referred to the 'our own make' button as Military. I've found heaps of these over the years but never related them to military use. I always thought they were just generic/general purpose buttons?

I've got a bit of a fetish for padlocks too (just in a historical sense, nothing weird I promise :p), and that ones a ripper. Keep the finds coming.

ChrisD said:
Love this thread, and your vids.

Just curious, you referred to the 'our own make' button as Military. I've found heaps of these over the years but never related them to military use. I always thought they were just generic/general purpose buttons?

I've got a bit of a fetish for padlocks too (just in a historical sense, nothing weird I promise :p), and that ones a ripper. Keep the finds coming.

Cheers mate. Yeah had some guys on the military buttons page all saying it along with other button pages on face book . I couldnt see how they are military myself.
haha yep its the second padlock like that i have found now. Want more haha

Latest posts