QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Matt,
are there any vids of testing the QED 'in' magnetic ground as oppossed to 'over' it?

:lol: Even on it would be good.
Don't really know what the purpose of that was but I reckon most goldfields have a magnetic surface like that. Even areas that I find are pretty mild you still pick up surface rock/ironstone on your magnet like that. Ground like that would be more the norm than something out of the ordinary?
What it did show me is that if that's the best the QED operates then I'm going ok with it. Mine does all the same things like spurious noise when moved quickly, other spurious ground/interference noises etc. There were a couple of noises on there that would have made me investigate further but he doesn't seem to even hesitate on them so Howard must be used to the QED's nuances? I'm still finding them frustrating.
Funny how even he says that mode 5 is best with the 8" Commander mono coil where others say mode 1. I couldn't run it on mineralized ground in mode 1 either.
On the video he has the threshold A (volume) up at 90. When I was running like that & having issues they told me my volume was too high? I'm starting to wonder if anyone truly knows how best to set the QED up?
After seeing Rick's video clearly showing the lack of a good signal with the gain at 1 on buried targets I don't think it wise to be showing it set at that & then using an air test. It's not proving/disproving anything IMO. It does reinforce several of the things highlighted by Rick & others though.

Thanks mate and yeah the surface mineralization appeared pretty tame.
Looking forward to Ricks testing with a larger coil here in WA

Absolutely pointless video which showed nothing much at all, except plenty of spurious noises that could have been anything ! :N:

Notice although he stated the bias was at 2 below null he wouldn't actually specify what the bias number was ! :N:

I also looked at his other backyard " test " videos and they were equally pointless, and once again showed plenty of spurious noises before he sat his target ON the ground ! :N:

Considering this is the bloke who makes them, and according to Doug is the best person to " drive " it, my opinion is that his videos only highlighted what a temperamental thing it is ! :N:

This is also the bloke who claims I have no idea how to run it optimally ! :rolleyes:

At least I did a proper series of tests with targets IN mineralised ground, and had none of the spurious noises displayed in Howard's videos !

Rick

Araratgold said:
At least I did a proper series of tests with targets IN mineralised ground, and had none of the spurious noises displayed in Howard's videos !

Rick

Operating the Z in Normal ground type tells me the ground you tested on was not too mineralised.

Rush said:
Araratgold said:

Rick

Operating the Z in Normal ground type tells me the ground you tested on was not too mineralised.

That's the thing Rush, the ground is mineralised, and the ZED does moan a bit over it as another member noticed when I was using the big coil on it, but the targets still jump out with the ZED. :Y:
It is easy to GB beside where your target is and swing over it. When prospecting though, you get the moans coming through. This is an actual goldfield where I have found a lot of gold, and a lot of it was found using normal mode despite the groans, as detection distance is much better than " difficult ".

Rick

Well from what I saw the last time out on the goldfield with a friend and his Zed he had very little hope of operating in Normal, only Difficult.

Rush, having owned a GPZ and found quite a bit of gold with it, I have to agree with you in regard to running the Z in normal. The only time it is feasible to run a Z in normal is when you have proven and found gold in an area. Running in normal brings up all sorts of sounds, most of which will not be gold. Some may be, but your 'patch' will be covered in refilled holes that have yielded nothing, because you have to dig every noise just in case.
You just can't detect like that if you are prospecting. It's madness trying to prove up new ground like that. It is only feasible when trying to get those last few colors out of an already proven patch. At least with the QED you can reliably ground balance these possible signals either in or out.
Oh, and by the way, that is not Howard's voice in that video, and therefore it can be assumed that it is not Howard making it.

OK Reg,
But whoever put that up on Bug's YouTube channel has done a terrible job, doesn't even swing it like you would when prospecting ! Not to mention all the false noises without even swinging it from side to side properly ! :N:
All that vid has proven to me that the QED is a temperamental thing, and doesn't like variable mineralisation ! :eek:

The vids in Howards backyard are appalling too, with the QED squealing on the ground before Howard even puts his one gram nugget ON the ground. :N:

When is Howard going to produce some really informative vids, for the benefit of potential buyers, on real targets, in some real goldfield ground ?

Rick

Would love to ask more questions here, but the problem is anytime one even questions anything regards this machine, it's met with a barrage of abuse. In fact have even been publically threatened on other forums regards this :D Yeah I'm scared :rolleyes:
There have been some wild and wonderful claims made regards the QED and do I question them ? Yes very much so I'm afraid, and hence why I question them.
Why don't I purchase one and give it a go ? Firstly from what I have seen, if I purchased and should so much as ask or question the machine I would now own, would be slammed without mercy. Then secondly because it appears that resale value is such that I'd cop a big loss if not suitable. Would I buy one ? Yes, if it can yield results as well as a similarly priced machine. For my money the biggest handicap the QED has ................. is the politics surrounding it.

