Canberra and surrounds newbie.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day fellow prospectors. Happily retired, plenty of free time, too many hobbies - so why not start a new one??

Started with a Fisher detector, and have already had a heap of fun on a couple of South coast beaches and around some old fishing spots around here. Plenty of sinkers, ring pulls, a few coins - nothing worth anything, but still very gratifying. I have just gone out and bought some basic panning equipment - nothing flash, just the basics. And today...I GOT MY FIRST COLOUR!!! Not exactly a nugget, but I couldn't have been more excited!

My wife and I have a small caravan, and are looking at extending caravan holidays into prospecting holidays as well. The thought of setting up the van and then sitting drinking for days on end doesn't do it for us. Now that the weather has settled down a bit, and it has cooled to a reasonable temperature, we are keen to try a few of the local gemstone areas (Wee Jasper, Grabben Gullen the only two I know of). If anybody can suggest a good starting place for us, it would be greatly appreciated. Similarly, gold bearing country.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. Looking forward to swapping some stories, hints and perhaps lies with youse guys and gals.

Cheers!
1488005721_closeup.jpg

Welcome to PA and well done on your first colour, you won't forget it, I still clearly remember my first bit. sounds like you are enjoying retirement, I am still a couple of years off that yet.
As you said you have already been to the south coast you are already in the right area for gold, just need to go to the right spots, plenty of gold around there as like out west nsw, tuena, Bathurst , hill end etc
When it comes to gems I couldn't help, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 20ct rough diamond or a water worn broken bit of clear glass from a beer bottle

I find gems in old bookstores... :D

Like the tome by Bill Myatt....Australian & New Zealand Gemstones, How & where to find them. (in case you want to explore further afield)

Great info. and includes maps of regions..i got one of the older editions for about $12 15 yrs ago as i was getting into gold...yeah i was interested in gems as well, but got the 'bug' for mellow yellow.. :D

The earlier versions had pull out maps, and the later versions had the compressed to the page (iirc)...there is also a good map in there for around Goulburn (Nth to Crookwell and Sth to Collector)

Found it in Canberra (Fyshwick) in a pokey and cram packed arcade shop with books of all sorts....even had rows along the corridors you had to weave through

Online, you can check out the NSW Gov't sites...(in Vic, sorry don't know the equivalent)

Here's a few online guides...

http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking

it has maps via a link near bottom of page, as well as an extended menu options at the foot of the page...

PA (mbasko) covered this here;...

www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1571

it's a few yrs ago and there may have been 'some' changes???

and one from the Lapidary Club site here;...

http://www.lapidaryworld.com/maps_NSW.html

The above are for mostly 'gem' info., but NSW Gold info/history can be found here;...

http://www.treasureenterprises.com/...ld_prospecting_locations_within_Australia.htm

Should be able to sort out any issues on one of them at least. ;)

GGA

Hi mate,

I'm new and also from the Canberra area.
If you're planning any trips then feel free to get in touch

Ross

Latest posts