Fake gold bar

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My friends brother recently bought a 10g gold bar on ebay..... He was a bit suss on it so started doing a bit of reading about fakes, sure enough he had bought a dodgy bar, most likely composition would be gold plated tungsten.

Anyway I took a few few pics of it and wanted to put up a warning that you really should not buy gold bars on ebay, they will most likely be fake, always buy your gold from a reputable bullion dealer.

He made a complaint and got his money back, and the bloke told him to keep the ingot. Was a bit cheaper than spot price too at about $465.

1489562321_20170315_162653.jpg

1489562321_20170315_162717.jpg

1489562321_20170315_162727.jpg

1489562321_20170315_162751.jpg

1489562322_20170315_164103.jpg

In a Perth Mint packet and all :eek: maybe worth letting the mint know and give them the sellers details :eek: :N:
Being the packet it's in guarantee they have sold some before and got away with it due the the Mint package
The finish on it looks crappy that's for sure, there's a lot of fake silver bars in the US to so would expect them to be here as well :/
Unbelievable what some people do to try and make a buck these days :rolleyes:
The Perth Mint tamper evident case :lol: :lol: what a good one :N: :rolleyes:
It would make a cool paper weight at work, watch how many people try to pinch it :lol: :lol: :lol:

B5MECH said:
In a Perth Mint packet and all :eek: maybe worth letting the mint know and give them the sellers details :eek: :N:
Being the packet it's in guarantee they have sold some before and got away with it due the the Mint package
The finish on it looks crappy that's for sure, there's a lot of fake silver bars in the US to so would expect them to be here as well :/
Unbelievable what some people do to try and make a buck these days :rolleyes:
The Perth Mint tamper evident case :lol: :lol: what a good one :N: :rolleyes:
It would make a cool paper weight at work, watch how many people try to pinch it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think they are onto it B5, I think some chinese counterfieters have been busy doing it, has been known for a while that this type of thing has been happening but not often you get to see the fakes.

The guy across the road has a lot of silver bullion but doesn't listen to me when I tell him about how many fake ones there are :rolleyes:
A couple he has look soooo dodgy to me but may be real ones but he won't test any just likes playing with them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did it come from china post? sounds like he's an Australian seller :eek: I can see a jail term coming his way if they catch him :eek:

good info heatho, i dont know anything about making ingot's but it looks like its been stamped out and not cast as the sides have the lines in them from the tooling.

holey snap'n butt holes!....... there must be millions of them, i suggest everyone who has them to open them and get them tested.

they must be everywhere, someone has made who knows how much from the unsuspecting punters...... its a bloody disgrace.

This is another forum I am on and this has been discussed many, many times.

Here are a couple of links, or just put a search in for Fake Bars/Coins and you will be shocked!

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...y-violation-perth-pamp-gold-dec-1-dec-10.html

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...eller-multiple-account-warning-must-read.html

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...t-perth-and-pamp-gold-bars-for-sale-ebay.html

Buy from genuine sources people or know how to detect a FAKE!

Hope that helps or scares.

Yeah they have been around for years now. Thats why i only buy bullion direct from ainslie bullion brisbane, you cant trust anyone anymore :(

This type of thing puts doubt in the minds for anybody buying genuine gold from ebay. We regularly have our nuggets up for sale. You look at his seller rating and it's 100% so that's not reliable.

One thing that gave him an idea it was dodgy was because there was no senders address, also there was "no returns" stated on the ebay page, when he contacted the seller they didn't ask for it back and they refunded his money without argument. It really makes me wonder why the feds aren't onto these thieves.

Me and 9 others bought 1oz of perth mint gold
he wanted banktransfer for the money$1650
or paypal I paid with paypal some did not
he sent a tacking No that went to sydney
i live in vic no answer to emails so got on to paypal
got my money back.all the rest got a mt packet and
no money they paid with bank trans and he had
a good report from ebay can supply his trading
name if needed
Mond

Moneybox said:
This type of thing puts doubt in the minds for anybody buying genuine gold from ebay. We regularly have our nuggets up for sale. You look at his seller rating and it's 100% so that's not reliable.

The poor saps don't know yet that they've bought fakes. :eek:

The easiest way to find out from any seller is ask for dimentions, it is very hard for these fake sellers to make them identical. Just like sovereigns when they are thicker or a little heavier they are fake no questions. The dimensions are very accurate for any precious metal and if they dont provide photos with a tape next to the ingot dont buy. The big one don't buy ingots from Ebay people easy to set up an account direct with the Perth Mint and then you get a certificate as well.

Latest posts