Being a novice, this type of comment throws me At least with the QED you can reliably ground balance these possible signals either in or out.
If a nugget and boot tack for example is in the same hole, how does it achieve this ? The experts and gun operators I have spoke with tell me it isn't so ?
Would love an answer to this type of thing, but before the personal shite throwing and threats start, if it cannot be just a factual reply regarding the machine, then please don't even bother to do so.
Cheers

Araratgold said:
OK Reg,
But whoever put that up on Bug's YouTube channel has done a terrible job, doesn't even swing it like you would when prospecting ! Not to mention all the false noises without even swinging it from side to side properly !

Rick

Rick,

The way I view it is only a demonstration video and not a prospecting video but what is the proper way to swing a coil when prospecting?
Swinging a coil from side to side can it create more false signals than swinging a coil in a more forward direction?

Robert

Bogger said:
Would love to ask more questions here, but the problem is anytime one even questions anything regards this machine, it's met with a barrage of abuse. In fact have even been publically threatened on other forums regards this :D Yeah I'm scared :rolleyes:
There have been some wild and wonderful claims made regards the QED and do I question them ? Yes very much so I'm afraid, and hence why I question them.

Not on this forum you won't, we won't tolerate any of that crap here and will ban anyone who starts flaming or abusing others for asking a question or posting less than desirable test results that are fair and unbiased.

Reg Wilson said:
Oh, and by the way, that is not Howard's voice in that video, and therefore it can be assumed that it is not Howard making it.
My bad there. I got an email from YouTube saying Bugwhiskers had a new video & assumed it was Howard after hearing he was making some in response to Rick's. I've only spoken to him the one time so didn't pick it wasn't his voice. Apologies to Howard & those who thought it was him.
Either way it makes me wonder why he'd put that up on his YouTube channel. Like another video he has on there it in no way shows the QED in a good light, demo or not. From reports I (& other users here) cop a bit of slagging on Doug's hidden forum when we raise issues. In all the QED videos I've watched those issues are obvious to me & seem common place. The above video in question they seem to be even worse than what I am currently experiencing hence my comment I think I'm going great with it if that is a good demonstration! I seem to have mine running reasonably well now in the majority of areas.
Edit: I can't believe that they endorse the above video but then slag Rick's. Rick's video shows the QED operating a lot smoother & actually shows it can find gold buried in mineralised ground + to me the importance of maintaining a gain of at least around 4-5.

Rush if your detecting any area then swinging from side to side with overlapping lines is the most productive way to cover the ground effectively. Pushing the coil forward with short or no swings would be counterproductive to my way of thinking & mean a lot of ground missed or a lot more time needed to cover an area. It is quite obvious in that video there are some noises that need investigating or are just spurious noises - either way the operator does not appear concerned with them at all.

When I'm in an area where it is difficult to keep the QED settled & I'm getting similar spurious noise I find it very frustrating although as Reg says the +/- on the GB can help. Bogger using this method is for ground noise only - it's not a discrimination method. It doesn't always completely remove ground noise either & sometimes just diminishes the signal. In any case I'm yet to have one of these turn into a target on checking/digging it but I still don't doubt it could happen on very small or deep gold.

mbasko said:
Rush if your detecting any area then swinging from side to side with overlapping lines is the most productive way to cover the ground effectively. Pushing the coil forward with short or no swings would be counterproductive to my way of thinking & mean a lot of ground missed or a lot more time needed to cover an area.

Once a first piece is found then yes swinging from side to side with overlapping lines it is the most productive way to cover ground however to my way of thinking a lot more time is then needed to cover an area, more so if your plan is to prospect a large area or as much ground as possible and if you have placed time constraints for prospecting a certain area or a large area.

Rush said:
mbasko said:
Rush if your detecting any area then swinging from side to side with overlapping lines is the most productive way to cover the ground effectively. Pushing the coil forward with short or no swings would be counterproductive to my way of thinking & mean a lot of ground missed or a lot more time needed to cover an area.

Once a first piece is found then yes swinging from side to side with overlapping lines it is the most productive way to cover ground however to my way of thinking a lot more time is then needed to cover an area, more so if your plan is to prospect a large area or as much ground as possible and if you have placed time constraints for prospecting a certain area or a large area.
In a large area I would be using the same method - just a larger coil for bigger footprint & also use a quicker swing speed. Once gold is found then obviously you slow right down & look at different coil sizes depending on gold type/size/depth. Each to their own though - just trying to explain how I would do it.

Latest posts